Groundshares: The Ultimate List

HibeeJibee

Inspired by itzdrk's thread, I went looking for a list of groundshares in SFL/SPL/SPFL history. There doesn't seem to be one. Let's make one.

Obviously there are all kind of reasons why clubs have played single games elsewhere over the years...

... as a result, I'm going by a criteria of playing at least 2 consecutive home games on another ground.

Here's what I came up with.

I'm particularly unsure about the situation with Dumbarton in 2001-02 (and what did they do in 2000-01?).

Berwick shared towards end of 1988-89 & 1991-92, IIRC, when locked-out of Shielfield. Still to double-check exactly when/where.

No doubt others will have more to add.

1908-09

Partick Thistle shared mainly with Rangers

1914-15

Clyde shared mainly with Celtic, from October

1919-20

Clyde shared with Celtic, until Christmas

Albion Rovers shared with Airdrieonians, until Christmas

1924-25

both Hibs and St Bernards shared with Hearts, until September and November respectively

1928-29

Celtic shared with Clyde, from March

1934-35

Edinburgh City and Leith Athletic shared the Marine Gardens

1986-87

Clyde shared with Partick - lasted for 5 seasons ending 1990-91

1991-92

Clyde shared with Hamilton Academical - lasted for 3 seasons ending 1993-94

1992-93

Stirling Albion shared with Stenhousemuir

1994-95

Airdrie shared with Clyde - lasted for 4 seasons ending 1997-98

Celtic shared with Queen's Park

Hamilton shared with Partick - lasted for 3 seasons ending 1996-97

1996-97

Clydebank shared with Dumbarton - lasted for 3 seasons ending 1998-99

1997-98

Hamilton shared with Albion Rovers - lasted for 2 seasons ending 1998-99

1999-00

Clydebank shared with Greenock Morton - lasted for 3 seasons ending 2001-02

Hamilton shared with Partick - lasted for 2 seasons ending 2000-01

2000-01

Dumbarton shared with Albion Rovers, until December

2003-04

Falkirk shared with Stenhousemuir

2004-05

Inverness CT shared with Aberdeen, until February

2007-08

Gretna shared mainly with Motherwell

2008-09

East Stirlingshire shared with Stenhousemuir - lasted 8 seasons to date

2013-14

Queen's Park shared with Airdrie from December

2014-15

Queen's Park shared with Airdrie until December

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slight correction with QP. In 2014/15, we shared with Airdrie until December. We've played the odd game at Firhill for different reasons, eg concerts at Hampden, but I don't think we have ever shared the ground for a prolonged period.

Brechin played out of Forfar for two games in 2012/13.

Forgot that one. Your pitch was knackered, IIRC. Were they consecutive games, or only on midweeks?

I'm pretty sure QP played some games out of Firhill or Airdrie during the Olympics

Not sure if 2+ league games though. Anyone?

Sat, 28th Jul 2012 6:35pm

Clyde exited the Ramsdens Cup this afternoon, following a single goal defeat to Partick Thistle.

Over 1,000 supporters attended a sunny Recreation Park to view the sides' first competitive match of the 2012-13 season.

Sat, 18th Aug 2012 6:57pm

Clyde suffered a frustrating defeat at the hands of Peterhead this afternoon, as The Blue Toon ruthlessly took advantage of two defensive errors at Recreation Park.

Forgot that one. Your pitch was knackered, IIRC. Were they consecutive games, or only on midweeks?

They were consecutive games. We beat Ayr 2-1 on a Saturday and got thumped 6-0 by Queen of the South on a Tuesday night. That was the game they won the league that season.

Others which spring to mind recently were Dundee using Tannadice for a game v Rangers as the two stands were going up at Dens, Ayr using Cappielow for a Challenge Cup tie against Raith when new floodlights were being installed at Somerset and Morton playing Rangers at Love Street in a Scottish Cup tie.

It's a little known fact too, that Morton's record attendance, which is commonly recorded as 23,500 for a game against Celtic in 1922, was actually 40,000 for a league game with Rangers which was held at Love Street on 25th April 1949.

They were consecutive games. We beat Ayr 2-1 on a Saturday and got thumped 6-0 by Queen of the South on a Tuesday night. That was the game they won the league that season.

It's the stuff of another thread I suppose, but that was the third time Queens' had won a divisional title.

The previous two had also been sealed at Forfar.

It's the stuff of another thread I suppose, but that was the third time Queens' had won a divisional title.The previous two had also been sealed at Forfar.

We were very nearly playing 3 games a week as we had so many games to catch up on, hence the switch to Forfar. Our pitch was a mess.

In over ten years in the division that Queens performance was the best I have seen from an opposition side. We were absolutely battered.

They played a LC R1 tie at Firhill vs Airdrie and I believe they played the following League Game there as well.

We haven't played at Firhill for two consecutive games so for the purposes of this thread they are irrelevant.

The three games we have played as the home team at Firhill were:

22/08/06, League Cup v Aberdeen, due to Rolling Stones concert.

09/05/07, League 2 Play Off Final 1st Leg v East Fife, due to UEFA Cup Final at Hampden the following week.

04/08/12, League Cup v Airdrie United, due to Olympic football at Hampden.

There's another one to add to your list, Albion Rovers played at Broomfield at the start of 1985/86 season, I think due to safety issues at Cliftonhill,

The Scottish Football League review book of 1986/87 says "Cliftonhill was closed for the start of the league campaign and thanks are once again afforded to the generosity of our good neighbours, Airdrieonians, for allowing Rovers to play their first three home matches at Broomfield Park".

Archived