Chernobyl/Kiev

DDcups

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 3 years of pestering my gf has said we can go for a city break to Kiev. The sole reason is to go for a tour around Chernobyl, Has anyone been? What's it like?

If your on the TAMB give 'Wanderer' a message. Anything to do with travelling around Eastern Europe then he's yer man. I'm sure he must've stayed in Ukraine at some point as he has lots of contacts over there

His wife is Ukrainian if I remember right but like a lot of people from the old USSR, her family was moved about. ð

By choice or by the authorities? If it was the authorities why?

I've been on one of his day tours on a Scotland trip last year to Georgia and it was excellent. A whole day visiting away, you get well fed and it was great value for money

A lot of Russians were relocated to the neighbouring 'Soviet republics' over the years. It's why so much tension still exists in places like Estonia and Latvia which have high Russian populations

A lot of Russians were relocated to the neighbouring 'Soviet republics' over the years. It's why so much tension still exists in places like Estonia and Latvia which have high Russian populations

That's true, I have a friend who born and raised in Riga but considers herself Russian and doesn't recognize Latvia as her country of birth. The strange thing is that she was born after Latvian independence and has never actually been to Russia itself, but still has fervent patriotism for a country she has never been to.

That's true, I have a friend who born and raised in Riga but considers herself Russian and doesn't recognize Latvia as her country of birth. The strange thing is that she was born after Latvian independence and has never actually been to Russia itself, but still has fervent patriotism for a country she has never been to.

I'm British but don't recognise myself as such, I'm Scottish

It's been a big issue in the baltics in particular. Estonia actively denied citizenship to anyone who couldn't trace their roots back to the pre-soviet state. It's been relaxed since then (bit of pressure from the EU helped) but there was still riots in Tallinn a few years back when the authorities tried to move a Soviet war memorial. Shows how live the issue still is

It's been a big issue in the baltics in particular. Estonia actively denied citizenship to anyone who couldn't trace their roots back to the pre-soviet state. It's been relaxed since then (bit of pressure from the EU helped) but there was still riots in Tallinn a few years back when the authorities tried to move a Soviet war memorial. Shows how live the issue still is

Did they not make being fluent in Estonian a condition of getting any public sector jobs? Likewise in Lithuania and Latvia? Which basically ruled most ethnic Russians out.

Did they not make being fluent in Estonian a condition of getting any public sector jobs? Likewise in Lithuania and Latvia? Which basically ruled most ethnic Russians out.

I get the three mixed up but think Estonia was the most hardline with Lithuania the least. Latvia in between the two

Think a lot of public sector jobs required citizenship which required a (pretty tough) language test so yeah Russians were basically excluded

Kyiv is quality plenty of stuff to visit and the beer is cheap and the women are stunning.

Stayed at Hotel Ukraine which overlooked the maidan square which had beer tents during the day.

Was dirt cheap when I was there apart from the hotel bar which became a pole dancing bar at night :o

Cheeky mares tried to get you buying the brandy and ferreo rocher :lol:

The group funds took a kicking there on a couple of occasions.

Had a look round the Olympic Stadium and Kyiv's ground but could no see much but saw the monument to the war time team who plated against the Nazi's.

If you like military history Madra Mat - mother of the nation is worth a visit.

Visited Odessa too but Kyiv was immense.

It's been a big issue in the baltics in particular. Estonia actively denied citizenship to anyone who couldn't trace their roots back to the pre-soviet state.

Georgia did the same. A bad idea which cost them Abkhazia.

• 3 weeks later...

Crimea is great! Nature there is very beautiful and the sea is much more clean then in Turkey for example. 

about Kiev I have been, quite nice, Lavra I liked a lot, and some old streets worth seeing also

about Chernobil, as for me only crazy people go there, it can be still dangerous, an empty city, like in horror movie

My Pals ex would say she was Russian to everyone but he was helping with her passport application and noticed on her certificate the place of birth was Kyrgyzstan. She wouldn't even recognise the country and said her mother always called it Russia. 

My Pals ex would say she was Russian to everyone but he was helping with her passport application and noticed on her certificate the place of birth was Kyrgyzstan. She wouldn't even recognise the country and said her mother always called it Russia.

My mate lives in Toronto with his Russian girlfriend. Actually born in the newly formed Belarus, before moving to Toronto when she was 4. She maintains she's Russian, as do all her family.

• 10 months later...
After 3 years of pestering my gf has said we can go for a city break to Kiev. The sole reason is to go for a tour around Chernobyl, Has anyone been? What's it like?

Just wondering how you got on with you're trip

I'm looking at heading over in October if I can price it up reasonably

Also if anyone who has been can say how safe it is to go to Chernobyl aswell as if it's safe enough with the whole Russian carry on? Last time I was there 3 people died a couple of days before I arrived in riots!

Archived