Chernobyl/Kiev

DDcups

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 3 years of pestering my gf has said we can go for a city break to Kiev. The sole reason is to go for a tour around Chernobyl, Has anyone been? What's it like?

Yes and its amazing to see it up close,i used a local tour operator in kiev but just hit google if you want to book it before you go as i believe you need to be booked a week in advance nowadays

Kiev is also a blast,shooters bar is a must visit

After 3 years of pestering my gf has said we can go for a city break to Kiev. The sole reason is to go for a tour around Chernobyl, Has anyone been? What's it like?

Its radiant.

There's a Dundee Utd fan on here who has spent time in Kyiv recently, might be worth a shout. I haven't been since Maidan but I'm going in July although elsewhere in Ukraine, would love to do Chernobyl some day. 30th Anniversary tomorrow as it happens.

There's a Dundee Utd fan on here who has spent time in Kyiv recently, might be worth a shout. I haven't been since Maidan but I'm going in July although elsewhere in Ukraine, would love to do Chernobyl some day. 30th Anniversary tomorrow as it happens.

Any betting tips?

Any betting tips?

Metalurg Zaporizhya went bust during the season sadly.

DD, if you're into computer games then I would recommend S.T.A.L.E.R: Call of Pripyat, if just to have a look around. Should be available for a couple of quid.

Been to Kiev a couple of times. It's a great city and Ukraine is a wonderful country. I know a guy who is the most travelled man on earth and he's spent most of his post-exploration time in Kiev, so quite the recommendation.

There's a great bar called Ward Number Six (after the Chekhov story about a mental hospital), it's Palata Nomer Shestoi in Russian so ask for/Google that. Barmaids dressed as nurses, barmen as surgeons, shots from test-tubes. One of the drinks involves donning a WWII helmet, having it set on fire and then being smacked upside the head with a wrench, health and safety be damned. The theme is well applied but it's rough around the edges and you don't need to dress up or spend a lot of money, it should also be fine to bring your girlfriend to.

What's the best way to get there? The flights I've seen are 20hrs.

When I went I got Ryanair flights from Prestwick to Riga, stayed there for a night then Air Baltic flights to Kiev and returned the same way. It wasn't too expensive. It was quite an interesting contrast between Latvia and the Ukraine though, despite both being former Soviet states it definitely felt like I'd crossed a line when I left the EU. 

What's the best way to get there? The flights I've seen are 20hrs.

KLM do Glasgow via Paris or Amsterdam to Boryspil. Or you could get a cheap flight to eastern Poland and get an overnight train (was a shame when Ryanair disbanded Prestwick-Rzerzow).

There was talk of Wizzair creating a Glasgow-Kyiv direct route but haven't heard anything about that for a while, would be ideal. Wizzair do direct from London Luton as well. In terms of the airports, Boryspil, the main airport, is about 20 miles away but can get regular coaches cheaply enough to the main train station. Zhulyany airport is about 20 minutes in a taxi to Khreschatyk.

KLM do Glasgow via Paris or Amsterdam to Boryspil. Or you could get a cheap flight to eastern Poland and get an overnight train (was a shame when Ryanair disbanded Prestwick-Rzerzow).

There was talk of Wizzair creating a Glasgow-Kyiv direct route but haven't heard anything about that for a while, would be ideal. Wizzair do direct from London Luton as well. In terms of the airports, Boryspil, the main airport, is about 20 miles away but can get regular coaches cheaply enough to the main train station. Zhulyany airport is about 20 minutes in a taxi to Khreschatyk.

KLM, Air France and Turkish are the 3 big ones I've seen and it's all long stop overs. I'll check Luton out.

Archived