Malta v Scotland

tartanspark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

Malta, ranked between Tahiti and Laos. Even fucking Celtic could beat...........aw, haud on a minute.....

I imagine Georgia were ranked below some absolute haddies both times they beat us.  The rankings are meaningless at the top of the tree, let alone further down the chain where there is absolutely no way of comparing them.  

Last I can remember of the Maltese, they were famous in the Eighties for being the most defensive national side in Europe. I think they used to start with six at the back. Anyone know how they play these days?

Going by our results against them from back when we had better players, and they were probably worse, 1-0 would be a relief. Depressing, I know.

Strachan probably knows he'll be punted or he'll walk if we don't take 6/6 in the first two games. I'd hope it would be our strongest 11, well near to it anyway.

We are gradually bringing through the younger players. Kingsley, Tierney, McGinn, Bain, Burke and Paterson are gradually being eased in squad after squad. It's maybe not the quality we're hoping for but its a start.

I'd go

Marshall

Whittaker Martin Hanley Robertson

Ritchie McArthur Fletcher Snodgrass

Rhodes McCormack

Play a narrow midfield and let the full backs provide width. Plenty creativity there.

Wouldn't say no to that starting line up although I'd swap Snodgrass with Rhodes, Anya for Rhodes and Patterson for Whittaker.

The squad needs an overhaul for this game. I was not impressed with Scott Brown the other night  and Gordon Greer is a tad old now. This is a game we should be looking to take the 3 points comfortably and as such we could experiment in a couple of positions. Scott Bain in goal for a start Tierney at left back Hanley and Berra bringing on Kingsley as a sub for either if we are comfortable and at right back Callum Paterson. Matt Phillips and Barrie Mckay on the wings with John McGinn and I hope Ryan Gauld in the centre. Upfront Tony Watt and Leigh Griffiths.

Not many stand out names but then all these players should be man for man better than the Malta squad. A strong Scottish based player presence and all of them would be desperate to make the jersey there own. Most of these players are first team for there clubs as well.

Why not just bring in loads of guys with virtually no international experience for a must win game?
Oh wait, you have.

On 14/07/2016 at 12:15, Doonhamer doon south said:

The squad needs an overhaul for this game. I was not impressed with Scott Brown the other night  and Gordon Greer is a tad old now. This is a game we should be looking to take the 3 points comfortably and as such we could experiment in a couple of positions. Scott Bain in goal for a start Tierney at left back Hanley and Berra bringing on Kingsley as a sub for either if we are comfortable and at right back Callum Paterson. Matt Phillips and Barrie Mckay on the wings with John McGinn and I hope Ryan Gauld in the centre. Upfront Tony Watt and Leigh Griffiths.

Not many stand out names but then all these players should be man for man better than the Malta squad. A strong Scottish based player presence and all of them would be desperate to make the jersey there own. Most of these players are first team for there clubs as well.

I'm loving your commitment to giving youth players a chance, in particular the idea of leaving out 30 year old Russell Martin in favour of 31 year old Chirstophe Berra.

I'm loving your commitment to giving youth players a chance, in particular the idea of leaving out 30 year old Russell Martin in favour of 31 year old Chirstophe Berra.

I seem to get a phone notification everytime you post. Nae offence but how do i stop this?

You should have finished this post with

FREEEEEDOM

15 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I seem to get a phone notification everytime you post. Nae offence but how do i stop this?

Strange, nothing I've done as far as I'm aware! Maybe there's something you can turn off in Account Settings > Notification Settings? @Div, any advice?

Found it actually, in your settings go to Manage Followed Content & then Members, should be able to turn it off in there.

This is precisely the type of game we'll Labour to a goalless draw in.

Strachan will say it's a decent result because all of our players are absolutely awful at football.

He will also moan about how unfair it is that 6 of his fave players arent fit enough because they cant get a game at club level and the guys doing well in epl dont fit our system so need to be ignored....

to my post earlier in the thread its just my opinion that the squad needs an overhaul. I would like to see those players mentioned given an opportunity and most of the squad I posted are experienced first team with their clubs. I concede it is a very inexperienced squad but it is Malta. we could beat |Malta with that squad couldn't we.

also dunning cheers for pointing out ages of berra/martin just shows I didn't put too much thought/research before I posted.

didn't mean to upset or annoy anyone guys

Archived