The 2016/17 New Kit Thread

djchapsticks

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see the PSG fans being too happy about that strip. They've been very precious about their stripe in the past so to lose it altogether seems a strange move, even allowing for Nike's bucks.

They don't always have a stripe on the away shirt though, so they? Although my favourite away kit of theirs was the one a few years ago that was like an Ajax top but with a blue line between the red and white sections. 

Both Nike and Adidas kit templates are awful these days anyway - the Adidas stripes under the shoulder is very 1990's and the Nike sleeves are poor too. Add to that this fad (mostly with international kits it seems) for the same coloured shorts (which seems to be a UEFA or FIFA dictat about dark and light colours but at the same time doesn't seem to be adhered to by everyone) and we're in a poor place kit design wise.

59 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

They don't always have a stripe on the away shirt though, so they?

Oops. You're right of course. For some reason I thought it was their new home strip despite the lack of blue. Another coffee needed I think.

empoli-16-17-home-kit-1.jpg

New Joma Empoli kit. Would have made a nice top for a certain Scottish Premiership team...

St Johnstone???

Leeds always get decent kits, that one isn't as good as last year's but it's still very decent.

I'm actually slightly ashamed to admit I own two Leeds United tops, and I quite fancy buying both of last season's.

leeds-united-15-16-kits.jpg

11 hours ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

empoli-16-17-home-kit-1.jpg

New Joma Empoli kit. Would have made a nice top for a certain Scottish Premiership team...

4 hours ago, Yellow Feet said:

Sponsor would still have destroyed it

Both right. It's a cracker and it's even the right wrong blue for us but our used car salesman would ruin any top. Still, better to have a smart shirt defaced than a horrific one made even worse.

Joma aren't the greatest but they aren't as bad as made out, although I can't vouch for the quality. As far as Saints are concerned the fault  lies completely with whoever chooses the strips at McDiarmid. Joma always have a few tops that would be good but we avoid them and go for the crappiest ones or if there aren't any crappy enough they design one even more crappy to meet our demands. The principle of having a bespoke strip is great but only we could f**k it up in such a magnificent manner.

I actually kind of feel sorry for St. Johnstone in terms of their Joma kits. They have been hit with no rotten kits in the last few years but they are always cheap and washed out looking.

Always remember they produced a few good ones under Xara as well.

5 hours ago, Yellow Feet said:

Sponsor would still have destroyed it

At least you would have a nice kit with a shit sponsor, rather than a shit kit with a shit sponsor. Could probably just peel off the saltire nipples anyway.

24 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Joma aren't the greatest but they aren't as bad as made out, although I can't vouch for the quality. As far as Saints are concerned the fault  lies completely with whoever chooses the strips at McDiarmid. Joma always have a few tops that would be good but we avoid them and go for the crappiest ones or if there aren't any crappy enough they design one even more crappy to meet our demands. The principle of having a bespoke strip is great but only we could f**k it up in such a magnificent manner.

They're like most kit manufacturers, only really putting a bit of effort into the big teams, the best Joma kits this season I think are Swnansea, Palermo and Empoli. Macron is one of the few who seem to actually bother putting in some work for the smaller teams (Motherwell's have mostly been fantastic).

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I actually kind of feel sorry for St. Johnstone in terms of their Joma kits. They have been hit with no rotten kits in the last few years but they are always cheap and washed out looking.

Always remember they produced a few good ones under Xara as well.

Definitely. I still own and wear this cracker.

hardiepeaso.jpg

Last of the xara ones, IIRC.

1 hour ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

They're like most kit manufacturers, only really putting a bit of effort into the big teams, the best Joma kits this season I think are Swnansea, Palermo and Empoli. Macron is one of the few who seem to actually bother putting in some work for the smaller teams (Motherwell's have mostly been fantastic).

That's true but let's be honest, they're football strips. There's no need to go through the process of trying to re-invent the wheel every season just for the sake of being different, even allowing for sales. I like different but only when it's appropriate. Most fans just want a decent strip, not a ground breaking trend setter. I've noticed that on P&B anyway the plainer, less fiddly strips tend to go down the best along with those that are updated versions of older tops. I just don't think it should take the greatest design brains to come up with good quality designs for football tops. 

Archived