London

QPStu

Currently enjoying it's delights with family. 18 year old son has been given 3 phone numbers by random burds, one was serving him food!! Needless to say he is in his fucking element and wants to live here :lol:

That's the bill not a telephone number.

Nevertheless, I'm surprised you have an 18 year old son. I'd have you in the early 20s age range.

Fair enjoyed that. Making way homeward now. Wee man had a ball. We found the required number of parks and fountains to let him run off his endless energy, I even managed a solitary pint inside Greenwich Market whilst he ate his way through a wage packet of food.

Don't tell the guys that run the helter skelter at the Cutty Sark that he's not five yet!

Different perspective taking a kid to London than going on a session or for work. Much more fun had by all this time.

Greenwich is superb.

6967bc53e522c01b71fc0a4d49582def.jpg

Good to hear you had a good time, I'm thinking of killing 2 birds with the one stone in a few weeks. My grandson is 3 1/2 and was thinking of meeting my son & partner in London - so they can have a wee break & I can spend some quality time with the wee man, as I'm only in the UK on average once or twice a year I like to spend as much time with him as I can.
Also a friend has not long taken a job as an air stewardess (total wid) based as Stanstead so could stay for a week and spend some time at hers too.
If it's not to prying, what were the highlights for your wee boy?

Good to hear you had a good time, I'm thinking of killing 2 birds with the one stone in a few weeks. My grandson is 3 1/2 and was thinking of meeting my son & partner in London - so they can have a wee break & I can spend some quality time with the wee man, as I'm only in the UK on average once or twice a year I like to spend as much time with him as I can.
Also a friend has not long taken a job as an air stewardess (total wid) based as Stanstead so could stay for a week and spend some time at hers too.
If it's not to prying, what were the highlights for your wee boy?

The thing he talked about most after the event was playing on the pirate ship here: www.royalparks.org.uk (Diana Memorial Park, how topical!). We spent quite a bit of time in there.

He predictably loved being the "driver" on the Docklands Railway, every kid would enjoy that.

And I'd hesitate to recommend it, because I know it is due to close for refit of that wing soon, but the Ahoy! kids zone at the Maritime Museum Greenwich was a lot of fun and really geared up for kids of pre school age. If it's still open, it will be a guaranteed hit.

Finally if you go in decent weather take a pair of swimming shorts, as there are a load of kid friendly fountains for splashing in.

He had a ball I must say. We only did a Fri-Sun but I'm sure we could easily have killed more time there, and we spent most of our time in Greenwich alone, so plenty we didn't see.

14 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Going on Wednesday for 3 nights. Best food market to visit?

Recommended Spitalfields market near Liverpool Street before for eating, Borough Market by London Bridge is probably better for buying. There are much cheaper ones of course.

The thing he talked about most after the event was playing on the pirate ship here: www.royalparks.org.uk (Diana Memorial Park, how topical!). We spent quite a bit of time in there.

He predictably loved being the "driver" on the Docklands Railway, every kid would enjoy that.

And I'd hesitate to recommend it, because I know it is due to close for refit of that wing soon, but the Ahoy! kids zone at the Maritime Museum Greenwich was a lot of fun and really geared up for kids of pre school age. If it's still open, it will be a guaranteed hit.

Finally if you go in decent weather take a pair of swimming shorts, as there are a load of kid friendly fountains for splashing in.

He had a ball I must say. We only did a Fri-Sun but I'm sure we could easily have killed more time there, and we spent most of our time in Greenwich alone, so plenty we didn't see.

Thanks for the info.

15 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

So you didn't take him to the Meantime Brewery tour I recommended?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, abjectplop said:

Can anyone recommend a good pub or pubs around Royal Albert Hall? Down for a gig next Friday and staying nearby.

i was in a place called the queens arms (im  trying to remember if it was the queens arms or queens hall) only about a 2min walk from the Rah,it was fine but will be rammed afore a gig.There are plenty around so im sure you will find one to suit.Your not far from the high street in kensington so if its too busy around just wander up there

Edited by doulikefish

6 hours ago, abjectplop said:

Can anyone recommend a good pub or pubs around Royal Albert Hall? Down for a gig next Friday and staying nearby.

Depends where you are staying, but from RAH, I'd walk past it through Kensington Gardens to Bays water Road. It'll only take 15 to 20 minutes. There's loads around there. Google pubs near Bayswater Road. They won't be as expensive as the ones nearest the hall in South Kensington.

On 03/09/2017 at 20:45, welshbairn said:

I still think a kid would be excited by walking through the "secret" tunnel under the Thames from Greenwich to the Isle of Dogs. Maybe not at 3 1/2 though.

Unfortunately it's a bit manky these days and every time I went through it someone had let their dog shite all over the place so the whole tunnel was stinking. Luckily I was running through it most of the time.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Unfortunately it's a bit manky these days and every time I went through it someone had let their dog shite all over the place so the whole tunnel was stinking. Luckily I was running through it most of the time.

That's a shame.  Used to be spotless even when slightly nervously staggering through it at 4am after a party,