London

QPStu

Apologies if there's a thread already.

At the end of next month I'm going down to Watford to compete in an athletics competition. Since it will be a holiday weekend, I've decided to stay an extra night and go a day trip to London on the train. Having never been before and knowing I won't see everything in a day, any tips on where specifically to go?

Just get the tube to Picadilly circus/Leicester square and things like trafalgar square etc are all within walking distance,they are well signposted,so basically get in the centre and go for a wander

We had this thread a few years ago:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/193831-london-travel-tips/

If you're staying over the weekend then The Southbank is worth wandering round and the weekend street food market is a good lunch stop.  Depending on what part of Watford you're staying you'll come in to either Euston or Baker Street.  The Watford Junction - Euston line is better as it only takes 15ish minutes whereas the Metropolitan line (from memory) is close to an hour.

Lots of posters here know London so help us a bit and say some of the things you're interested in and you'll get some input.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll try to take in the main things, eg Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square. For a first visit, I'm reluctant to venture off the well worn tourist track.

Final question, any reasonable cafes, bars etc in these areas to stop for tea/coffee, a beer and/or bite to eat (thanks for the food market suggestion).

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll try to take in the main things, eg Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square. For a first visit, I'm reluctant to venture off the well worn tourist track.

Final question, any reasonable cafes, bars etc in these areas to stop for tea/coffee, a beer and/or bite to eat (thanks for the food market suggestion).

They have incredible ' all you can eat' places in Soho.

Or so I'm told. :rolleyes:

There are good pubs in Whitehall, e.g. the Clarence and the Weatherspoon (forget the name) at the Trafalgar Square end and the Red Lion near Parliament Square.

Other decent pubs in Westminster are the St Stephen's Tavern (opposite Big Ben), the Westminster Arms (opposite the Abbey), and the Marquis of Granby (just off Smith Square).

There are more reasonable pubs and bars in Horseferry Road. For cheap cafes, go to the streets around St James's Park tube station. 

A Tastecard (http://www.tastecard.co.uk/) will save you money in lots of pubs and restaurants like Pizza Express, Strada, Ask, La Tasca and Zizzi. It's only a £1 for three months membership at the moment. 

Only downside with tastecard is you have to eat in restaurants like Pizza Express, Strada, Ask, La Tasca and Zizzi.

Not true. I use mine in local pubs and Indian restaurants. The last time I used it in central London was in Greig's, a good Mayfair restaurant which has great steaks.

Not true. I use mine in local pubs and Indian restaurants. The last time I used it in central London was in Gregg's, a good Mayfair restaurant which has great steakbakes.

I don't eat Gregg's shite. Only wankers and losers edit posts like that. But then you're an Arab so it's to be expected. 

Don't waste your time queuing to get into Madam Tussauds. Over-priced shite.

The London Dungeons was a bit of a laugh though and it's right next to the wheel. You can see the sights on foot and it doesn't cost you anything! If you plan on taking in a show then I highly recommend The Lion King. Jersey Boys tells the story of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons and is a good watch if their music interested you. Thriller is also a good laugh as well. I'm thinking of going down in June and fancy going to see The Mousetrap if it's still playing.

Take a walk through Chinatown and the surrounding areas at night (Piccadilly Circus/Leicester Square) as it's nice when lit up.

I found London to be quite cheap as the majority of things to see cost nothing. It all depends on what you enjoy. Check google for ideas as well.

Edited by 19QOS19

Seeing as this is a thread about London I thought I'd put my question here.

any good pubs/bars in London that serve a wide selection of rums?  Going down next weekend to see a gig at the Koko and we'll be staying close to Paddington station so if there is anything good close to those places that would be good.  Somewhere that isn't full of pretensions dickheads is also preferred!

The London Dungeons was a bit of a laugh though and it's right next to the wheel.

I went in there with the fucker of all hangovers and one of the dressed up c***s jumped out at me from the darkness.

It was nearly the end of both of us.

• 1 month later...

Heading to London for a long weekend tomorrow for the 1st time in a few years, and I've just clocked the price of the Tube. £12.10 for a day ticket?! But £7.60 with an Oyster Card. Question is: can i get a Oyster card at a main station or tube station that will save me a few pound while I'm there for 3 days? The Transport for London website doesn't make it particularly clear.

Heading to London for a long weekend tomorrow for the 1st time in a few years, and I've just clocked the price of the Tube. £12.10 for a day ticket?! But £7.60 with an Oyster Card. Question is: can i get a Oyster card at a main station or tube station that will save me a few pound while I'm there for 3 days? The Transport for London website doesn't make it particularly clear.

Aye you can pick 1 up in shops, mainline station or at airports (defo london city)

Forgot to add the shops that sell them have the wee oyster card symbol in the window

Edited by doulikefish