London

QPStu

On 12/09/2016 at 18:47, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Re salt beef bagels, I had an excellent one at the Borough Market when I was last down - would thoroughly recommend a visit. Hundreds of food stalls representing every kind of food you could want from all over the world. If I'd had my way we'd have gone every day.

This is one of the reasons why i find London great when visiting. So many markets with so much choice in foods from all parts of the world. Suppose for the likes of Kinky staying there it would eventually bore the tits off you but there is nowhere in Scotland or indeed the rest of the UK that even comes close to the capital. Shame i'll not be back down for at least a couple of months now.

Billy Joel and the Jersey Boys both fantastic last weekend.  City Airport pretty good and under £40 for a taxi into the centre.  Think the tubes are bloody expensive, the only other place I use an underground system is Barcelona and it's a lot more straightforward and also cheaper.

Spolit for choice eating wise and the price of the food very reasonable.  Can't say the same for the wine!

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Unlimited tubes in zones 1 and 2 for £6 odds a day is not expensive. Straightforward to use as well.

As I say the only comparison I can give is Barcelona.  1€ per trip - 70p before the pound crashed, 85p now.  You know you have x amount of trips when you buy a ticket and don't get ripped off for a visitor Oyster Card.

41 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

As I say the only comparison I can give is Barcelona.  1€ per trip - 70p before the pound crashed, 85p now.  You know you have x amount of trips when you buy a ticket and don't get ripped off for a visitor Oyster Card.

I don't get it, am I missing something?

It's  £1.70 for a single bus journey in Perth.  £6 odds for unlimited journeys in London is not expensive in my eyes. The underground could work out expensive if you need 7 or 8 zones but if you are visiting, zones 1 and 2 are basically all you need. 

London is ok. Obviously it's got plenty going for it but the number of these organic, superfood, walls-painted-lime-green places that are springing up in ever increasing numbers just makes me shake my head. 

There is a guy I worked with for a while until he switched jobs recently who drank beetroot juice as his morning pick-me-up of choice. That's the sort of pish that should get you a good hiding. Fuckin beetroot juice my arse. 

London transport is cheap if you plan ahead (Oyster or contactless), spending £40 to get from City Airport to the centre is embarrassing mate.

edit - red dotted you to go with what should be a red face.

Edited by drs

On 9/14/2016 at 22:52, The_Kincardine said:

On you go, Scarfy...give us a debrief.  Where did you go and what did you eat?

Barely anywhere Kinky m8. 

We just went to come local boozers really, the sort of Wetherspoons and Fullers chains.  We forgot how expensive London is and ended up having our grub in those pubs!

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Barely anywhere Kinky m8. 

We just went to come local boozers really, the sort of Wetherspoons and Fullers chains.  We forgot how expensive London is and ended up having our grub in those pubs!

Aye, London can be eye-wateringly pricey and you don't get many bargains!  Did you have a good time, though?

7 hours ago, drs said:

London transport is cheap if you plan ahead (Oyster or contactless), spending £40 to get from City Airport to the centre is embarrassing mate.

edit - red dotted you to go with what should be a red face.

:lol:. Never thought I'd get a red dot for taking a taxi but that's P&B for you.  FWIW neither my wife or I are spring chickens so paying £40 to avoid to changes on the DLR and underground didn't seem too bad.

My comparison of undergrounds was Barcelona and London (a fair comparison I think) and London is far more expensive.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

:lol:. Never thought I'd get a red dot for taking a taxi but that's P&B for you.

That's two now just for whining about dots - even if I agree with your post!

I've not used City airport for years but SAS used to do some ridiculously cheap flights from there to Stockholm so I've used it quite a bit in the past and it's pretty decent.  Plus £40 for a cab to central London is perfectly acceptable.  I've spent more getting home after falling asleep in the train on a Friday night and ending up in Bicester North or some other hell hole.

On 9/19/2016 at 18:54, The_Kincardine said:

Aye, London can be eye-wateringly pricey and you don't get many bargains!  Did you have a good time, though?

Yeah was decent.  Absolutely piping hot the whole time we were down so the Thames skyline looked even more glorious than usual.  Had a good day out in and around Leicester Square and Piccadilly circus too.

It's a  gimmick lads. I had the rainbow, burd had normal. No taste difference somehow, never checked colours coming out the other end either, would've updated you on that. It was out of one of the 2 bagel shops next to each other on Brick Lane, the rainbows sell out every day seemingly so had to test the fucker out. Far far better things to spend your money on within 100 meters IMO.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 16:21, The_Kincardine said:

Oh behave.  A salt beef bagel is delightful.  Yours looks horrendous, though.

I'm indifferent to pie and mash but I was having a pint after the rugby today with a mate of mine who is a big QPR fan (our sons play for the same rugby team).  He'd been to Loftus Road yesterday and was bemoaning the fact that the local pie shop had been forced to close last year and feels that going to games is no longer the same as his 40-year routine has been disrupted.  Seems like it was a big story in west London: http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/business/end-era-pie-shop-closes-9739495

Easy geez! Pie and Mash is delightful. F.Cooke on Hoxton Street - smashing. :thumsup2

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/09/2016 at 18:56, Granny Danger said:

:lol:. Never thought I'd get a red dot for taking a taxi but that's P&B for you.  FWIW neither my wife or I are spring chickens so paying £40 to avoid to changes on the DLR and underground didn't seem too bad.

My comparison of undergrounds was Barcelona and London (a fair comparison I think) and London is far more expensive.

If you've got a senior railcard (or any railcard) you can link it to an Oystercard and get 1/3 off travel.

• 2 weeks later...

We (2 adults and 2 kids aged 11 and 14) are going to London next week (Friday to Sunday) and I was wondering what's best regarding travel cards. There's the oyster card and a one day travel card, there's also the option for using your bank card. We've never been to London before and will be staying near the archway station. We are flying into Stansted and going into town on the Friday night, all day Saturday and part of Sunday as our flight home isn't until 9pm. Any advice would be appreciated. 

9 hours ago, 50/50 Winner said:

We (2 adults and 2 kids aged 11 and 14) are going to London next week (Friday to Sunday) and I was wondering what's best regarding travel cards. There's the oyster card and a one day travel card, there's also the option for using your bank card. We've never been to London before and will be staying near the archway station. We are flying into Stansted and going into town on the Friday night, all day Saturday and part of Sunday as our flight home isn't until 9pm. Any advice would be appreciated. 

This link should help you out. Archway station is zone 2/3.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares.pdf

Oyster cards, contactless bank cards and apple pay are charged at the pay as you go rate in the table in that link. For zones 1 & 2 that means a £6.50 daily price cap for as many trips in these zones as you like. Travel cards are more expensive so I avoid these. 

Oyster/contactless is the way to go. 

1 hour ago, cal234ey said:

This link should help you out. Archway station is zone 2/3.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares.pdf

Oyster cards, contactless bank cards and apple pay are charged at the pay as you go rate in the table in that link. For zones 1 & 2 that means a £6.50 daily price cap for as many trips in these zones as you like. Travel cards are more expensive so I avoid these. 

Oyster/contactless is the way to go. 

Cheers man, that's a great help. I have the contactless card so I'll just use that.