Getting work done to your house

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a guy offering to clean my gutters for £40.

I said I only needed 3 of the 4 done, and offered £20. He accepted. Took him and his mate a over an hour on ladders. Scooped out loads of crap which got deposited in brown bin.

Excellent value.

You're proud of that?

Couple of dodgy guys did my neighbours gutters and the coving(?) stuff a couple of years back. No idea what they charged but one guy sat in the van the entire time and the other was using only a ladder (two storey house) and a couple of cans of special brew each day. I was genuinely terrified I would open the door and find him smashed up on the patio.

2 guys for a total of just over 2 hours at a cost of £20. You need to get a grip if you think that is exploitation.

A fiver an hour each?

That's exploitation. How can you even argue that?

Edit: no, it was just over an hour, so just short of a tenner an hour. That's still pretty shit.

2 guys for a total of just over 2 hours at a cost of £20. You need to get a grip if you think that is exploitation.

How long would it take them to get there? Overheads - fuel costs, ladder? Theoretically, at least, there should be tax, NI and public liability insurance to pay.

Paying £20 for this job just encourages shady characters who undercut proper tradesmen by not paying taxes etc....and taking chances.

A fiver an hour each?

That's exploitation. How can you even argue that?

Edit: no, it was just over an hour, so just short of a tenner an hour. That's still pretty shit.

Eh? Your maths is a bit out. It took just over an hour for two people, let's call it 3 hours total. More than minimum wage and no doubt tax free. Sounds like as far from exploitation as you could possible be.

Sorry missed the edit. I sure there are plenty of people on here who would like to earn this.

Eh? Your maths is a bit out. It took just over an hour for two people, let's call it 3 hours total. More than minimum wage and no doubt tax free. Sounds like as far from exploitation as you could possible be.

Sorry missed the edit. I sure there are plenty of people on here who would like to earn this.

Less than £7 an hour?

So, assuming they were over 25, that was less than minimum wage. Even under 25 you're still paying them around the minimum wage which, considering you were sending them up ladders and managed to half their rate despite only reducing the workload by a quarter (from 4 gutters to 3), you've still ripped them off.

Less than £7 an hour?

So, assuming they were over 25, that was less than minimum wage. Even under 25 you're still paying them around the minimum wage which, considering you were sending them up ladders and managed to half their rate despite only reducing the workload by a quarter (from 4 gutters to 3), you've still ripped them off.

You are both missing out that this was tax free. My son earns £7.50 before tax and £6.50 after tax. So working on this basis, these people would have to get work paying over £8 per hour.

Even ignoring the lack of tax, public liability insurance etc. Someone earning 7 p.h. cash in hand cannot by any stretch of the imagination be classed as exploited.

You are both missing out that this was tax free. My son earns £7.50 before tax and £6.50 after tax. So working on this basis, these people would have to get work paying over £8 per hour.

Even ignoring the lack of tax, public liability insurance etc. Someone earning 7 p.h. cash in hand cannot by any stretch of the imagination be classed as exploited.

There's a Hearts fan that wouldn't get out of bed for less than £9.00 an hour.

That's one opinion. The guys doing that work are clearly desperate. That desperation is being exploited. The job is worth far more than the sum paid.

Archived