Getting work done to your house

It's been talked about, but the folks are quite happy to leave it at the moment. They would actually sell it in a heartbeat given the chance, but it was the show home of the estate when they bought it - right before the crash. They paid top money for it, Dad spent a further £20k landscaping the garden and I'm unsure they would even break even now....

Saying that, he bought a house in one of the most expensive places in New Zealand, done it up and he's made a packet when he sold it. He could take a loss on the house in Fife, but every penny is a prisoner with him at times.

Don't let him sell at a loss, that's your inheritance he's fucking about with.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't care less, if the folks want to spend it all before they go, fair play and I've told them that.

Saying that, he but some money aside for me in a Panamanian account.

I had lots of moss on my roof and the ridge tiles needed redone with cement.

First firm that was quite a big name came and gave it all the BS about how I would need scaffold and special moss treatment applicator that lasts for twenty years.

Quote was close to £2000.

Phoned up local roofer and he said he would do it for £150!

Turned out he was good to his word. They just used ladders and did a really good job. My neighbours were asking who did it as the tiles were so well done.

Always, always get lots of quotes.

Don't use Internet based or big name companies.

I had lots of moss on my roof and the ridge tiles needed redone with cement.

First firm that was quite a big name came and gave it all the BS about how I would need scaffold and special moss treatment applicator that lasts for twenty years.

Quote was close to £2000.

Phoned up local roofer and he said he would do it for £150!

Turned out he was good to his word. They just used ladders and did a really good job. My neighbours were asking who did it as the tiles were so well done.

Always, always get lots of quotes.

Don't use Internet based or big name companies.

That's just your song.

Mr Rationals dad has more houses than I had teles

Genuine story. When I was at primary school in the early 80s, we were so poor, I stole tatties out of a field to put on our plates.

When I got my first flat when I moved out of the folks home at 19, I used to pick off the mould before putting the bread in the toaster. I took a girl home once, she said I was romantic as I had candles all throughout the house - I never told her that I had run out of emergency credit on the leccy meter and would have to wait about two weeks to get it back on.

My family and I have struggled for a fair bit of our lives, I'm proud of where we have come from and how far we have travelled.

I still have beans on toast for tea....

Genuine story. When I was at primary school in the early 80s, we were so poor, I stole tatties out of a field to put on our plates.

When I got my first flat when I moved out of the folks home at 19, I used to pick off the mould before putting the bread in the toaster. I took a girl home once, she said I was romantic as I had candles all throughout the house - I never told her that I had run out of emergency credit on the leccy meter and would have to wait about two weeks to get it back on.

My family and I have struggled for a fair bit of our lives, I'm proud of where we have come from and how far we have travelled.

Good lad.

I upgraded to spaghetti hoops though.

Beans are for when I have an aldi Killie pie

I remember during the miners strike of the mid 80's as a wee boy going to the local miners welfare for a hot meal each day and getting Xmas presents that year and grocery parcels from the miners families funds, no toilet roll included we were given old newspapers to use. Having to wipe ones arse with the Daily Record and Sun is more than ironic given their journalism standards past and present, especialy the latter

I remember during the miners strike of the mid 80's as a wee boy going to the local miners welfare for a hot meal each day and getting Xmas presents that year and grocery parcels from the miners families funds, no toilet roll included we were given old newspapers to use. Having to wipe ones arse with the Daily Record and Sun is more than ironic given their journalism standards past and present, especialy the latter

At least you've admitted to being a serf.

Got a tear in my eye there, Rational. You never said you bought full fat milk, split it into two cartons then watered it down to semi skimmed so it lasted longer so on that basis, no sympathy hand job for you.

8.5/10

My family used to do that and it was only a few years ago it clicked it was to save money. I just thought my family liked watery milk.

Archived