Getting work done to your house

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before we got our gutters replaced I used to just hang out the bedroom windows and scoop the muck out. Did have a few moments of balance loss and impending doom, but cost f**k all.

Getting the work done myself is a no-no. Everything goes through the letting agency, they arrange it and to be completely fair to them, the work is done then that is that. Quick, efficient and to a good standard.

The total cost of stuff is coming in around the £1300 mark as there's a lot to be done and the majority of it is just things like replacing an extractor fan, fixing grouting etc, so I'm happy to go with it all provided it's over a few months. The biggie is that the garden and trees seriously need trimmed down, again I'm happy to pay for what is needing done.

But I nearly fainted at the cost of the guttering. £80 to get it done - yep, that's fine - £500 for scaffolding for one wee bit of it?

I look after my folks home while they swan about traveling the world. It's basically a new build (although it's around 10 years old now), it's a 4 bedroom upstairs downstairs job to give you the picture.

Anyhow, the annual report comes in from the rental agency, it needs a bit of work done to it, nothing major although it's going to have to be spread over a few months. I started to look at the list and phoned up the guy who is maintaining it from their side, we get on quite well and I trust him.

'£80 for the guttering and roof of the summer extension to get done, that seems fair, let's go and do that next'....

'We need to get scaffolding erected for a part of it'....

'Okay, rough price please?'

'Could be anything up to £800, should be about £500 roughly'.

'............................' - as I hit the floor.

I've asked him to get another quote for me. Is this the cost of getting your guttering done?

Tell your parents to organise this themselves.

Also, I stay in a 2 storey house and was charged £60 to get my gutters cleaned last year by a guy who used a ladder.

Getting the work done myself is a no-no. Everything goes through the letting agency, they arrange it and to be completely fair to them, the work is done then that is that. Quick, efficient and to a good standard.

The total cost of stuff is coming in around the £1300 mark as there's a lot to be done and the majority of it is just things like replacing an extractor fan, fixing grouting etc, so I'm happy to go with it all provided it's over a few months. The biggie is that the garden and trees seriously need trimmed down, again I'm happy to pay for what is needing done.

But I nearly fainted at the cost of the guttering. £80 to get it done - yep, that's fine - £500 for scaffolding for one wee bit of it?

If they want to arrange it and who does it tell them to fucking pay for it then.

Do yourself a favour and cancel the letting agency contract, if you can. Arrange for the upkeep and maintenance yourself.

I used to do work for letting agencies. It's a printing money exercise for both sides. If something needed done, they'd contact me, i'd work out how much it would cost, add on whetever I felt like, they in turn would add 12% as their fee - which amounted to a couple of phone calls and bill the lot to the client.

They play on the fact that most landlords are not able or available (out of the country etc....) to do the work. It's a trust thing and they take advantage of it. It's how they make money.

Do yourself a favour and cancel the letting agency contract, if you can. Arrange for the upkeep and maintenance yourself.

It's been talked about, but the folks are quite happy to leave it at the moment. They would actually sell it in a heartbeat given the chance, but it was the show home of the estate when they bought it - right before the crash. They paid top money for it, Dad spent a further £20k landscaping the garden and I'm unsure they would even break even now....

Saying that, he bought a house in one of the most expensive places in New Zealand, done it up and he's made a packet when he sold it. He could take a loss on the house in Fife, but every penny is a prisoner with him at times.

It's been talked about, but the folks are quite happy to leave it at the moment. They would actually sell it in a heartbeat given the chance, but it was the show home of the estate when they bought it - right before the crash. They paid top money for it, Dad spent a further £20k landscaping the garden and I'm unsure they would even break even now....

Saying that, he bought a house in one of the most expensive places in New Zealand, done it up and he's made a packet when he sold it. He could take a loss on the house in Fife, but every penny is a prisoner with him at times.

This house, is it in Duloch?

There's a lot of pish answers on here, including from people who should know better. Nothing wrong with portable scaffolding so long as it's suitable for the height and it won't cost £500 to hire.

Once it's done insert hedgehog (and rainwater down pipe grid covers) so they won't have the issue to deal with again.

Archived