Getting work done to your house

36 minutes ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

We had that doing a final drain test for the local authorities once. Had all the drains bunged and the u-gauge on sitting pretty at 40, suddenly the gauge shoots up and empties itself and the building officer was jumping up and down going loco asking if we were cheating, getting people to top up traps etc. Next thing a joiner comes out the plot with the paper underarm whistling, at the time as an apprentice I had the joy of removing the bung from the manhole and getting slapped on the knuckles (gloves on thankfully) with a fresh Lincoln Log.

:lol:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

We had that doing a final drain test for the local authorities once. Had all the drains bunged and the u-gauge on sitting pretty at 40, suddenly the gauge shoots up and empties itself and the building officer was jumping up and down going loco asking if we were cheating, getting people to top up traps etc. Next thing a joiner comes out the plot with the paper underarm whistling, at the time as an apprentice I had the joy of removing the bung from the manhole and getting slapped on the knuckles (gloves on thankfully) with a fresh Lincoln Log.

Drain tests, one of my favourite jobs when working on sites, not !

Always found it bemusing that building control insisted on being present to see that the drain tests stood on the soil stacks but made no such stipulation for a gas tightness test, id have thought the latter would be much more important than the former.

Threads like this highlight why it's so shite being in a trade. Everyone can watch a five minute video on YouTube of a job being done and assume it's that easy to do. I regularly get folk grumping about how long it's taken to do a "simple job" on their rotten 15 year old car, where every nut and bolt head has rotten away to absolutely nothing while seizing up at the same time.

"they done this job on wheeler dealer last night, and its a couple of bolts" they say.

Threads like this highlight why it's so shite being in a trade. Everyone can watch a five minute video on YouTube of a job being done and assume it's that easy to do. I regularly get folk grumping about how long it's taken to do a "simple job" on their rotten 15 year old car, where every nut and bolt head has rotten away to absolutely nothing while seizing up at the same time.

"they done this job on wheeler dealer last night, and its a couple of bolts" they say.

Never had you down as a mechanic.

The type of people who are able to bang a couple of pieces of wood together to the point they're confident enough to pass themselves off as a joiner are the exact same type of c***s who talk themselves in to getting a job, make a total rip roaring c**t out of it then f**k off without cleaning up their mess. The world would be better off without them.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Very nicely put. I used to smile, pamper and laugh these fuckers off, but at my present time of life, I just tell them if they'd like to do the job themselves, I'll f**k off their boat right now and let them hack on with it. I cringe when I hear "It's just a five minute job" 

Archived