Getting work done to your house

I look after my folks home while they swan about traveling the world. It's basically a new build (although it's around 10 years old now), it's a 4 bedroom upstairs downstairs job to give you the picture.

Anyhow, the annual report comes in from the rental agency, it needs a bit of work done to it, nothing major although it's going to have to be spread over a few months. I started to look at the list and phoned up the guy who is maintaining it from their side, we get on quite well and I trust him.

'£80 for the guttering and roof of the summer extension to get done, that seems fair, let's go and do that next'....

'We need to get scaffolding erected for a part of it'....

'Okay, rough price please?'

'Could be anything up to £800, should be about £500 roughly'.

'............................' - as I hit the floor.

I've asked him to get another quote for me. Is this the cost of getting your guttering done?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scaffolding can be pricey. I use it a lot for work. But if you shop about the various companies' prices vary wildly.

This is correct. Draft up a wee email describing what's needing done and attach a photo of the elevation and fire it to every scaffolding contractor in the area.

Not strictly legit for doing work on roofs as they're deemed to be for access only, but an aluminium scaffold tower hire would cost a fraction of the price of full scaffold, would be available quicker and with less hassle of erection and dismantling and would easily fit the task.

A portable scaffold hire can be anything between £500 to a grand so that sounds about right, although it may well be a relatively minor repair for a leaking gutter if its over 2 storeys H&S does not allow work of that type to be done off a ladder, the guy would be open to prosecution from the Health & Safety Executive were he or one of his employees fall or have an accident.

Its a sore one but no getting round it im afraid

Not strictly legit for doing work on roofs as they're deemed to be for access only, but an aluminium scaffold tower hire would cost a fraction of the price of full scaffold, would be available quicker and with less hassle of erection and dismantling and would easily fit the task.

You still need a ticket for assembling one of those as well.

Scaffolding can be pricey. I use it a lot for work. But if you shop about the various companies' prices vary wildly.

Aye, but £580 to clear leaves out of yer gutters? There's nothing taller than your standard upstairs downstairs house, a ladder and an extended brush should do the job at worst. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get this done by Cowboys, everything's being done by professionals but this is just daft...

Aye, but £580 to clear leaves out of yer gutters? There's nothing taller than your standard upstairs downstairs house, a ladder and an extended brush should do the job at worst. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get this done by Cowboys, everything's being done by professionals but this is just daft...

They're pretty picky about ladder use these days. They try and use scaffold for anything above first floor now.

There is gutter clearing equipment that comes with an extendable arm and a camera on the end whilst the second man can see and guide the other.

My mate works at St Andrews Uni as a skater and they've got it.

EDIT : Slater, not skater.

Borrowing a ladder and doing it yourself would cost f**k all.

And sending your wife up it means you do even less work. 

If that's all it is, cleaning the gutters, get the guy who wants a scaffold chased. Phone around. Someone WILL do that from ladders. You're also not in any way liable to provide safe access. As long as there is level ground, it's not a building site and he has a "footer" for the ladder it's completely legal for him to do that work.

Archived