Getting work done to your house

5 hours ago, bennett said:

So was Mags talking pish about £50 being the going rate for an outdoor tap?

Aye, £50-60 for a properly fitted outside tap is about right. Those DIY kits you can buy for about a tenner are absolute garbage and also don't meet regulations.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

Aye, £50-60 for a properly fitted outside tap is about right. Those DIY kits you can buy for about a tenner are absolute garbage and also don't meet regulations.

Aye they dont have a non return valve so dont meet water by-laws.

Do they still do those ridiculous ones that you clamp onto the pipe then pierce a hole in the copper? I refused to fit those stupid things if people bought them then called me.

1 hour ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

Plumbing heating and gas.

I just did my 5 year re-sit of my gas qualifications at Livingston in February.

A fucking grand it cost me and they dont even supply lunch, at least the last place I done put sandwiches on.

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Aye they dont have a non return valve so dont meet water by-laws.

Do they still do those ridiculous ones that you clamp onto the pipe then pierce a hole in the copper? I refused to fit those stupid things if people bought them then called me.

Try again.

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

Try again.

They are supposed to have a built in non return valve (check valve to give it another name) to prevent water from any attatchments flowing back into mains/drinking water. Most of the crap from B&Q and the likes dont have that in my experience but, I havent bought or fitted one from there in a few years so they may be different now I guess.

Just now, Flybhoy said:

They are supposed to have a built in non return valve (check valve to give it another name) to prevent water from any attatchments flowing back into mains/drinking water. Most of the crap from B&Q and the likes dont have that in my experience but, I havent bought or fitted one from there in a few years so they may be different now I guess.

It would have to be a double non return valve.

Apologies to mags for doubting him.

22 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Has to be a heck of a set of circumstances to get water back into the mains especially as most houses (not all) also have a double check valve at the incoming point. B&Q ones now have a check valve on them but the fast fit connection tees are hopeless (or should that be hoopless to you:P)

1 minute ago, supermik said:

Has to be a heck of a set of circumstances to get water back into the mains especially as most houses (not all) also have a double check valve at the incoming point. B&Q ones now have a check valve on them but the fast fit connection tees are hopeless (or should that be hoopless to you:P)

This will prevent back siphonage to the public main, however, without protection to the outside tap back siphonage could still pollute the mains water within the dwelling.

5 minutes ago, supermik said:

Yeah its a pretty unlikely set of circumstances but some of these attachments that fit on to the taps have chemicals etc in them for grass and plants and the like, in theory if someone ran a tap inside to fill a kettle or something the water and pollutants could siphon back in, pretty unlikely but technicaly it is possible, hence the reason for the check valve requirement.

Plumbing heating and gas.

54 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

A fucking grand it cost me and they dont even supply lunch, at least the last place I done put sandwiches on.

Im a marine plumber, which means I shit all over you domesticated chaps. Anything over 22mm and ye shit yourselves :lol: 

7 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Im a marine plumber, which means I shit all over you domesticated chaps. Anything over 22mm and ye shit yourselves :lol: 

Do the Para's also have their own plumbers?

3 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I bet you have to unclog some massive whale shites.

No but I've been covered in plenty shite. Once had a toilet pipe off in an engine room and heard water running, thought it was odd as we were up the slipway, then splat !!! One of the crew flushed his shite and it landed on my shoulder. Par for the course

3 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

No but I've been covered in plenty shite. Once had a toilet pipe off in an engine room and heard water running, thought it was odd as we were up the slipway, then splat !!! One of the crew flushed his shite and it landed on my shoulder. Par for the course

They don't call it the poop deck for nothing.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Glad I am out of that farce now. They used to move the goalposts every time. You were always told that the last set of books that you bought were now completely out of date and totally irrelevant. There was usually about 3 things changed but according to the powers that be, a new set of books had to be purchased. When I was first Corgi registered I had a 4 digit number, nowadays there are so many that it is a 7 digit number for folk now.

Just now, supermik said:

Glad I am out of that farce now. They used to move the goalposts every time. You were always told that the last set of books that you bought were now completely out of date and totally irrelevant. There was usually about 3 things changed but according to the powers that be, a new set of books had to be purchased. When I was first Corgi registered I had a 4 digit number, nowadays there are so many that it is a 7 digit number for folk now.

To be honest, if doing a re-sit its highly unlikely you would fail, assuming you are at a decent test centre.

The examiners realise you are experienced at your job and 99% of the guys are competent and safe so, and it happens all the time when there is stuff in the exams or the practical that you have never come across but the HSE have to include it they will help you out a wee bit and talk you through it or give you a wee hint (the questions about shared flues always throw me, never worked on them in my puff), obviously the initial assesment for apprentices or guys new to the industry will be tougher and stricter.

There is actually a test centre in Stirling but id heard bad feedback from plumbers I know in my area about it on that front so went to Livingston instead where I breezed through it.

7 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

I served my time in the commercial and industrial sector and continued to work in it until 2010. 

7 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

We had that doing a final drain test for the local authorities once. Had all the drains bunged and the u-gauge on sitting pretty at 40, suddenly the gauge shoots up and empties itself and the building officer was jumping up and down going loco asking if we were cheating, getting people to top up traps etc. Next thing a joiner comes out the plot with the paper underarm whistling, at the time as an apprentice I had the joy of removing the bung from the manhole and getting slapped on the knuckles (gloves on thankfully) with a fresh Lincoln Log.

Archived