Getting work done to your house

Sounds exactly like my old gaffer, main reason I left was the way he dealt with jobs and customers. 

As in full of BS? I don't see the need to be all confident and cocky about what you are doing so long as it's apparent you can do your job. Most people can smell a bullshitter a mile off as well, you just need to be honest and have some common sense to do this sort of work.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, throbber said:

As in full of BS? I don't see the need to be all confident and cocky about what you are doing so long as it's apparent you can do your job. Most people can smell a bullshitter a mile off as well, you just need to be honest and have some common sense to do this sort of work.

His people skills were non existent, customers were always asking for my number to deal with me direct as they didn't want to talk to him. He lie and shout and scream at customers all day long, I've no idea how he's still in business. His work rough too, especially his tiling (I don't do tiling for customers, did my own place but not competent enough to charge people for it).

9 minutes ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

His people skills were non existent, customers were always asking for my number to deal with me direct as they didn't want to talk to him. He lie and shout and scream at customers all day long, I've no idea how he's still in business. His work rough too, especially his tiling (I don't do tiling for customers, did my own place but not competent enough to charge people for it).

Haha he must be good enough though and get the work done one way or another, sometimes its a case of better the devil you know with clients. I don't think you need to have great people skills, just so long as you are genuine and are on the ball as to what work needs done the clients are usually fairly reasonable and i have never encountered a client who i would think would be open to any sort of bull shit chat, most people can see through it all.

Last year i had a set of blinds fitted in my sitting room as I had a creepy neighbour across the way who i wanted to shut out and getting the blinds delivered wasn't particularly easy. He said a date that they would definitely be ready for and by about 2 weeks after this we still hadn't heard from him, phoned him mobile numerous times and it rang out, when we phoned the shop we were told he would phone us back and it went on until the blinds were maybe 4 weeks later than the date estimated. The man who measured and fitted the blinds was somebody i didn't particularly like, in between measuring and fitting the blinds he may have been in my house for 40 minutes at most and in this time he:

• Bragged about how he was a millionaire when he was my age and forked out tens of thousands a year to send his kids to the best school in Edinburgh
  • Bragged about being a womaniser who had several affairs when he was younger.
  • Upon realising i was looking after dogs started talking about how much every dog under the sun loved him as they are a good judge of character
  • Criticised the layout of my sitting room
  • Criticised the colours and decoration throughout my flat
  • Suggested that i should masturbate towards my neighbour the next time she was at her window looking my way
  • Said the remaining curtains and blinds i had in my flat were absolutely disgusting
  • Told me my TV was too big

Goes without saying that at no point did he apologise for being a month late with fitting the fucking blinds either. 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Haha he must be good enough though and get the work done one way or another, sometimes its a case of better the devil you know with clients. I don't think you need to have great people skills, just so long as you are genuine and are on the ball as to what work needs done the clients are usually fairly reasonable and i have never encountered a client who i would think would be open to any sort of bull shit chat, most people can see through it all.

Last year i had a set of blinds fitted in my sitting room as I had a creepy neighbour across the way who i wanted to shut out and getting the blinds delivered wasn't particularly easy. He said a date that they would definitely be ready for and by about 2 weeks after this we still hadn't heard from him, phoned him mobile numerous times and it rang out, when we phoned the shop we were told he would phone us back and it went on until the blinds were maybe 4 weeks later than the date estimated. The man who measured and fitted the blinds was somebody i didn't particularly like, in between measuring and fitting the blinds he may have been in my house for 40 minutes at most and in this time he:

• Bragged about how he was a millionaire when he was my age and forked out tens of thousands a year to send his kids to the best school in Edinburgh
  • Upon realising i was looking after dogs started talking about how much every dog under the sun loved him as they are a good judge of character
  • Suggested that i should masturbate towards my neighbour the next time she was at her window looking my way
  • Said the remaining curtains and blinds i had in my flat were absolutely disgusting
  • Told me my TV was too big.

Goes without saying that at no point did he apologise for being a month late with fitting the fucking blinds either. 

Sounds like he could be a typical P n B poster then?

Neither do I, hence why I support Killie.

The point still though is that he thinks that that sort of chat is what the customer wants, I didn't want it and just thought he was an absolute tit. I would like to think the reason customers wanted to contact you was that they thought you were approachable and easy to talk to, this guy is the sort of guy who could never just give a straight answer as he has spent his life being absolutely full of shit. So many people like that in construction.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

The point still though is that he thinks that that sort of chat is what the customer wants, I didn't want it and just thought he was an absolute tit. I would like to think the reason customers wanted to contact you was that they thought you were approachable and easy to talk to, this guy is the sort of guy who could never just give a straight answer as he has spent his life being absolutely full of shit. So many people like that in construction.

Agreed. I am always aware that when I price work for new clients. I'm selling myself as a person to the customer as much as the product, if someone gave me a great price but came across as a cock socket they would not get the job.

7 hours ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

Being a plumber myself, it intrigues me what possible excuses he could use for a bathroom running over by so long.

Is he doing all the tiling or wall boarding and electrics etc too?

So was Mags talking pish about £50 being the going rate for an outdoor tap?

Agreed. I am always aware that when I price work for new clients. I'm selling myself as a person to the customer as much as the product, if someone gave me a great price but came across as a cock socket they would not get the job.

^^^ nail on head. So, for future reference, what line of work you in?

6 hours ago, throbber said:

I assume you hid the plates.

Could folk stop using "clients"? It's fuckin "customers".

I always consider a customer to be in a shop for a single/simple transaction and a client for something more ongoing and with more interaction required. Have never heard anyone refer to the person paying for the particular job to be done as a customer before.

Did you pay full whack for such shit service?

1 minute ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Did you pay full whack for such shit service?

Yup, i had paid half up front and then the rest when they finally got fitted. It wasn't worth my while arguing over it really. 

I like this guy.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I doubt he'll have time to fit them, what with being a top shagger and that.

Exactly, he never even asked anything about me at all to make conversation he was just straight in talking about his own importance as if I cared about him in any way. A strange attitude to have when going into a clients house. 

Archived