Keepers

Gordopolis

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Craig Gordon is and always has been the most overrated goalie in Scotland. Can't believe some one paid £9m for him a few years ago. Absolutely average.

Nonsense. He's lost form in last few months certainly but describing him as average over his career is idiotic. That said Marshall has justified the no1 jersey over last 2 n bit seasons.

Gordon's one of many players where you just wonder what they might have achieved if they'd had better luck with injuries.  He's never really delivered on that potential he seemed to show earlier in his career, but he's always been better than "absolutely average".

20 hours ago, Underpants Gnome said:

When Gordon, McGregor and Marshall are all fit, McGregor is the best goalie. He's the oldest of the 3 and I assume that's why Strachan doesn't play him. No other reason imo.

Probably in his opinion, McGregor isn't the best keeper.  That's probably why he doesn't play him.  

Wasn't he injured for quite a few of the last squads anyway?

Probably in his opinion, McGregor isn't the best keeper.  That's probably why he doesn't play him.  

Wasn't he injured for quite a few of the last squads anyway?

He also had a period when 70 year old steve harper was being picked ahead of him at hull. Marshall is the player in possession of the jersey and hasnt done anything to justify dropping him. Not sure that Gordon is anywhere near displacing him and mcgregor needs to show hes properly over his injury problems

One thing we could always say about us for what seems like ages was that we had great options at goalkeeper.  Are we coming to the end of that cycle?  Not to say Marshall, Gordon and McGregor aren't three solid options to have, but they're coming to the end of their careers...is there anyone coming in that can be as good as they were at their peak?  Particularly if we're not producing good enough center backs to protect them

17 minutes ago, forameus said:

One thing we could always say about us for what seems like ages was that we had great options at goalkeeper.  Are we coming to the end of that cycle?  Not to say Marshall, Gordon and McGregor aren't three solid options to have, but they're coming to the end of their careers...is there anyone coming in that can be as good as they were at their peak?  Particularly if we're not producing good enough center backs to protect them

Utility man Mulgrew is good at filling in - put him between the sticks.

Don't think we are at panic stations yet. Should be at least this campaign and the next out of those 3 but we certainly need some other options with next couple of years

Guest DAVIDB69

Marshall will start for hull and Scotland for the foreseeable future. The little scotland set up there is fine but if they go down again we close to being wiped out for epl players in the squad

14 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Marshall will start for hull and Scotland for the foreseeable future. The little scotland set up there is fine but if they go down again we close to being wiped out for epl players in the squad

Which doesn't really matter.  They don't automatically become worse players just because they're playing in the league below.  If they're too good for that league, they'll be picked up by a top tier side anyway.  

Which doesn't really matter.  They don't automatically become worse players just because they're playing in the league below.  If they're too good for that league, they'll be picked up by a top tier side anyway.  

Plenty of pundits (yeah I know they aren't always that knowledgeable so it's a qualified appraisal ) wanted Marshall in the team of the year the season Cardiff were relegated. Relegation didn't change that he was outstanding.

3 hours ago, dogmc said:

Plenty of pundits (yeah I know they aren't always that knowledgeable so it's a qualified appraisal ) wanted Marshall in the team of the year the season Cardiff were relegated. Relegation didn't change that he was outstanding.

Yet it's taken him 2 seasons to get a move back up - and only to one of the (on paper) weakest sides in the EPL

Yet it's taken him 2 seasons to get a move back up - and only to one of the (on paper) weakest sides in the EPL

And of the 3 keepers we have he's the only one that consistently performed well in the epl eta none of the epl sides wanted fletcher even on a freebie and he will be starting on Sunday. Gordon has lost form and McGregor whilst never letting Scotland down has had problems with injury and let in some howlers for hull. Marshall is our most consistent performer and given that we aren't brilliant defensively I'd rather we went with him, Hanley n Martin so they can build up a relationship. Sure if someone significantly better comes along integrate them but until then chopping and changing on a whim makes no sense.

2 hours ago, dogmc said:

And of the 3 keepers we have he's the only one that consistently performed well in the epl eta none of the epl sides wanted fletcher even on a freebie and he will be starting on Sunday. Gordon has lost form and McGregor whilst never letting Scotland down has had problems with injury and let in some howlers for hull. Marshall is our most consistent performer and given that we aren't brilliant defensively I'd rather we went with him, Hanley n Martin so they can build up a relationship. Sure if someone significantly better comes along integrate them but until then chopping and changing on a whim makes no sense.

I'd agree Marshall probably shades it as our best. I was just commenting on the notion that Marshall was considered as one of the best in England (or anything like that). I reckon we got too carried away by a few nice - and probably a few patronising - comments from pundits down there.

I'd agree Marshall probably shades it as our best. I was just commenting on the notion that Marshall was considered as one of the best in England (or anything like that). I reckon we got too carried away by a few nice - and probably a few patronising - comments from pundits down there.

Yeah maybe, tho in his case I don't think it was particularly patronising. He genuinely had a cracking season....albeit he was getting plenty of practice [emoji3]. Regarding keepers in epl even the England no1 struggling to get a side to guarantee him games. Maybe epl teams trust foreign keepers more?? Not really sure.

Archived