Hampden Park has it had its Day ?

I think they should use Murrayfield but the sfa won't even consider it. Like to keep football money in football.

Like to keep the money in the hands of the tax cheats and the team that have enough anyway. How can we make Scottish football better? Let's give the OF more money. Terrific idea.

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Like to keep the money in the hands of the tax cheats and the team that have enough anyway. How can we make Scottish football better? Let's give the OF more money. Terrific idea.

^^^This. 

The SFA's attitude towards us Diddy Clubs is similar to society's towards the 3rd Kray sibling.....

"I didn't know Ronnie & Reggie had a brother"

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2016 at 10:36, Hampden Diehard said:

What happened when the Commonwealth Games came to Glasgow?  Was a spanking new stadium built like in Manchester, or like in London for the Olympics?  No; we just tarted up Hampden, and that's what we do up here.  We don't invest in sports centrally, so all this nonsense about building this and building that is just fanciful dreaming.

On 7/21/2016 at 23:03, HibeeJibee said:

Tbf, the Commonwealth Games thing was completely sensible. Look at the white elephant that Meadowbank became, and it was on a much smaller scale. It made complete sense to temporarily alter Hampden (and it justified having kept the 'rounded' ends) than build an athletics stadium somewhere on the outskirts of Glasgow.

Worth pointing out that the central budget we had for the Commonwealth Games was substantially lower than Manchester's. SportEngland got millions from the National Lottery for the Manchester CWG, but when it came to Glasgow's bid, all the money had already been allocated to the London Olympics. In fact, that Olympics took all the lottery funding that would have otherwise been allocated to hundreds of nationwide projects and events. Everyone else had to go short because London.

The Scottish Government and Glasgow City Council had to plough loads of money in to (partially) address this shortfall. There certainly wasn't the funds available to build a new stadium!

5 hours ago, milton75 said:

Worth pointing out that the central budget we had for the Commonwealth Games was substantially lower than Manchester's. SportEngland got millions from the National Lottery for the Manchester CWG, but when it came to Glasgow's bid, all the money had already been allocated to the London Olympics. In fact, that Olympics took all the lottery funding that would have otherwise been allocated to hundreds of nationwide projects and events. Everyone else had to go short because London.

The Scottish Government and Glasgow City Council had to plough loads of money in to (partially) address this shortfall. There certainly wasn't the funds available to build a new stadium!

If the money had been available (which it wasn't as you pointed out), then like Manchester (and Sydney for that matter for the 2000 Olympics), then the stadium has the track removed and the ends re-modelled back to a traditional football/rugby dimensions.

We had to do it on the cheap, and Hampden received a lick of paint and was then returned to the same poor, outdated layout.  We didn't even have the option of tarting up the auld place and then afterwards re-modelling the ends into something more suited to its modern day usage.

The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff is the model that would most benefit Scottish sport. A single modern stadium that can be used for rugby and football. The stands are tight enough into the pitch that the atmosphere builds and spreads. The view is good and the noise transfers well from stand to pitch.

What we have are 2 stadiums that are both flawed. Murrayfield is showing it's age. Hampden was poorly designed for the rebuild.

Scottish sport should rip up both stadiums and build a single venue in a similar style to Cardiff's brilliant facility.

On 7/8/2017 at 04:53, BallochSonsFan said:

The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff is the model that would most benefit Scottish sport. A single modern stadium that can be used for rugby and football. The stands are tight enough into the pitch that the atmosphere builds and spreads. The view is good and the noise transfers well from stand to pitch.

What we have are 2 stadiums that are both flawed. Murrayfield is showing it's age. Hampden was poorly designed for the rebuild.

Scottish sport should rip up both stadiums and build a single venue in a similar style to Cardiff's brilliant facility.

Agreed. Tear down Murrayfield and build a new one.

• 4 weeks later...

A new Murrayfield would be ideal. Good transport links and in the capital city. Hampden is just shite, terrible views and out the city centre. Yes it has history but we need to move on, also to get away from a Glasgow old firm centric toxic game.

Hampden is terrible for watching football. Romantically it's obviously the home of Scottish Football but I'd gladly neber attend another Scotland game there if they decided to alternate between say Ibrox and Parkhead for bigger games and maybe Easter Road/Pittodrie for smaller friendlies etc.

I do think too that when we won the Cup at Celtic Park it was somehow a better experience overall than it probably would have been at Hampden.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/08/2017 at 13:26, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Hampden is terrible for watching football. Romantically it's obviously the home of Scottish Football but I'd gladly neber attend another Scotland game there if they decided to alternate between say Ibrox and Parkhead for bigger games and maybe Easter Road/Pittodrie for smaller friendlies etc.

I do think too that when we won the Cup at Celtic Park it was somehow a better experience overall than it probably would have been at Hampden.

Disagree. Have watched Scotland at both Hampden and Parkhead in recent times and Hampden was far better.

Problem is, it depends where your seat is. The main stand at Hampden provides great views, the East and West understandably less so. For the games against England and Ireland I was in the Main Stand at Parkhead and ended up having to stand throughout both games.

On 16/06/2017 at 14:08, invergowrie arab said:

The customer experience at Murrayfield shits all over hampden. The money making opportunities are much better too as you can have ten's of thousands eating and drinking within the grounds before kick off (although no doubt that would be knocked on head if football)

Only downside I can think is probably behind scenes stuff. I'm sure on tour they said you needed that tunnel under the stand to meet UEFA regulations or something. Why I don't know. Murrayfield also doesn't have same office space but has much superior conference and hospitality facilities.

Also SRU are utterly skint. I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't consider the SFA taking a share in the stadium.

I'm afraid that claim doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

Said it before. But here goes.

Either buy Hampden from Queens Park or sign a 50 year lease with them and Queens Park play at Lesser Hampden (with special dispensation for big games to be played at Hampden ie Cup games against big teams)

If its a lease then Lesser Hampden should be redeveloped further to be a great wee ground.

Then once Queens Park are in Lesser Hampden, TEAR DOWN HAMPDEN PARK!

Rebuild it so the stands are very close to the pitch by ripping out the running track. Have commercial boxes in the North and South stands to generate extra revenue, East and West stands 2 tiered and compact so punters are not a mile from the pitch in furthest away seats.

At the same time huge efforts need to made by the local and scots governments to improve transport links to Hampden. However that may happen.

Will cost a lot to do it. But its worth it rather than playing at Celtic Park, Ibrox or Murrayfueld.

Re-modelling the West and East stands and removing the track is really the only viable way of improving Hampden without starting from scratch, which wont happen.  60k capacity should be the aim but not sure if that’s possible within the available footprint.

Out with the South Stand it really is an ageing stadium, and there really needs to be serious discussion with all interested parties inc the Scottish Govt on what the future for Hampden is going to be, it’s no good the SFA just saying “we’re off” and it just sitting there rotting.  It’s just under 3 years to Euro2020, start the debate now and have a solid plan in place for after the tournament, otherwise it’s a swansong for Hampden when it comes to hosting major games such as CL and Europa League Finals.

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 16:34, Burnie_man said:

start the debate now and have a solid plan in place for after the tournament, otherwise it’s a swansong for Hampden when it comes to hosting major games such as CL and Europa League Finals.

It's now too small for Champions League finals I believe.

The problem with flattening the East and West Stands is that they hold over 25,000 seats between them. Building two stands of 13,000 each on the current footprint partly dug into the ground with a steeper rake would be very difficult and costly. For comparison, the RDS at Pittodrie holds around 6200 and the stands behind the goals at Ibrox hold around 8000 each. The two stands behind the goals at Celtic Park hold 13,000 each but that includes the corners of both tiers which wouldn't fit in at Hampden. To avoid reducing the capacity significantly you would have to either have a shallow rake for the stands behind the goals or expand the North Stand, which may not be possible given the housing behind it. I don't see how it would be feasible, unfortunately.