Junior football - Debate

Beng24310

Obviously never been there then. Am confident I won't be alone in my view of that venue.

And you answered the 3g question with the last bit. No need for it

On the contrary, we've played them there. My point is, does the pitch make any difference whatsoever? Of course not, people make atmosphere not pitches.

Talbot don't need one as they have the resources to keep their pitch in top quality condition, that doesn't ring true for 95% of clubs and you just need to look at multiple postponements this season and previous seasons to see they are a big benefit.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either call it semi-pro or give it some unique name like the Conference. I'm not in favour of calling it non-league since it clearly is a league and the point of changing the name is to avoid confusion.

To bring football in Scotland into the modern age, the 'non-league' senior leagues and the juniors should all be combined into one semi-professional format across Scotland. If you then want to implement a pyramid that can lead to semi-pro teams being promoted into the SPFL then you have the base of the structure in place.

I'm finally coming round to the idea of summer football as well. Having dropped down to the amateurs from the juniors for the last couple years, pitches are often called off at the slightest sign of bad weather and you end up hardly playing a game from December to February. Some (many?) junior teams are the same. Maybe there could be a 2/3 week window in July when schools are out to allow for family holidays, but play competitive games right through June and August.

I'm also not in favour of more and more astroturf pitches. Despite the massive improvements in modern 3g and 4g pitches from the sand based efforts of my youth, grass is much more forgiving on the body and the joints.

As a newby to the juniors here are some ideas we have,

Junior tag to be renamed Lower League (SLL)

Early start to the season - If we start in June and play through till May with December and January as a break, this will surely see crowds go up due to no senior league games being played, Less games being postponed due to poor weather in December and January and this period can be used for fitness for players like a mid pre season.

Friday night football - We played a Friday night game and attracted 500 supporters and although i agree it should not be all the time, teams should be given the freedom to play some games on a Friday.

Games on a Sunday - Is this an option? top leagues all over the world play games on a Sunday so to attract bigger supports is it an option to move to a Sunday?

Ground Share - Is this an option for some clubs to maybe share with senior clubs (if playing on a Friday night or a Sunday)

Games on a Sunday - Is this an option? top leagues all over the world play games on a Sunday so to attract bigger supports is it an option to move to a Sunday?

I don't see any point in moving games to Sunday. Keep football on Saturday afternoon so both players and fans always know when their team is playing. Saturday afternoon is also the one time of the week when there aren't professional games live on the TV.

Simply summer football at all levels in Scotland across the board apart from the spfl leagues( would like that but very unlikely to happen). I would think it would benefit junior teams more than most due to bigger crowds which in turn means more money for clubs to spend either on facilities or players.A decent summer night would draw in a much better crowd than a wet windy cold December day.

Just like the souless environment of Petershill? Pies are about £2.50 each. Oh yes definitely in favour.

You usual post good common sense comments BM but you must have been on the sauce last night lol.

obsession with this artificial shite so he has. At least he's consistent. Was in a poll the other day. 78% against artificial out 200. Pretty descisive for me

obsession with this artificial shite so he has. At least he's consistent. Was in a poll the other day. 78% against artificial out 200. Pretty descisive for me

Obsession for wanting games on in bad weather, and for wanting them on good surfaces that can be used 24/7? Guilty as charged!

They're good enough for FIFA, UEFA, SPFL etc but god forbid they become popular in the Juniors, jeezo lol!

Let's not sidetrack the thread on one issue. There's a whole host of issues that could be addressed, but lets face it they won't.

It's the 'Juniors' ffs, that's what it's called.

It's community based football so I'm sure the people within the community know what you're talking about.

I cannot recall ever having to explain it to someone..

But even if I had been.........

How hard can it be to explain it to someone that is unaware?

I wish that was all that was wrong with the game at our level.

Obsession for wanting games on in bad weather, and for wanting them on good surfaces that can be used 24/7? Guilty as charged!

They're good enough for FIFA, UEFA, SPFL etc but god forbid they become popular in the Juniors, jeezo lol!

Let's not sidetrack the thread on one issue. There's a whole host of issues that could be addressed, but lets face it they won't.

Usually played on by professional players that don't have to worry about their normal day job and with a full medical and physio support at their club.

Will be interesting to see if players are forced into retiring from the game earlier than what used to be the case before the introduction of artificial surfaces.

The jury is well out on them. It's been well documented.

I maybe missing something but the majority of fans and players at all levels would rather play on grass and don't like artificial surfaces.

The jury isn't out on them in the slightest, they are used at the very top level all over the world!

I'd also rather play on a good grass pitch, but the positives of 3g far outweigh any negatives.

Usually played on by professional players that don't have to worry about their normal day job and with a full medical and physio support at their club.

Will be interesting to see if players are forced into retiring from the game earlier than what used to be the case before the introduction of artificial surfaces.

3g was first introduced more than 15 years ago, there will be players playing now who have played.most of their careers on it.

How do you work out that it's mostly professional players that play on it?

Lets put it this way once I showed them pictures of the ground and set up they were alot more impressed and likely to go to a game than when they thought it was a boys club. Best to make things obvious. Would you call a business a sandwich bar when all it sold was pies!

It's a regular occurrence having to clarify that Junior football is not youth football.

Regular? Really?

How often does that situation arise?

Be honest now.

Too often, and once is too much.

If you need to explain what the 'product' is, then it's a hard job to promote it.

In this day and age, adult semi-professional football should not be called 'Junior'. The 'Seniors' don't call themselves 'Seniors'.

The jury isn't out on them in the slightest, they are used at the very top level all over the world!

I'd also rather play on a good grass pitch, but the positives of 3g far outweigh any negatives.

Every player would rather play on a good grass pitch than a good astro one, BUT, almost every player would rather play on a good astro pitch than a poor grass one, or one that makes passing the ball very difficult.

I'd also wager that almost all of those involved in football would want a game that can be played ( which almost always happens on 4g) rather than a game that won't be on- as we've had far too often this winter.

Archived