You thought Irvine Meadow are bad... Musselburgh Athletic are worse&#3

secret_admirer

We have all heard about Irvine Meadows off fields issues regarding raising money etc but i heard today that Musselburgh Athletic players not been paid for 2/3 months now and management for 4/5 months. 

At the start of the season they had 18/19 players registered but now after a exodus of players they only have 11-12 players available for games with various youngstars helping out to make the bench. This is clearly not the management or players fault but the chairman who has been unable to fulfill contracts and personal agreements.

Unfortunately they seemed to being doing very well and challenging for the league but after recent results they are now 4th, this coincides with the off field issue. This all comes down to the running of the club by the chairman (charlie Mcglynn) who is famous for not paying players on time or at all.

Is it time he moves on and let the club be run by someone else who really cares?

Any evidence players not being paid?

This was mentioned at our recent match with them. Surely before players sign they must have an idea about the infrastructure at a the club. Depending on all the usual gate money, sponsorship, fundraising etc. I would guess it takes anywhere between 80K - 120k p.a. to run a Superleague club. Anyone give a more accurate costing? 

We have all heard about Irvine Meadows off fields issues regarding raising money etc but i heard today that Musselburgh Athletic players not been paid for 2/3 months now and management for 4/5 months. 

At the start of the season they had 18/19 players registered but now after a exodus of players they only have 11-12 players available for games with various youngstars helping out to make the bench. This is clearly not the management or players fault but the chairman who has been unable to fulfill contracts and personal agreements.

Unfortunately they seemed to being doing very well and challenging for the league but after recent results they are now 4th, this coincides with the off field issue. This all comes down to the running of the club by the chairman (charlie Mcglynn) who is famous for not paying players on time or at all.

Is it time he moves on and let the club be run by someone else who really cares?

Mibbe the chairman's missus scared the players off. She certainly scared me :lol:

Junior cup finalists last year as well, sad to hear of "big" clubs in such a state

Yip, unfortunately some teams will always crave success and thinking spending big money can guarantee this, at every level it is not sustainable, I can only imagine what would happen in England if Abramovich etc gets bored with the game there and decides to invest in another country!

Musselburgh being the first junior club I played for I hope they do sort things out

Yip, unfortunately some teams will always crave success and thinking spending big money can guarantee this, at every level it is not sustainable, I can only imagine what would happen in England if Abramovich etc gets bored with the game there and decides to invest in another country!

Musselburgh being the first junior club I played for I hope they do sort things out

Its sad the way football has went in the UK the last 15 years or so, money and TV companies dictating everything. You expect that from the "big leagues" , teams living outwith their means but its a shame junior teams feel the need to do the same. Hope Meadow and Musselburgh find a way out their current mess

Interesting.

I stood behind the Mussy dugout when they returned to action following the xmas break at St Andrews.

It was a strange display by a team that had been on a good run, as St Andrews beat them easily 3-0.

What stood out and I never posted at the time (because I was not 100% sure I heard correct), was when the Ginger laddie got subbed he stormed off to the dressing rooms. The manager shouted him to come back to talk about something. I was sure the response was "once I get my money you can talk to me".

Perhaps I heard correct ?

As an insider at Musselburgh Athletic I would like to remind secret_admirer not to spread gossip he had 'heard' as this could make any situation at the club now or in the future much worse. I would also like to provide a bit of clarity regarding what has been happening at the club.

Firstly regarding the "exodus" of players and use of youngsters in recent games. The OP states that we started the season with 18/19 players but have struggled to have 11 or 12 in our most recent fixtures. Well up until 27/2/16 we had 18 signed players. After this match 2 players asked to leave as they were frustrated at lack of game time - not wages. In addition we have used 1 trialist from Windsor 21's since the turn of the year. That was during the Fauldhouse game 2 weeks ago and was down to players being injured - it happens in a contact sport like football. Hardly a prolific use of untried youngsters. I would also add that the squad has only cost £500 in transfer fees this season and was completely rebuilt over the summer.

As regards players and managements pay or lack off pay. You are way off the mark in your information. The club went 63 days without a home game over the winter, a longer break than preseason, which affected the amount of income that could be generated. For any organisation this would be a challenge and while it was not ideal the players December payment was missed. This is being redressed by the club and will be rectified by the seasons end. So as with all gossip the story grows arms and legs and is another reason why I would suggest that secret_admirer thinks twice before posting stories he or she 'heard'. This point alone makes it really difficult for the club to attract players,sponsors and general interest and is more damaging than the actual situation is. Thanks for that secret_admirer.

Considering how the club is run, to blame one individual,who has over the last 20 odd years developed Musselburgh Athletic from being a club that was lucky to exist to an established Superleague club, is disrespectful. While I am not claiming that the infrastructure at the club is perfect, it is what it is and the club recognises that there is much to be improved on and action plans are in place to improve this imminently. Musselburgh Athletic would also welcome input from any interested parties in helping taking the club forward but I am not so sure there is a mad rush to beat down the chairmans door to offer to help.

Finally the fitba bit. Yes we were flying up until the end of last year and were hoping to stage a challenge however the unofficial winter break, losing a highly influential player to the senior game(the 5th Musselburgh Athletic player to make the step up in a 6 month period) and the temporary poor financial situation put paid to that. While the games against Linlithgow Rose and Bo'ness United take care of themselves in terms of motivation, it is far more difficult for the players to match the levels of motivation opponents like Broughty Athletic who are playing to confirm their Superleague status. This has been the problem in a few of the games since the turn of the year. This has been pointed out to the players by the management and hopefully the message has not fallen on deaf ears.

I hope this post clarifies the situation at Musselburgh Athletic and refutes any gossip mongering going on. Musselburgh Athletic is a great club and like all football clubs it has its challenges.

As an insider at Musselburgh Athletic I would like to remind secret_admirer not to spread gossip he had 'heard' as this could make any situation at the club now or in the future much worse. I would also like to provide a bit of clarity regarding what has been happening at the club.

Firstly regarding the "exodus" of players and use of youngsters in recent games. The OP states that we started the season with 18/19 players but have struggled to have 11 or 12 in our most recent fixtures. Well up until 27/2/16 we had 18 signed players. After this match 2 players asked to leave as they were frustrated at lack of game time - not wages. In addition we have used 1 trialist from Windsor 21's since the turn of the year. That was during the Fauldhouse game 2 weeks ago and was down to players being injured - it happens in a contact sport like football. Hardly a prolific use of untried youngsters. I would also add that the squad has only cost £500 in transfer fees this season and was completely rebuilt over the summer.

As regards players and managements pay or lack off pay. You are way off the mark in your information. The club went 63 days without a home game over the winter, a longer break than preseason, which affected the amount of income that could be generated. For any organisation this would be a challenge and while it was not ideal the players December payment was missed. This is being redressed by the club and will be rectified by the seasons end. So as with all gossip the story grows arms and legs and is another reason why I would suggest that secret_admirer thinks twice before posting stories he or she 'heard'. This point alone makes it really difficult for the club to attract players,sponsors and general interest and is more damaging than the actual situation is. Thanks for that secret_admirer.

Considering how the club is run, to blame one individual,who has over the last 20 odd years developed Musselburgh Athletic from being a club that was lucky to exist to an established Superleague club, is disrespectful. While I am not claiming that the infrastructure at the club is perfect, it is what it is and the club recognises that there is much to be improved on and action plans are in place to improve this imminently. Musselburgh Athletic would also welcome input from any interested parties in helping taking the club forward but I am not so sure there is a mad rush to beat down the chairmans door to offer to help.

Finally the fitba bit. Yes we were flying up until the end of last year and were hoping to stage a challenge however the unofficial winter break, losing a highly influential player to the senior game(the 5th Musselburgh Athletic player to make the step up in a 6 month period) and the temporary poor financial situation put paid to that. While the games against Linlithgow Rose and Bo'ness United take care of themselves in terms of motivation, it is far more difficult for the players to match the levels of motivation opponents like Broughty Athletic who are playing to confirm their Superleague status. This has been the problem in a few of the games since the turn of the year. This has been pointed out to the players by the management and hopefully the message has not fallen on deaf ears.

I hope this post clarifies the situation at Musselburgh Athletic and refutes any gossip mongering going on. Musselburgh Athletic is a great club and like all football clubs it has its challenges.

Good post. I asked earlier if any proof of what was alleged and fun ily enough the op has been silent. Perhaps a disgruntled ex player?

Good post. I asked earlier if any proof of what was alleged and fun ily enough the op has been silent. Perhaps a disgruntled ex player?

But the insider has confirmed no one was paid after Xmas and that it did have an effect in certain games.

Clearly confirming what I heard at St. Andrews

It cost me my acca that day, hence I had my own selfish interest.

I hope they pull through the troubles.

This post is easily, without doubt, the biggest pile of crap I think i have ever seen. It makes some of the Linlithgow posts look like the works of shakespeare.

1st) At the start of the season as far as i know - We did not have 18/19 players available. I have 15 listed here. 

2nd) I have Saturday's team sheet in front of me - 15 players available. Not 11/12. 15. 

3) Various youngesters to make up the bench. - Our bench on Saturday 2 guys with over 100 appearances and the other a superb player who was on Hibs books and has at least two super league medals. I believe that 1 player on loan has played 18 minutes combined this season  9 at Newtongrange on the 19th August and 9 at Fauldhouse last month. and another player played 9 minutes at Newtongrange on the 19th August. 

4) Your exodus of players is a bit over dramatic: From the team that started the season at Carnoustie 2 players have left. 1 wasn't getting a game and the other was sold to Dalkeith. We also sold 1 player to Berwick, are you suggesting we should have stopped a man who has been a top player and ambassador for the club from getting a shot at a higher level??

5) Your point about contracts and aggrements - sadly I don't know what contracts the players are on. You clearly know what every player is on (Do you have anything to do with Newtongrange?) So I can't help you there.

6) Where i can help you is with your final two points. Your slating of the chairman is bang out of order. Firstly, your cowardly way of twisting the post and secondly to suggest he doesn't care is frankly disgraceful. 

I have watched this club for the best part of 20 years and i can safely say there is no one who puts more work in (99% of it you don't hear about or see) than the chairman and his wife. You should step back and take a long hard look at yourself for that.  In fact i will go further than that, make yourself known at the next game and i will make it crystal clear to you exactly my feelings on that part of your post.

7) My personal view is that our Squad of players have done superb this season, beating the champions, Linlithgow, Newtongrange etc, unlucky not to progress in the scottish and still in the f & l. I have been fortunate to see the work the management team put in again in my view they have been a huge reason why the club have done so well and woundn't be surprised to see them at a much higher level in the future. 

8) It is a pity that throughout your post you failed to mention the huge costs this and other clubs have had to deal with. What with all your knowledge. for example out of the 16 Super league teams Musselburgh have had the most away league matches called off. I believe 3 of them where a bus was paid for. You also failed to mention the club didn't have a home game (despite having one of the best parks in the league) for over two months. Thats before you look at crowds accross the board being down this year. 

I don't want to write too much....so I will look forward to seeing you at Hill of Beath - (as we attempt for a 3rd time this season to play there this season) where I will be delighted to spend the full 90 minutes and more telling you about the work that Mr and Mrs Chairman and our management put in to this club. - See you there.

This post is easily, without doubt, the biggest pile of crap I think i have ever seen. It makes some of the Linlithgow posts look like the works of shakespeare.

Auld Heid has certainly given us some tragic stuff.    :(

Archived