Scottish Football Journalism- rapidly changing!

I am currently undergoing a research project which looks at how Scottish journalism has changed over the past 5 years as a result of ever-growing forms of social media sites, such as twitter.
The digital age created a platform in which has led to a rise in new forms, in particular with the rise of citizen journalism. This became most prevalent during the Rangers FC Tax case, in which amateur writers were brought to the forefront of story, providing analytical content that newspapers couldn't match due to time constraints.
In addition to this, with the likes of twitter, an idea being toyed with is that the journalism profession has shifted in terms of it's core objective with news has now become about immediacy opposed to reliability.

I'm just looking to get, a flowing chat with Scottish football fans such as yourselves for a bit of information on your usage of social media sites and opinion, what sites you use to provide you with Scottish football related news and content.

• Examples of any blogs/sites you use to provide you with this information and why. 
  • How much of the output you read must be taken with a pinch of salt etc.
  • Do you trust these unverified sites as much as you would of a professional journalist on twitter for example. Do you think news standards may have dropped as a result of social media, with Scottish football journalists no longer- being as objective compared to previous generations, more opinion based.

Also if anyone has a spare MINUTE, would be much appreciated if they could fill out this quick survey, on twitter usage for Scot's fans, would be of great use to my research.
http://kwiksurveys.com/s/Z6BfLVoT

Good luck to Strachan and the boys tonight!

Thanks for the read,

Paul

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which other methods are you using in order to accurately survey Scottish football fans; how do you intend to weigh responses both here and in the survey for the likely biases from an already active, online group of Scottish football fans on a forum like this?

The idea for this thread was just to get some of those on the forums talking, giving me an insight of the opinion of the fan, and which sites are generally popular amongst fans .

The main methodology will be that of interviews with prominent journalists throughout Scotland and both popular citizen led journalists. The survey above, was just to get an idea of the demographic of Scottish football fans on twitter. 

The idea for this thread was just to get some of those on the forums talking, giving me an insight of the opinion of the fan, and which sites are generally popular amongst fans .

The main methodology will be that of interviews with prominent journalists throughout Scotland and both popular citizen led journalists. The survey above, was just to get an idea of the demographic of Scottish football fans on twitter. 

Users of a football forum aren't representative of the wider Scottish football fanbase though. A forum isn't a microcosm but rather a skewed sample - in P and B's case towards a) younger and b) male fans*. They're also, by virtue of posting on an online football forum, inherently more likely to be engaged with other forms of online media than your main stand, Werthers' Original sooking old biddies. So the use of "the fan" in both this discussion and your survey isn't accurate. What you're currently measuring is 'the use of social media by Scottish football fans already using another online, effectively social media platform', which is an entirely different analysis than 'the use of social media by Scottish football fans'.

* Which also makes the 'demographic analysis' purpose of your Twitter survey redundant - unless you can distribute through other forms of media than online forums, and properly weigh the results from your different sources of respondents.

Users of a football forum aren't representative of the wider Scottish football fanbase though. A forum isn't a microcosm but rather a skewed sample - in P and B's case towards a) younger and b) male fans*. They're also, by virtue of posting on an online football forum, inherently more likely to be engaged with other forms of online media than your main stand, Werthers' Original sooking old biddies. So the use of "the fan" in both this discussion and your survey isn't accurate. What you're currently measuring is 'the use of social media by Scottish football fans already using another online, effectively social media platform', which is an entirely different analysis than 'the use of social media by Scottish football fans'.

* Which also makes the 'demographic analysis' purpose of your Twitter survey redundant - unless you can distribute through other forms of media than online forums, and properly weigh the results from your different sources of respondents.

morrisey5.gif

I'll often fill these forms out just to be helpful even if I don't think they have any value as research. However I had to give up on your survey. I get most of my football information from news websites or this forum so where was the other option?

The digital age created a platform in which has led to a rise in new forms, in particular with the rise of citizen journalism. This became most prevalent during the Rangers FC Tax case, in which amateur writers were brought to the forefront of story, providing analytical content that newspapers couldn't match due to time constraints.

This is fucking tragic, Paul.  I know Sellick fans are obsessed about us but seeking a degree in 'Rangers'?  Beyond parody.

BTW your 'age brackets' are stupid. 

Just what the Scottish media needs, another Celtic fan with a degree in sports "journalism".. I'll answer your survey if you answer mine. What percentage of your classmates support Celtic, what percentage Rangers, and what percentage diddy teams??

Yawn. Boy's looking for a bit of help with a project - ends up with a mouthful of invective.

Welcome to the future of Scottish football journalism, where it's been over democratised to the point where loudest voice wins.

Hey viking, I'm not younger, am male, don't sit in the main stand (I'm along a bit from the young lads in the FCU), never eat Werther's (or any other variety of hard-boiled sweet), have my own teeth and a Twitter account - read posts but tend not to make any myself. By extension, you have also implied that I have a blanket over my knees - not true!

:)

Just what the Scottish media needs, another Celtic fan with a degree in sports "journalism".. I'll answer your survey if you answer mine. What percentage of your classmates support Celtic, what percentage Rangers, and what percentage diddy teams??

I'm doing Sports Journalism as well, so I can answer it for my class.

There's 23 of us. One Rangers fan, no Celtic fans and the rest of us support 'diddy' teams - mainly Ayr, Killie and Motherwell fans, although there's quite a few international students who support teams in their homeland.

HTH

Anyways, I'll fill in the survey when I get in, hopefully people (or the pee-pel!) will help me if I need it in a few years time.

Archived