St Johnstone FC - The Story so far...

perthsaint1977

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

348ll4p.jpg

I am currently mid way through my 2nd season with St Johnstone and have decided to try and create a little Football Manager story. I have went back and grabbed some screen shots from the first season and I will try to detail what happened during the first season in order to bring you up to date.

As St Johnstone manager, i was tasked with top 6 finish and semi final appearances in both cups domestically, and the board also demanded a third round appearance in the Europa League.

As you can see from the following fixtures, I failed at the first hurdle in the Europa League, a 4-3 aggregate loss to VPS Vassa of Finland. Not the start that I was looking for.

In the League Cup, the third round saw me head to Raith Rovers. A completely bizarre match saw me eventually come out on top 6-5. In the next round I lost at home to Dundee United 1-0. Again, failed with the boards projected target of a semi final appearance.

In the Scottish Cup, the fourth round saw me head to Morton where I lost 4-3. The board were very disappointed and there was some rumours flying around that my job was on the line.

iw4wlc.jpg

After the disastrous result at Morton, I decided to ditch the 442 formation for the last time and went with the 451 formation (detailed below)

ay6fz4.jpg

the ultimate aim of going with the 451 formation was to try and arrest the goals against and look to hit on the counter attack with both the left and right midfielders set as wingers to attack.

The results started to happen immediately. Out of the remaining 17 matches, I lost only 3 (Celtic, Hearts and Dundee)

In the remaining 17 games, in only 3 matches did i concede more than one goal also, a massive improvement and gives the team a platform to build upon.

The upturn in fortunes dragged me back to the brink of the top 6. My final match before the split was at home to Hamilton. They were the team in 6th position and lead me by 2 points. a Real must win game. Thankfully, despite going a goal behind, the lads grabbed a 2-1 win to secure my top 6 place.

Like in real life, I was screwed with the fixtures. Away to Celtic, Thistle and Hearts before facing Aberdeen and Dundee at home.

2ypdt10.jpg

what can i say, undefeated in the split and managed to grab 4th spot.

n1dq2q.jpg

Amazingly, Celtic won the Scottish Cup against Hibernian on penalties and the secured a very surprising return to the European Arena for the forthcoming season.

In my first season, the board agreed to a parent club and I eventually hooked up a relationship with Montpellier.

I grabbed 4 players from them on loan, along with 3 younger players for the future.

3 players departed, Brown, Lappin and Sutton, while a few youngsters went out on loan.

1zzt6e.jpg

Season 2 started with a major overhaul of the players. Quite a lot of incoming and outgoings.

I managed to bring back 3 of the loan players from Montpellier who were excellent in the first season.

I also managed to raid Partick Thistle for their out of contract players (Booth, Lawless and Bannigan)

Club legends such is Dave Mackay, Steven MacLean, Steven Anderson and Danny Swanson all made way.

6o1ssk.jpg

probably the reason of my success has been the form of Kane and Cummins - both have been rotated every game (due to the amount of games I am playing) but both are goal machines despite playing as the lone striker (Kane is played as Advanced Forward whilst Cummins is deployed as Target man).

dn137l.jpg

2mnktjt.jpg

As usual with St Johnstone these days, it is European Football for our pre-season :thumsup2

I thought I had assembled a half decent squad this season and expected to hit the board's ambition for making the 3rd qualifying round so long as the draw was kind to me.

What happened was beyond my wildest dreams.

2rclk4p.jpg

< well jealous.

think i have been very lucky, I really could have been punted after the debacle in the scottish cup away to Morton. The 451 has been my saviour as has been consulting my staff (especially my amazing assistant manager Joe McLaughlin) well before every game and tweaking the instructions etc.

I always love seeing saints fans varying takes and paths. I look at some and go that's definitely not what I'd do, then again I'm way to sentimental on FM for my own good.

Any plans to expand the stadium? For the first time in FM ever I've been granted that request. :o

the board also expected us to progress to the semi final of both the Scottish League Cup and the Scottish Cup. So far so good in the League Cup despite tough fixtures.

242bszm.jpg

In the league, it has been an ok campaign to date. again, the 451 formation has resulted in only 3 games where i have conceded more than one goal.

2guyzxt.jpg

I always love seeing saints fans varying takes and paths. I look at some and go that's definitely not what I'd do, then again I'm way to sentimental on FM for my own good.

Any plans to expand the stadium? For the first time in FM ever I've been granted that request. :o

Much the same Widge. Love seeing how you and RG get on and have always wanted to do a save like you guys and showcase it.

I am having a hell of a 2nd season to date and hopefully will give me some credit in the bank with the board should i hit the skids down the line. I have made a power of money from the European run this season so really hope to upgrade the squad and try and keep picking up some good youth players to eventually blood into the team.  If Montpellier did not loan me the players they have, I would be in a bit of trouble as the squad is not that deep.

so there we have it - I have brought you slap bang up to date with where I am. Sitting in a decent position in the league with games in hand (next two are at home to Hamilton then Motherwell)

2kes9f.jpg

The draw for the knock out stages of the Europa League happens between the Hamilton and Motherwell matches. Should be very interesting to see who we get.

All in all - this must be my 20th attempt at playing as saints on FM2016 and this has been my most successful ever to date. You would think with me doing the saints data for the game that this would help me but it just goes to show you that this is not the case.

Unfortunately, due to work commitments and kids, my playing time is not all that regular but I will update as much as i can.

COYS :lol::thumsup2

he has featured a little in my 2nd season

2j0nhb9.jpg

Boys got 8 Scotland caps and is. First team regular in my game. :lol:

It's amazing the differ met paths this game throws up.

Boys got 8 Scotland caps and is. First team regular in my game. :lol:

It's amazing the differ met paths this game throws up.

What season are you in ??

Who are the other standout's in your save?

definitely noticed with young players with decent potential, if you play them regularly then sometimes their stats do sky rocket. In regards to Brad, when he come over to saints I felt the Hearts researcher had him a bit too highly rated. I did not really change this as I only seen him play twice (european game at home and Hearts away first game of the season) so did not feel had seen enough of him to tweak his attributes. In the most recent update, due to him being on loan at Dunfermline, their researcher will have had to amend his stats based on performances etc.

It will be interesting to see all the young guys who are out on loan, when they are back in my saints database in the summer to see what their respective researcher thinks of them.

Archived