Sky Q

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Its not the new, new one though :lol: That has a fancy track pad type thing.

Not sure why they would do an old style one instead of that to be honest

Think it's the same idea as the big button telephone for older people, and has to be ordered specially.

Getting Sky Q and a Sky Q mini box installed a week on Friday. Looking forward to being able to record TV shows again whilst watching something else :lol:

Not a good start for the Sky Q experience. Appointment booked in for today between 12 and 5 when I get a call this morning from the engineer saying they will be there at 9:30 for some reason. When I asked why they were so early they said they didn't work to the same timetable as Sky and they don't know why I was told they would be there between 12 and 5. Next appointment isn't for another 3 weeks which is a bit of a piss take as well.

Nope thats bullshit. You get 2 slot times, either morning or afternoon. If you have chosen afternoon then they should come within that time. Phone sky up saying this is unacceptable and you are not going to wait 3 weeks for this to happen, the latest you should get this done by now if you phone today is Tuesday i reckon as its the weekend
You should not need to wait this long since they are the one in the wrong

He's in a shared flat, so maybe isn't the usual sky engineers

21 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Nope thats bullshit. You get 2 slot times, either morning or afternoon. If you have chosen afternoon then they should come within that time. Phone sky up saying this is unacceptable and you are not going to wait 3 weeks for this to happen, the latest you should get this done by now if you phone today is Tuesday i reckon as its the weekend
You should not need to wait this long since they are the one in the wrong

It was Campbell and Kennedy who I've found to be shitebags when I had Sky installed in Aberdeen before. Once got told the place I was staying in was too high up to have a dish fitted (first floor flat by the way). I reckon the guy maybe just wanted to knock off early or something. I'll be giving Sky a call to have a wee rant, politely of course, about the inconvenience caused. 

Edited by RiG

Got a phone call from Sky yesterday attempting to persuade me to upgrade to Sky Q. As a "valued customer" I can have it for free but it will cost me £70 installation fee and £12 extra per month once I actually have it.

Told them I wasn't interested. Sky is bloody expensive enough without paying an extra £144 for something I didn't need.

Was I wrong? Is there any actual benefit to this? I don't have (and don't particularly want) multi room. We only got a second tv in the house at Xmas and that's pretty much only for the kids to play xbox on. Much though I've had occasional issues on a Saturday night trying to record the Championship on Five whilst the wife is watching Casualty and recording The Voice (fortunately now finished), I don't want to spend £140 a year for a 3 or 4 times a year instance of not being able to deal with three channels at once. Usually at least one of them has a "+1" channel you can record it on instead. I don't really need additional storage space on my hard box and don't especially want to lose the stuff currently stored in the HD box at the moment (I presume I would lose it in switching over?). I appreciate it's obviously new and updated technology but do I actually NEED it for anything?

29 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Got a phone call from Sky yesterday attempting to persuade me to upgrade to Sky Q. As a "valued customer" I can have it for free but it will cost me £70 installation fee and £12 extra per month once I actually have it.

Told them I wasn't interested. Sky is bloody expensive enough without paying an extra £144 for something I didn't need.

Was I wrong? Is there any actual benefit to this? I don't have (and don't particularly want) multi room. We only got a second tv in the house at Xmas and that's pretty much only for the kids to play xbox on. Much though I've had occasional issues on a Saturday night trying to record the Championship on Five whilst the wife is watching Casualty and recording The Voice (fortunately now finished), I don't want to spend £140 a year for a 3 or 4 times a year instance of not being able to deal with three channels at once. Usually at least one of them has a "+1" channel you can record it on instead. I don't really need additional storage space on my hard box and don't especially want to lose the stuff currently stored in the HD box at the moment (I presume I would lose it in switching over?). I appreciate it's obviously new and updated technology but do I actually NEED it for anything?

Going by what you've said, no you dont need it (yes, you would lose everything recorded on your current box)

The only other thing it gives, that you havent listed, is Ultra HD. Im guessing you're not too bothered about that either though?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got Sky Q installed yesterday and after a whole three hours of watching TV the main Sky Q box died. Finding it hard to say it's been worth it so far! :lol:

51 minutes ago, RiG said:

Finally got Sky Q installed yesterday and after a whole three hours of watching TV the main Sky Q box died. Finding it hard to say it's been worth it so far! :lol:

Loose cable?

Just now, welshbairn said:

Loose cable?

Don't think so. I checked everything last night, tried different sockets etc. and it just won't power back on.

57 minutes ago, RiG said:

Don't think so. I checked everything last night, tried different sockets etc. and it just won't power back on.

What were you watching? It has an inbuilt quality filter. Sounds like you've been watching too much shite and the box has turned off

Getting close to just cancelling this whole thing and waiting for Virgin to come to my street after this shambles.

Phoned Sky about the dead box and they arranged for an engineer to come on Thursday to resolve it but suggested I call Campbell and Kennedy to see if they could come out sooner and if they could they would cancel the other appointment for Thursday. Called C & K and they had a guy sent out to sort it first thing this morning. Or so I thought.

He turned up thinking he was just there to see if the box was working or not and didn't have a replacement box with him and that was coming on Thursday. Tried calling Sky and kept getting told to look online for help by their automatic system and couldn't get through to anyone.

Getting pretty fed up at how much time I'm having to take away from work for this installation to be sorted out. There's only so long my boss will keep letting me make up these hours. This will be three days this week where I've been missing parts of the working day for this Sky Q setup.

• 3 months later...
On 04/04/2017 at 18:48, Mr X said:

Its not the new, new one though :lol: That has a fancy track pad type thing.

Not sure why they would do an old style one instead of that to be honest

@Mr X and I think @welshbairn Took a while but this is the handset for Sky Q for older people. It has the same shape as the old one bur the new Q buttons. It also has raised grips on the side rather than being smooth.

IMG_0559.JPG

On 20/08/2017 at 19:52, WILLIEA said:

@Mr X and I think @welshbairn Took a while but this is the handset for Sky Q for older people. It has the same shape as the old one bur the new Q buttons. It also has raised grips on the side rather than being smooth.

IMG_0559.JPG

In fact that is not the control supplied with Sky Q.  One is the touch pad version which I did not like but more importantly, neither did the boss (i.e the Mrs).   They also supply a second, traditional style control which is a smaller and neater version of the above but with all the same buttons.   The Sky Q interface itself is entirely different from  traditional Sky but a big improvement imho.   My only complaint is that on switch on it defaults to a "My SkyQ" screen whereas I would rather it went direct to "All Channels"

1 hour ago, Tonsilitis said:

In fact that is not the control supplied with Sky Q.  One is the touch pad version which I did not like but more importantly, neither did the boss (i.e the Mrs).   They also supply a second, traditional style control which is a smaller and neater version of the above but with all the same buttons.   The Sky Q interface itself is entirely different from  traditional Sky but a big improvement imho.   My only complaint is that on switch on it defaults to a "My SkyQ" screen whereas I would rather it went direct to "All Channels"

Read the thread !

It is supplied for SkyQ for older/disabled 

Edited by WILLIEA

• 2 months later...