Sky Q

Maybe they removed that option because its not the 1990s anymore [emoji14]

You can filter by HD channels on the EPG, not sure why you'd need anything more.

Make sure you set the output on the Q box to the right resolution - it has 1080p or 4K if you have a 4K tv

Its still a thing on non skyq. Will get used to it.
Missed the router being delivered today. A mere 12 hours after ordered. Got to say sky ireland should show sky UK a thing or two.
Dont have 4k. Do have 3d mind you..

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mon Da Clyde said:

Bringing this back up to top, as I'm getting installed 11th December. Don't have 4k, but would appreciate any info on how reliant it is on broadband - as Im only getting unlimited and not fibre.

Any tips or common early noob mistake avoiders appreciated too.

Its only really reliant if you want to watch alot of Catch Up, Films or Box Sets. Normal TV and recordings does not affect it.

• 4 weeks later...

Does it have a feature where the Sky Q box randomly records programmes it thinks you might like?

Iv noticed a few times things being recorded that I haven't set and put it down to me pressing record button by mistake but half the stuff I accidently recorded seems to be stuff I'm mildly interested in so wondered if it's some sort of recommended feature?

Does it have a feature where the Sky Q box randomly records programmes it thinks you might like?
Iv noticed a few times things being recorded that I haven't set and put it down to me pressing record button by mistake but half the stuff I accidently recorded seems to be stuff I'm mildly interested in so wondered if it's some sort of recommended feature?

I've noticed something similar. It seems to record Talking Dead every week even when I've deleted it. Something else appeared in my recordings the other day too

1 hour ago, DavidMcG said:

39 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I've noticed something similar. It seems to record Talking Dead every week even when I've deleted it. Something else appeared in my recordings the other day too

think both sky and virgin have this service, seen a number of things from time to time on my tivo recordings that i know i didnt record but have a connection to some of the shows i do record

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP...

What are the chances, if I phone up Sky, of being able to upgrade from Sky Broadband Unlimited and Sky+HD to Sky Fibre and Sky Q without having to pay the ridiculous £150 'one off' charge the website quotes? Anyone got experience of getting a decent deal out of them?

I have ordered Sky Q which is arriving next week.  The following week, the 21st century arrives in Wemyss Bay in that I can get fibre.  Both are ending up reducing my Sky and BT bills as I already have multi room and that drops out.  I figure if I can have the latest system for less money it's a no brainer.

i did consider getting BT tv to replace Sky but my wife likes a lot of Sky Atlantic programmes so I let that stick to the wall and then looked at the Q upgrade.

Next I guess I need a 4K tv!

Re upgrading to Sky Q, we have a lot of stuff - mostly kids films for when our grandkids visit - recorded on the old box.  Is there any way of moving them to the new box?

Short answer, no. There is software available that will let you rip the recordings off the old box onto a pc, although I've no idea how easy it actually is.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Have a billing question. If you have BT sport and have 3 mini boxes. Would you be paying for the BTSport on 3 boxes or just the main one?

I think you have to pay for all 3. I think this has also changed, as when I first got Sky Q I could watch BT sport on the mini box. The last time I tried, though, I couldnt. I did a quick check online and found a few people saying you had to pay for all the minis but nothing definitive

• 4 weeks later...

I got Sky Q etc at the end of January which actually saved me a little money compared the old Sky set up - to do with multi room I think.   I also bought a new TV from Amazon which arrived with a cracked screen and had to go back.  It then took a couple of weeks to get my money back.  By that time the TV I wanted had had a £200 reduction at Currys plus they were giving away a free 4K Blueray player with it so no brainer.  

I have to say the upscaling works well from HD and definitely improves picture quality over my old HD set but the football on Skysports is generally in 4k and its fantastic.  Also the free 4k blueray player had three free 4k dvds with it and they look amazing.  Downside is that watching that is in standard def is less good than I remember the old HD set handling it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got normal Sky through a communal dish in my flat but unfortunately there is only one feed from the satellite to my box so I can only watch / record one programme at a time.

One of my pals said that Sky Q only needs one feed coming from the dish (provided it has been upgraded) so you can still watch one channel and record X others with just one feed.

Had a quick look and apparently my dish has been upgraded so I can get Sky Q and someone from Sky said that one feed is all I need to be able to watch one programme and record a few others. I'm pretty cynical so can anyone confirm that this is the case before I go ahead an order it?

T/Y.

5 minutes ago, RiG said:

I've got normal Sky through a communal dish in my flat but unfortunately there is only one feed from the satellite to my box so I can only watch / record one programme at a time.

One of my pals said that Sky Q only needs one feed coming from the dish (provided it has been upgraded) so you can still watch one channel and record X others with just one feed.

Had a quick look and apparently my dish has been upgraded so I can get Sky Q and someone from Sky said that one feed is all I need to be able to watch one programme and record a few others. I'm pretty cynical so can anyone confirm that this is the case before I go ahead an order it?

T/Y.

I have two feeds coming into mine but thats because of the different way the signal works - as far as I understand and in fairly simplistic terms, the LNB (bit on the end of the dish) controlled the channel and the box just took a stream - hence one feed per watched channel, but the Sky Q box takes everything and controls the different channels etc itself.

However, from a quick google search it looks like the communal dishes are different again with something fitted to make them compatible with both Q and the existing system. I couldnt see anything definitive about how many feeds you need for communal dishes but it does seem like Sky are pretty serious about servicing the communal market and there are a few people saying one feed is enough as long as your dish has been upgraded with a dscr multiswitch

22 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I have two feeds coming into mine but thats because of the different way the signal works - as far as I understand and in fairly simplistic terms, the LNB (bit on the end of the dish) controlled the channel and the box just took a stream - hence one feed per watched channel, but the Sky Q box takes everything and controls the different channels etc itself.

However, from a quick google search it looks like the communal dishes are different again with something fitted to make them compatible with both Q and the existing system. I couldnt see anything definitive about how many feeds you need for communal dishes but it does seem like Sky are pretty serious about servicing the communal market and there are a few people saying one feed is enough as long as your dish has been upgraded with a dscr multiswitch

Cheers appreciate that. I did have a look as well and saw a few folk on forums saying that they had two feeds so I was a wee bit sceptical but I think that they were for houses so maybe, as you say, there is some extra trickery involved with communal dishes having something fitted so it can all be done through one feed.

On 22 March 2017 at 12:26, RiG said:

Cheers appreciate that. I did have a look as well and saw a few folk on forums saying that they had two feeds so I was a wee bit sceptical but I think that they were for houses so maybe, as you say, there is some extra trickery involved with communal dishes having something fitted so it can all be done through one feed.

Mr X has given a decent lay rundown, but for further reassurance here's the more technical version.

UK satellite signals are split into two frequency bands (high and low), and two polarisations (horizontal and vertical). This gives four possible places for any given channel to reside - high/horizontal; low horizontal; high vertical; low vertical.

The LNB, which is the bit on the arm that sticks out from the dish, is what receives the signals. A single LNB (installed in the early days of Sky Digital, before Sky+ was a thing) can lock onto only one of these combinations at a time. That means the box can only tune into channels on the frequencies in the currently locked combination. It's also why when Sky+ came along, you needed two feeds - the "duo" LNB was able to lock onto two different combinations, allowing any two channels to be tuned into at the same time (record+watch or record x2).

Sky Q has extended this idea by using an LNB that combines the high and low frequency bands into a single band. This means that only two combinations now exist - horizontal and vertical polarisation, both carrying the high and low frequencies. That means providing two fixed feeds (one for each polarisation) to a Sky Q box gives it the entire frequency and polarisation range, which is why it has can support 12 tuners.

For people with communal dishes, it's taken one step further. The two polarisations are also combined onto a single cable. This is called SCR (single cable routing). Effectively what you end up with is something not dissimilar to a normal TV aerial - a single feed carrying all the signals.

If Sky say your communal dish supports Sky Q and that you need only one feed, they're likely telling the truth. It's definitely possible from a technical standpoint. 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Mr X has given a decent lay rundown, but for further reassurance here's the more technical version.

UK satellite signals are split into two frequency bands (high and low), and two polarisations (horizontal and vertical). This gives four possible places for any given channel to reside - high/horizontal; low horizontal; high vertical; low vertical.

The LNB, which is the bit on the arm that sticks out from the dish, is what receives the signals. A single LNB (installed in the early days of Sky Digital, before Sky+ was a thing) can lock onto only one of these combinations at a time. That means the box can only tune into channels on the frequencies in the currently locked combination. It's also why when Sky+ came along, you needed two feeds - the "duo" LNB was able to lock onto two different combinations, allowing any two channels to be tuned into at the same time (record+watch or record x2).

Sky Q has extended this idea by using an LNB that combines the high and low frequency bands into a single band. This means that only two combinations now exist - horizontal and vertical polarisation, both carrying the high and low frequencies. That means providing two fixed feeds (one for each polarisation) to a Sky Q box gives it the entire frequency and polarisation range, which is why it has can support 12 tuners.

For people with communal dishes, it's taken one step further. The two polarisations are also combined onto a single cable. This is called SCR (single cable routing). Effectively what you end up with is something not dissimilar to a normal TV aerial - a single feed carrying all the signals.

If Sky say your communal dish supports Sky Q and that you need only one feed, they're likely telling the truth. It's definitely possible from a technical standpoint. 

Thats what I said :P

Has anyone else given up on the new Sky remote? We were getting loads of problems mainly when fast forwarding, the thing would go beserk and rewind and forward on its on and skip back and forwards in the programme. At first I thought it was an issue with the box but it hasnt happened since I stopped using the new remote

20 hours ago, The Master said:

I got most of that but was still left a bit confused by a fair chunk of it :lol: 

TSwift-Confused-4.gif