Hearts Stadium Development

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
will the new tynecastle be bigger than easter rd? 

According to the club the new capacity at Tynecastle is “Over 20,000”

There seems to be a commonly held belief that it will be slightly less than the 20,421 seats at Easter Road

Hence the twaddle you’ve just read

as an added twist the work to remodel the police Control Room won’t happen immediately which means that the opening day capacity might be slightly smaller than the eventual capacity

If it turns out to be 20,422 then you can expect Elixir to be absolutely unbearable for a few months

46 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

I'm hearing we can't afford to pay to clean or replace any damaged seats, hence the protective covers. 

Strap yourselves in, folks. Faded seats are here to stay.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

It's £14m and is being built in 2017, not 2010 when you got it on the cheap. It'll hold a thousand more seats as well. Obviously the interior, exterior and corporate needs are a big factor. About a million of that cost covers renovation work to the other three stands as well.

Aye but what's the total capacity?

15 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

will the new tynecastle be bigger than easter rd? 

It'll hold 200-300 less.

15 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Don’t think Hibs stand has a Tesco Extra attached to the back of it mate.

The whole stand is gonna be a Tesco, m9.

14 hours ago, Lebowski said:

It holds 7500? Okay, fair enough, it looked about the same size as the Wheatfield.

Cheers for the answer, was genuinely curious. It seems very expensive tbh, but I was aware corporate etc would push costs up, but didn't know there was other renovation going on too.

It'll hold 7,290. Hibs' east stand is listed at 6,341. The back rows haven't been added yet.

14 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

That police box is still there, though.

It's getting removed during the winter break.

13 hours ago, Cumdog35 said:

Aye but what's the total capacity?

Budge said at a meeting recently that it would be a couple hundred over 20,000 - perhaps when wheelchair and carer seating is taken into account. She's a slaver, though. The original capacity was stated as 20,099, so that will be the minimum figure.

That number also tallies up with the listed available stand capacities.

Gorgie: 3,340

Roseburn: 3,551

Wheatfield: 5,918

New Main Stand: 7,290

Again, seemingly wheelchair and carer seating may not be included in those figures - likely for the three older stands - so the total could indeed be nearer 20,200.

I was down in McLeod St the other night about half six so I had a wee look through the fence.  I have no idea where Hearts will play Thistle on the 15th  but I can't see it being at Tynecastle.  The concourse areas look unfinished, with wiring hanging down in places.   Thinking through the processes involved in terms of the building contract, eg testing and commissioning the services,  and also the building control processes of getting a temporary occupation certificate and a ground safety certificate, I simply can't see it being done on time.  At this point I'd been expecting to see a largely finished building and it just doesn't look like that right now.

Scotland are playing NZ at rugby on the 14th so Murrayfield surely can't be an option for the 15th... Is there a contingency plan in place?

9 minutes ago, archie guevara said:

I was down in McLeod St the other night about half six so I had a wee look through the fence.  I have no idea where Hearts will play Thistle on the 15th  but I can't see it being at Tynecastle.  The concourse areas look unfinished, with wiring hanging down in places.   Thinking through the processes involved in terms of the building contract, eg testing and commissioning the services,  and also the building control processes of getting a temporary occupation certificate and a ground safety certificate, I simply can't see it being done on time.  At this point I'd been expecting to see a largely finished building and it just doesn't look like that right now.

Scotland are playing NZ at rugby on the 14th so Murrayfield surely can't be an option for the 15th... Is there a contingency plan in place?

The bits you can see from McLeod street aren't the concourses, those are where the offices and hospitality etc will go, which we've already said won't be ready for the first game.  But the fan areas, toilets, kiosks and whatnot should be ok for then.

17 minutes ago, archie guevara said:

There was a wire hanging from the roof of the old main stand for eight years and Hearts managed to get a safety certificate for that. I'll be surprised if it isn't ready by the 15th.

Out of curiousity I had a look on the council website to see the scope of the first phase. They don't have the Building Warrant yet... let alone the sign off that would follow  completion of the stage of construction detailed in the warrant aplication. https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/scottishBuildingWarrantDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=OHGCI6EW0MU00

However I'm sure it will be fine.

I find it quite bizarre how some people are taking so much joy out of a stand being incomplete on time. For me, as a football fan, I find it frustrating because you just want to see it finished and looking swell. On the other hand you have other people who come across as desperate for construction to hit another hurdle.

52 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I find it quite bizarre how some people are taking so much joy out of a stand being incomplete on time. For me, as a football fan, I find it frustrating because you just want to see it finished and looking swell. On the other hand you have other people who come across as desperate for construction to hit another hurdle.

Thistle are meant to be playing at Tynecastle on the 15th. That's all that I'm interested in.  

'Well have Hearts at the start of December - I'm in two minds on whether I want it to be in the completed Tynecastle, which would be good to see - or whether I can manage to see 'Well at 4 different grounds in Edinburgh in one season after our trip to Ainslie Park (and as a rugby hater, I've never been to Murrayfield, so it would be a good excuse). 

Archived