Unfunny comedians

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's still the same but when I was growing up, it seemed all a comedian needed was a Liverpool, Irish or Cockney accent and the BBC would guarantee them a successful career. The ability to make people laugh was not required.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

I don't know if it's still the same but when I was growing up, it seemed all a comedian needed was a Liverpool, Irish or Cockney accent and the BBC would guarantee them a successful career. The ability to make people laugh was not required.

See John Bishop and Micky Flanagan.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

I was born in 1987 and can’t really think of any scouse comedians aside from Alexei Sayle and John Bishop. If we add in actors you’ve got Ricky Tomlinson and Craig Charles and that’s about it. On the other hand, going to Oxford or Cambridge seems to be a fucking brilliant way to get comedy acting roles.

3 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

Doesn’t really have a scouse accent and not many of the others are BBC staples in the era of colour television. Basically they gave John Bishop far more opportunity than his talent warranted but they’ve done that with Welsh folk, geordies, people from the west country, posh folk and there’s a generally unfunny but attractive Canadian who seems to be on everything right now.

Doesn’t really have a scouse accent and not many of the others are BBC staples in the era of colour television. Basically they gave John Bishop far more opportunity than his talent warranted but they’ve done that with Welsh folk, geordies, people from the west country, posh folk and there’s a generally unfunny but attractive Canadian who seems to be on everything right now.
Katherine Ryan. I saw her at The Pavilion. For a female comedian she was actually OK. Nowhere near the funniest comedian I've been to see but she was far from the worst either.

katherineryan-0.jpg

2 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Anyone from Liverpool.

oooh i dunno - all those 300,000 odd folk who've signed the "stone Ramos to death and replay the final" petition are fucking laughable for  start...

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Although born in Canada she seems to have procured an Irish passport, due to her Da being from there

1 minute ago, Zen Archer said:

Although born in Canada she seems to have procured an Irish passport, due to her Da being from there

I’ve changed my mind, I now love her and I wanna sing to her about stealing potatoes as I sail away in a prison ship.

6 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

Pretty much every single comedian who takes part in those "football's wackiest/best moments" television programmes.  See also, "television's most memorable moments" shows.

That format makes my toes curl.

When they regurgitate what's happened it's like the producer/director doesn't trust you to make your own mind up.

53 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Katherine Ryan. I saw her at The Pavilion. For a female comedian she was actually OK. Nowhere near the funniest comedian I've been to see but she was far from the worst either.

katherineryan-0.jpg

I saw her two years ago at the fringe, just before she became massive and started charging 30-odd quid for a ticket.

Yeah, she was mildly amusing and I even got a heckle from her when I came back from the toilet.

1 hour ago, The OP said:

I was born in 1987 and can’t really think of any scouse comedians aside from Alexei Sayle and John Bishop. If we add in actors you’ve got Ricky Tomlinson and Craig Charles and that’s about it. On the other hand, going to Oxford or Cambridge seems to be a fucking brilliant way to get comedy acting roles.

Maybe a generational thing then. Stan Boardman, Tom O'Conner, Jackie Hamilton and Jimmy Tarbuck are ones that spring to mind but in the 70's and 80's, it seemed like there was a whole host of talentless Scouse no-marks who could be rolled out for every occasion.

Agreed on the Oxford-Cambridge thing. I get the impression the Beeb were so desperate to recapture the lightning in a bottle that was Monty Python, that they were willing to give a gig to anyone who'd been part of that scene.

42 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I saw her two years ago at the fringe, just before she became massive and started charging 30-odd quid for a ticket.

Yeah, she was mildly amusing and I even got a heckle from her when I came back from the toilet.

I'd have replied "I was just knocking one off, hen" just to see the reaction. 

The disabled guy on BGT tonight was brilliant. He is able to swing things back to an era when his types of jokes were acceptable and very funny without upsetting the right on brigade that seems to populate everywhere nowadays.

Archived