Unfunny comedians

I don't know if it's a thing that happens as you get older, but I don't find any of the comedians that you see on TV these days as funny. Boring pish. Used to look forward to Live At The Apollo, now it's must avoid TV.

19 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't know if it's a thing that happens as you get older, but I don't find any of the comedians that you see on TV these days as funny. Boring pish. Used to look forward to Live At The Apollo, now it's must avoid TV.

The problem with that show is that too many comedians just perform a segment of their current show - an extreme example being Rhod Gilbert (big fan, BTW) whose rants over life's minutiae are entertaining enough, but work much better as part of a full, painstakingly constructed  onstage performance. Like Mulumbu's recent goal against the green trogs - a quality build-up and strike, but viewing it in isolation deprives you of the satisfaction gained from a full ninety minute (plus Lawell Added Time) skelping of the highest order. 

John Bishop. His material at best is weak. But my biggest problem is his slow delivery style and the way he actually speaks. May be a tad unfair, but I just cant watch him any more. We was on tv loads last year and this year has his own talk show. Proof if any were needed tv execs don't have a fucking clue what they are doing.

4 hours ago, Wasperoonie said:

John Bishop. His material at best is weak. But my biggest problem is his slow delivery style and the way he actually speaks. May be a tad unfair, but I just cant watch him any more. We was on tv loads last year and this year has his own talk show. Proof if any were needed tv execs don't have a fucking clue what they are doing.

He’s one of the most unfunny ones out there at the moment and I totally agree regarding his slow delivery 

Edited by Unleash The Nade

17 hours ago, beefybake said:

For me, Michael MacIntye is the most unfunny of all.  That round face from which burst explosions of inane incredulity at the most ordinary

of 'comedic'subjects.  Female equivalent is Miranda Hart.

Dismal both.

Rubbish comedian but to give him his due, as a Saturday night family entertainment show compere, he beats the shear awfulness of his predecessors. Bruce Forsyth comes to mind. The bar is admittedly low.

17 hours ago, beefybake said:

For me, Michael MacIntye is the most unfunny of all.  That round face from which burst explosions of inane incredulity at the most ordinary

of 'comedic'subjects.  Female equivalent is Miranda Hart.

Dismal both.

aye he's atrocious just a posh, eccentric head nodding idiot

It's very difficult to judge a comedian based on what you see of them based on TV, especially hosting a chat show which is miles away from stand up, and taste in comedy; like most things, is highly subjective. 

Relatively short bursts of a set rarely give a genuine insight into a comedian. A comedian needs to establish a relationship, almost build trust, with his audience and you can't build any level of intimacy with a TV audience (I'd say there is a similar problem with comedy in large arenas). Additionally there is a structure and pace to a typical 30-45 minute set that helps build the comedy which is lost when short chunks of a set are performed.

1 hour ago, John MacLean said:

It's very difficult to judge a comedian based on what you see of them based on TV, especially hosting a chat show which is miles away from stand up, and taste in comedy; like most things, is highly subjective. 

Relatively short bursts of a set rarely give a genuine insight into a comedian. A comedian needs to establish a relationship, almost build trust, with his audience and you can't build any level of intimacy with a TV audience (I'd say there is a similar problem with comedy in large arenas). Additionally there is a structure and pace to a typical 30-45 minute set that helps build the comedy which is lost when short chunks of a set are performed.

Alternatively,  on TV the audience has only given over 30 - 45 minutes of their life, and if it doesn't go well, all they've missed out on is...., well what comes to mind ?

Whereas, if you're out at a gig, both of you maybe, you've spent all that time and money on getting dressed up, tickets, travel, drinks beforehand... the whole palaver....

and you're in there trying to mentally justify all that, while trying desperately to silence that insistent little voice that keeps urging

you to turn to your significant other , and shout ...

"...  YOU KNOW LOVE, THIS IS SHITE.....  "

Nothing against the guy, but how is Nish Kumar making a living being a comedian FFS!! Yet he seems to get a gig on every comedy panel show going. I just want to put a brick through the screen at his smug puss.
He is completely unfunny, doesn’t raise a smile never mind a laugh, his most recent contribution The Mash Report is so reliant on canned laughter it’s cringeworthy to watch, had to switch it off. Absolute Pish!!
What makes it worse is Aisling Bea, who’s pretty decent I reckon, wrote that he was one of her favourite performers!!! What a Load of Shite.

Nish Kumar is fucking awful.

Don’t especially find much new or interesting from most political “satirists” - it’s almost too easy taking pot shots at Trump/Brexit and those who voted for him/it.

Quite interested in Geoff Norcott’s chat - a “right leaning” comedian albeit I wouldn’t necessarily agree with all his viewpoints. Something a bit different.

On 13/02/2018 at 14:05, Wasperoonie said:

I saw him in Aberdeen and he finished off with an overly lengthy biographical story that went on and on, only to have a rubbish punchline.  Most people were looking around saying "was that it?!" just before he gave it the "thanks everyone, goodnight!" and f***ed off.

The entire repertoire essentially consisted of "I'm a Scouser who made something of myself, how mental and funny is that?" 

<_<

Nothing against the guy, but how is Nish Kumar making a living being a comedian FFS!! Yet he seems to get a gig on every comedy panel show going. I just want to put a brick through the screen at his smug puss.
He is completely unfunny, doesn’t raise a smile never mind a laugh, his most recent contribution The Mash Report is so reliant on canned laughter it’s cringeworthy to watch, had to switch it off. Absolute Pish!!
What makes it worse is Aisling Bea, who’s pretty decent I reckon, wrote that he was one of her favourite performers!!! What a Load of Shite.
Nish Kumar is fucking awful.

Don’t especially find much new or interesting from most political “satirists” - it’s almost too easy taking pot shots at Trump/Brexit and those who voted for him/it.

Quite interested in Geoff Norcott’s chat - a “right leaning” comedian albeit I wouldn’t necessarily agree with all his viewpoints. Something a bit different.
I was so disaaponted with the Mash Report when it aired. The Daily Mash itself is quite funny so I had high hopes so when the show was so bad I assumed they'd just ripped off the name in usual BBC style. It would appear it is connected though. Kumar was poor, the jokes were weak and the made up social media wall thing was like something you'd see at a Primary School talent show (and not a very good one). It's dreadful and the fact it for a second series is beyond parody itself.

On 2/6/2018 at 04:13, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You underestimate the talents of the Quo but you’re right it can look a bit stale out there. It’s about time it got shaken up.

Comedians are normally hired by broadcasters for a 7 minute slot on “Live at the Apollo” or to be on a panel show. Neither of which are conducive to being innovative or experimental.

If you’re serious about a career in comedy then you’ll be building towards that target.

On the Fringe a lot of the most interesting stuff is on the free Fringe with the kind of shambolic, weird potentially disastrous, possibily brilliant acts that TV would never touch

Of course a lot of experiments fail but that’s kind of the point.

I remember seeing a comedian at the fringe that acted and looked like he hadn't taken his lithium......the audience were genuinely concerned for their safety!

Oddly enough, the most memorable comedy show I remember from the fringe was the Aberdeen University Comedy Club.  Every single one of them died on their arse. One girl actually burst into tears on stage. The barman at the venue got the biggest laugh by suggesting they concentrate on their coursework!