Dirt Rally

Mr Sugden

I've got it on PC, haven't played it much recently as been moving house and haven't set my wheel up again but this game is frighteningly good. Played quite a few racing games in my time but nothing has filled me with terror quite like this has. If the co-driver says don't cut, don't fucking cut! The Rallycross is my favourite though, absolutely love it.

I've always wanted to love rally games but they are so tough and unforgiving, spent countless hours repeating stages because I take a wheel off or total the car about 100 yards from the finish line.

That said, I'll probably still give this a go.  :1eye

I've got it on PC, haven't played it much recently as been moving house and haven't set my wheel up again but this game is frighteningly good. Played quite a few racing games in my time but nothing has filled me with terror quite like this has. If the co-driver says don't cut, don't fucking cut! The Rallycross is my favourite though, absolutely love it.

Aye, I discovered that the hard way.

Not sure what to make of the game to be honest. It can be enjoyable, however I've found it impossible to beat the AI cars. Even on the lowest difficulty I've been unable to set a single fastest stage time, let alone win a rally. Would be nice to be able to tone it down a bit so it's challenging but you feel there is a chance of getting rewarded for your efforts.

For those with the PC version, if you go to http://www.racedepartment.com/and look at the forums you can find alternative/proper liveries for the cars.

I've been hearing good things about this so I'm looking forward to it, plus there is only so much Project Cars and Forza 6 I can play without them getting repetitive. Hopefully it'll be a good alternative to those two games.

I was going to buy one of the WRC games but they don't seem to have a lot of stages on them, well compared to the 1st game in the series anyway. It just didn't seem worth the money tbh.

I've been hearing good things about this so I'm looking forward to it, plus there is only so much Project Cars and Forza 6 I can play without them getting repetitive. Hopefully it'll be a good alternative to those two games.

I was going to buy one of the WRC games but they don't seem to have a lot of stages on them, well compared to the 1st game in the series anyway. It just didn't seem worth the money tbh.

I bought the most recent WRC game and, whilst pretty good, it doesn't have enough stuff to do.  You only get the main rally stages and thats it - a bit arcadey too and quite easy to beat the AI.

I bought the most recent WRC game and, whilst pretty good, it doesn't have enough stuff to do. You only get the main rally stages and thats it - a bit arcadey too and quite easy to beat the AI.

Yeah that's what put me off it tbh. The 1st WRC game was solid at the time, plus it had about 15 to 20 stages for every round of the championship. I suppose the quality of the game has decreased at a similar rate to the overall interest of the actual championship over the years.

• 1 month later...

My problem is by the time the kids are in bed I'm usually knackered and can't concentrate.

Think I'll need to be signed off for a month to get to grips with this.

It is brilliant though and more rewarding coming 3rd in this than 1st in most driving games.

Yeah this has a pretty steep learning curve but overall I'm happy with it.

Started my career with the Lancia Fulvia after foolishly thinking that I had the hang of it after a few custom rallies. I was wrong. So so wrong.

1st stage in Germany I finished 3rd, from then on it was an utter disaster, eventually finishing 16th or something equally shite. 2nd rally at Finland was a total write off of an event. I rolled the car numerous times, fucked the radiator, got a puncture, ruined the rest of the wheels and I think I must've killed about 20 or 30 spectators...

The Rallycross is much more forgiving thankfully, plus once you get the Mini set up right, it's a fun little car. So I think I'm going to learn the game in there before going back to attempting rallies.

Yeah this has a pretty steep learning curve but overall I'm happy with it.

Started my career with the Lancia Fulvia after foolishly thinking that I had the hang of it after a few custom rallies. I was wrong. So so wrong.

1st stage in Germany I finished 3rd, from then on it was an utter disaster, eventually finishing 16th or something equally shite. 2nd rally at Finland was a total write off of an event. I rolled the car numerous times, fucked the radiator, got a puncture, ruined the rest of the wheels and I think I must've killed about 20 or 30 spectators...

The Rallycross is much more forgiving thankfully, plus once you get the Mini set up right, it's a fun little car. So I think I'm going to learn the game in there before going back to attempting rallies.

Yeah I started off with the rallycross and am reasonably good at it (I can at least win events at it while I've yet to win a single rally stage). I've found Hell is, ironically, the easiest of the three tracks to start off with and I see they've added another couple of classes to the full version from the early access. I like going the Peugeot in the fastest class in the Albatec colours (number 27 and something else) as they're based just outside Dumfries and I've managed to visit them a few times for work - haven't managed to get into the cars though!

See they've added a few other bits and bobs in the latest update like the mad Peugeot that Sebastian Loeb took up Pikes Peak a few years back - as if trying that mountain in the other cars wasn't hard enough.

Jesus f**k this is tricky! Did my first run-through there. One of my pet hates with TV shows is when they play computer games and are mashing the buttons continuously. I always comment on how unrealistic it is: until I played this game! A little acceleration goes a long way it would appear.

When I have the camera showing the car I keep coming off but when I switch it to the camera that you just see the road I do far better. I think it's because when I see the car I always feel I'm going too slow so try and go quicker, whereas the ground cam is always fast and I don't feel I need to rush.

I came 5th in the Greece run-through stage in my MK II (awesome car btw), 2min 56sec behind the leader though! I was shocked to finish that high though :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus f**k this is tricky! Did my first run-through there. One of my pet hates with TV shows is when they play computer games and are mashing the buttons continuously. I always comment on how unrealistic it is: until I played this game! A little acceleration goes a long way it would appear.

When I have the camera showing the car I keep coming off but when I switch it to the camera that you just see the road I do far better. I think it's because when I see the car I always feel I'm going too slow so try and go quicker, whereas the ground cam is always fast and I don't feel I need to rush.

I came 5th in the Greece run-through stage in my MK II (awesome car btw), 2min 56sec behind the leader though! I was shocked to finish that high though :lol:

My view of choice is where you see the bonnet of the car. Find the in car impossible and the 3rd person one too removed.

Starting to think that I'll get nowhere fast with this without a wheel. I don't have enough spare time to justify it though.

I think I need to slow down a bit and am going to concentrate on rally X for a bit till I get better.

I used to be really good at driving games as well (Project Gotham 2 Edinburgh being my best record in the online world - as I had no kids or wife back then)

• 10 months later...

Archived