Rangers v Celtic

hoopy1967

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And yes every team suffers this phenomenon of higher crowds when they're playing better and winning more games. The difference - and what diddies don't respect - is people who latch on to a club from a different part of the country purely because they are successful, high profile clubs who always finish the season winning far more games than they lose.

what were aberdeen and dundee united average crowds in the early 80's then?

Your cries of "hard times" ring very hollow to the majority of fans, some of whom have never seen their side win a major trophy, never mind multiple titles and cups.

My auld dear's a life long Airdrie fan (though has only been to about 3 games) and one of my most enjoyable trips to a match ever was taking her to the 1995 SC final when Sellick broke their trophy famine.

I got the early train up from Euston, we went to TGI's in Buchanan Street for lunch (chosen because of its white and red colours), my maw had a small glass of wine (she's almost TT) and we went back to The Central for a train to Mt Florida each holding about a half dozen red and white balloons.

The Airdrie fans were great and the atmosphere at 'our' end of the ground was harmonious.  An all round good experience.

It was very different to when I'd been to the SC final 3 years earlier (with a mate) when we beat Airdrie 2-1.  Then I'd have been in a funk had we been beaten. 

Dundee United's were huge but Aberdeen's were huger. Forever in our shadow.

Average crowds?  Overweight, stupid and ugly in the main with a propensity to wear Wrangler jackets and shite t-shirts.  Anoraks were still pretty popular and a fair few wore balaclavas knitted by their maw/granny along with home-knitted scarves.  There may well have been granny-knitted tammies.

There is a reason why Aberdeen was a leading light of the 'casual' scene.  A huge proportion of their fans looked liked fashion-bereft throwbacks so a few tried to break the mould, ken.

Average crowds?  Overweight, stupid and ugly in the main with a propensity to wear Wrangler jackets and shite t-shirts.  Anoraks were still pretty popular and a fair few wore balaclavas knitted by their maw/granny along with home-knitted scarves.  There may well have been granny-knitted tammies.

There is a reason why Aberdeen was a leading light of the 'casual' scene.  A huge proportion of their fans looked liked fashion-bereft throwbacks so a few tried to break the mould, ken.

He isn't posting on this thread.

So the diddy argument is that even though the closest club to where I was born is Celtic, even though my family are all Celtic supporters & even though I'm fae an Irish Catholic heritage that I'd be seen as a better fan in their eyes if I supported someone like Forfar or Alloa???

Ok. :blink:

So the diddy argument is that even though the closest club to where I was born is Celtic, even though my family are all Celtic supporters & even though I'm fae an Irish Catholic heritage that I'd be seen as a better fan in their eyes if I supported someone like Forfar or Alloa???

Ok. :blink:

That would explain you going to chapel but no fucking idea what it's got to do with a football discussion.

It didn't have any to begin with. If her closest club was Partick would she support them?

Tbf if her nearest team was Partick and she supported Celtic at least she would have her Irish Catholic heritage to back her up. :lol:

Archived