Pie and Bovril "Bigteamers" List

6 hours ago, edinabear said:

I never knew so many fans of other teams were still interested in Sevco.

Nomination for edinabear "Alloa fan"

6 hours ago, edinabear said:

The only bigotry I see on this board is from Hibs fans. That thread for a Linfield game was disgusting

Confirmation for edinabear "Alloa fan"

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That reference is lost on me. I have been meaning to read Gilbert and Sullivan's Wikipedia page for a while though as they often come up in quizzes.

The melody to "hail, hail" is borrowed from "With cat like tread" from Gilbert & Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance.

The familiar bit appears about 40 seconds into the video below

Come friends, who plough the sea

Truce to navigation

Take another station

Let's vary piracy

With a little burglary

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The melody to "hail, hail" is borrowed from "With cat like tread" from Gilbert & Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance.

Truce to navigation

Take another station

Let's vary piracy

With a little burglary

Mother of God, that version of it couldn't have been any more camp if they'd had Julian Clary & Alan Carr doing it!

Isn't Gilbert and Sullivan always camp? It's musical theatre!

The Gilbert & Sullivan aficionados would insist it's "operetta" or light opera as opposed to "musical theatre" in a bid to persuade you that they're somehow more cultured than people who like the work of Andrew Lloyd Webber

The camp point still stands though

• 5 weeks later...
On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 18:07, AsimButtHitsASix said:

"Favourite Old Firm matches"

Yup, I despise them. The **** stand for everything I hate. Very Anti-me. I'm sure there are many in Scotland who support provincial clubs that feel the same way. What's the problem?

23 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

You seem upset.

Why do you say that? The new incarnation will be dead soon (Christ knows, I think they are dead already. Only the charlatan **** are trying to keep the corpse alive.) Pleasing for us provincial 'diddy' clubs. :)

I've seen my club in administration and close to liquidation, but we, the fans, rallied round and saved our club. Old gers fans were clearly out of their depth when it came to their "support".

Why do you say that? The new incarnation will be dead soon (Christ knows, I think they are dead already. Only the charlatan **** are trying to keep the corpse alive.) Pleasing for us provincial 'diddy' clubs. [emoji4]
I've seen my club in administration and close to liquidation, but we, the fans, rallied round and saved our club. Old gers fans were clearly out of their depth when it came to their "support".

As a support it's undeniably wide but also shallow

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/02/2017 at 10:01, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Truce to navigation

Take another station

Let's vary piracy

With a little burglary

Was it the RA RA RAs that put the Celtic fans onto this? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 18:30, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I was at a pal's birthday thing recently and a lot of Rangers fans from Greenock were there and in the middle of a seemingly innocuous chat about football I got asked 'Who do you support really though, Celtic or Rangers?' which actually means 'Malcolm, are you a Proddy or a Tim?'

'I'm a Morton fan, I don't like Rangers or Celtic.'

Scotland is utter shite sometimes :thumbsdown

Ironically the question should really be reversed because so many Old firm fans are not Glaswegians and very likely used to support their local team when younger. This was perhaps more pronounced a generation ago and certainly a couple of generations ago when transport etc was less available/reliable. It seems that to many OF fans, its beyond belief that someone could support a team outwith the duopoly. In a country that's largely secular nowadays, I find it hilarious to hear , for example, Celtic fans make reference to religious themes (the assumption being of course that RCs should all follow this team as a matter of course) and that if someone does not either support or like Celtic, they must by definition be for Rangers. This can work both ways although Rangers fans are usually more likely to accept if you support another team. I know this from experience as a Glaswegian who doesnt support my local team (albeit Saints are only a couple of miles away). I just read on a Celtic website that most of the posters seem to think that Steven Thompson is a Rangers fan (they refer to him as something else) when its well known , and he makes no bones about it, he is a Saints fan. Others in the media, quite a few of whom are Saints fans, have the same problem that by admitting to their preferred team, they are assumed to be "sitting on the fence". Well if its so hard for OF fans to digest, why do they think people spend money and valuable time watching and following another team when secretly they wish they were at Parkhead or ibrox ? No I cant work it out either.

6 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Ironically the question should really be reversed because so many Old firm fans are not Glaswegians and very likely used to support their local team when younger. This was perhaps more pronounced a generation ago and certainly a couple of generations ago when transport etc was less available/reliable. It seems that to many OF fans, its beyond belief that someone could support a team outwith the duopoly. In a country that's largely secular nowadays, I find it hilarious to hear , for example, Celtic fans make reference to religious themes (the assumption being of course that RCs should all follow this team as a matter of course) and that if someone does not either support or like Celtic, they must by definition be for Rangers. This can work both ways although Rangers fans are usually more likely to accept if you support another team. I know this from experience as a Glaswegian who doesnt support my local team (albeit Saints are only a couple of miles away). I just read on a Celtic website that most of the posters seem to think that Steven Thompson is a Rangers fan (they refer to him as something else) when its well known , and he makes no bones about it, he is a Saints fan. Others in the media, quite a few of whom are Saints fans, have the same problem that by admitting to their preferred team, they are assumed to be "sitting on the fence". Well if its so hard for OF fans to digest, why do they think people spend money and valuable time watching and following another team when secretly they wish they were at Parkhead or ibrox ? No I cant work it out either.

I used to work with a lot of Celtic fans who used to regularly and annoyingly assume they were my big team simply because I talked to them about Scottish football quite a lot.

I was recently out and about with some Aberdeen fans who, incredibly, defended the nonsense of people with no connection to Glasgow (or even Ireland/NI) 'supporting' the Old Firm for religious or glory hunting reasons. 

Archived