Offensive Behaviour at Football Act

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"rightly fed up with being constantly filmed" :lol:

"If a police officer thinks someone might have been offensive and will testify, truthfully or otherwise" :lol:

"To be charged under this act means some or all of the following: up to four nights in police cells or being chapped up in what the police don’t like being called "dawn raids" but are raids ... at dawn; three or more visits to court (often in other parts of the country); disruption to studies or work; and bail conditions that keep you away from your chosen pastime for months, sometimes more than a year. It is no wonder many young people plead guilty immediately to avoid the disruption." - This is an an experience not exclusive to people held under the act

The act overlaps plenty of existing legislation which if used effectively would make the act unnecessary. But it wasn't for whatever reason and thanks to the total intransigence of a couple of clubs to influence the behaviour of their fans we got this as a bit of a knee jerk.

Look, the act is clearly a bit of a mess but i can't see it being repealed when there is clearly absolutely no effort being made by the clubs whose fans are the biggest or at least the most high profile culprits. It is up to us the footballing community to demonstrate that the act is unnecessary and by us I mean Sellik and Sevco.
Your mess, tidy it up, stop playing the fucking victim for once.

There prob is many who share your view. However, as you can see, there are many who don't.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1456829409.071634.jpg

My slightly tongue in cheek response was to reflect the fact that just because some people make a lot of noise about a particular subject it doesn't necessarily reflect the view of the majority, nor does it necessarily make their arguments more coherent or give their case more merit. I probably wouldn't have replied if you hadn't said "seen opposition from fans across Scotland", but good luck if you're involved in the campaign, I'm all for challenging where you think there's a wrong.

The act doesn't bother me, but then I've never been partial to bawling out sectarian songs and claiming it as my heritage. I've never heard anyone complain about it offline in the real world, or even mention it. I've heard endless complaints about the behaviour it is intended to curb. I'm not convinced it will be as effective as I'd hope, but I hardly feel criminalised.

The atmosphere at football grounds is infinitely better than it was when I was a teenager in the 1970s. There were no restrictions on bigoted chanting, and supporters really were criminalised just for being young football fans. You could be arrested for looking at cops the wrong way, for being beaten up, for insisting on your right to walk peacefully and soberly towards a pub rather than to the ground 2 hours before kick off. I saw all these things happen and regularly. The police would watch fights then move in to clean up the mess when they were over, arresting anyone who couldn't run away - often some poor soul who'd been attacked. I saw them setting dogs on supporters who had been attacked. When I was 15 I was jumped and given a kicking. To be fair the thugs only kicked me on the body and legs, so there were no embarrassing visible bruises. My big fear while it was happening was that the police would spot it and join in. I'd then get a real hammering and a criminal record. In the 1970s the police knew they'd get a conviction for anyone they arrested. They could tell the Sheriff anything and it would be believed. There were no mobile phones and the cops took full advantage.

Now? If you don't act like an idiot there's little chance of getting lifted. The good old days were actually pretty shite.

The Act is just another tactic to try and spread the blame throughout Scottish football rather than tackle the Old Firm scum head on. The Scottish powers that be are too scared to genuinely do anything to get rid of sectarianism.

The Act is just another tactic to try and spread the blame throughout Scottish football rather than tackle the Old Firm scum head on. The Scottish powers that be are too scared to genuinely do anything to get rid of sectarianism.

I'd agree with that if it wasn't for the fact that this law has little to do with sectarianism.

Theoretically, you could be arrested for just about anything you say or do at or on the way to a game. It's a ridiculous law that was completely unneeded and is completely over the top.

I am able to attend a football match without behaving like a complete cretin, so I'm happy for those that do behave like that to feel the full force of the law.

You realise that calling someone a cretin could actually see you break the law if you called them it while on the way to or at the game? All it would take is someone to take offence to the name.

You realise that calling someone a cretin could actually see you break the law if you called them it while on the way to or at the game? All it would take is someone to take offence to the name.

That was the point he made. Calling someone that on the way to a football match would be cretinous behaviour, and he (like the majority of others) wouldn't do that.

Had this been simply a Offensive Behaviour and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012 then I'd not have a problem. That they introduce a set of laws and a standard of evidence for football games but not to the rest of the population is mind-boggling. Even worse is that football fans think it doesn't matter as they aren't OF bigots and that they know how to behave anyway.

This act is pernicious and ignorant and anyone 'not bothered' by it should have their right to vote removed.

NB, I'm not saying football fans should have license to behave badly. I'm simply saying that standards of behaviour should be country-wide rather than sport-wide.

It's doing what it was designed to do.

No coincidence it's OF fans whining as a result.

It isn't and it isn't.

Do you think that ScotGov should have different laws and a different evidence base for football games to compared to the rest of the country?

It does seem to only be the supporters of two clubs who are bothered by this, for some mysterious reason. The Act doesn't enter my thinking at all, in much the same way the assault law doesn't as I am not planning on beating anyone up.

Having thought about it, this appears to be a legislative version of the common law of breach of the peace which specifically covers football, so perhaps the act could be viewed as unnecessary from that point of view - what this Act deems "offensive" could be construed as such if you were going to, say, a rugby game or a concert under breach of the peace law. I think. Breach of the peace is whatever the officer who arrests you (and the Fiscal) says it is, and has been around since the dawn of time.

So, my amateur reading is that the Act is not necessary, but not for the reasons the OP thinks it is.

Also, perhaps it's only fair the author of the article declares her own interest. I assume she just ran out of space before she was able to do that. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7104362.stm

Where you stand depends on where you sit, as they say. Whenever reading an article by anyone, it's always useful to find out a wee bit about the person who has written it.

This only seems to annoy utter c**ts - mainly Sellick-minded cretins.

Can't think of a time it has once even remotely bothered or harmed me at a game. Thankfully, it's here to stay.

"rightly fed up with being constantly filmed" :lol:

"If a police officer thinks someone might have been offensive and will testify, truthfully or otherwise" :lol:

"To be charged under this act means some or all of the following: up to four nights in police cells or being chapped up in what the police don’t like being called "dawn raids" but are raids ... at dawn; three or more visits to court (often in other parts of the country); disruption to studies or work; and bail conditions that keep you away from your chosen pastime for months, sometimes more than a year. It is no wonder many young people plead guilty immediately to avoid the disruption." - This is an an experience not exclusive to people held under the act

The act overlaps plenty of existing legislation which if used effectively would make the act unnecessary. But it wasn't for whatever reason and thanks to the total intransigence of a couple of clubs to influence the behaviour of their fans we got this as a bit of a knee jerk.

Look, the act is clearly a bit of a mess but i can't see it being repealed when there is clearly absolutely no effort being made by the clubs whose fans are the biggest or at least the most high profile culprits. It is up to us the footballing community to demonstrate that the act is unnecessary and by us I mean Sellik and Sevco.

Your mess, tidy it up, stop playing the fucking victim for once.

So you are obviously unaware of the recent case where a police officer was found to have lied in court to try and obtain a conviction. The judge said the only reason he didn't take action against the officer was because his lies didn't affect the outcome of the case

Also, Celtic have banned a number of fans so how can you post the lies that they have done nothing about any problem we have?

Archived