1970 League Tables

Footballfirst

Coltness - gain and loss

Surely Newmains are really just Coltness reincarnated. There had been an awful lot of clubs that had gone defunct from the old Lanarkshire league during the 50's & 60's and the rump of what were left amalgamated with the Central League around 1967 which is when it changed from two divisions to three. Villages like Bedlay and Croy had thriving junior clubs pre WW2 but few of them survived the war. Others like Douglas Water Thistle were victims of pit closures in the early 60's and that is the main reason for the demise of the Lanarkshire league.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put it this way , the Cambuslang Rangers trough wasn't big enough for the amount of noses that tried to get in it.

I could give you a list of names , most have passed away & some still alive , but I'm not going to do that for obvious reasons.

Surely the gradual run-down and eventual closure of the Hoover factory also played a part in your club's loss of revenue?

There had been an awful lot of clubs that had gone defunct from the old Lanarkshire league during the 50's & 60's and the rump of what were left amalgamated with the Central League around 1967 which is when it changed from two divisions to three.

It was at that time, season 1967/68, we left the Ayrshire region to join the Central leagues.

GAINS AND LOSSES (Some teams representing towns/villages have reformed between 1970 and now)

Ayrshire (23)

Losses: 0

Gains 0

No change

Girvan makes it 24.

Tayport should sit as a Midland gain as they moved from Midlands Amateur League to the Tayside League when they turned Junior.

GAINS AND LOSSES (Some teams representing towns/villages have reformed between 1970 and now)

Ayrshire (23)

Gains 0

No change

Girvan makes it 24.

Tayport should sit as a Midland gain as they moved from Midlands Amateur League to the Tayside League when they turned Junior.

Yes - the addition of Girvan and the loss of Stonehouse balance. Tayport should indeed appear in the Midland League gains.

Update

Central (40)
Losses: Blantyre Celtic, Baillieston, Dunoon, Stonehouse (4)
Gains: Clydebank, Rossvale, Gartcairn, Newmains (4)
Net Gain 0
Ayrshire (23)
Gains Girvan (1)
No change
East (25)
Losses: (4) Peebles, Preston, New Blackburn, Bonnybridge
Gains: (5) Easthouses Lily MW, Blackburn, Falkirk Juniors, Edinburgh United, Stoneyburn
Net Gain 1
Fife (17)
Losses: (7) Leven, Comrie, Clackmannan, Valleyfield, Castlehill, Frances, Tulliallan (Dunfermline Jubilee now Rosyth)
Gains: (3) Kelty, Hill of Beath, Kennoway Star Hearts
Net Loss 4
Midland (28)
Losses: (10) Osborne, Alyth,( Forfar E E*, Forfar Celtic*), Luncarty, St Joseph's, Perth Celtic, Stobswell, Bankfoot, , Elmwood, Errol
Gains (2) Scone Thistle, (Forfar Albion*), Tayport
Net Loss 8
* Forfar Celtic and Forfar East End merged to from Forfar Albion. I've show the merger as the loss of one club and the removed Forfar Albion from the "gains".
North (23)
Net gain 12
(North)
Losses: (4) Bishopmill, Lossiemouth U, RAF Kinloss, HMS Fulmar
Gains: (6)Deveronside, Spey Vally, Grantown, Fochabers, Inverness City, Dufftown
(East )
Losses (4)St Machar, (Mugiemoss*), Formartine, Inverurie LW, Rosemount*
Gains (14) (Dyce*), Culter, Hall Russell, Hermes, Ellon, Banchory St T, Maud, Bridge of Don, Fraserburgh U, Colony Park, Longside, Newmachar, Aberdeen Uni, Cruden Bay, Glentanar
*I'm informed that Mugiemoss became Dyce and the club also absorbed Rosemount (which had become Rosslyn Sports). I've removed Dyce/Mugiemoss from the gains and losses.
1970-71 156 clubs
2015-16 158 clubs

Surely the gradual run-down and eventual closure of the Hoover factory also played a part in your club's loss of revenue?

In the 60's & 70's we had a thriving social club (now 'sweepers') right next door to the Hoover plant , which employed about 5,000 people at its peak. many workers used the club straight after work & even before they're shifts (backshift & nightshift). Most of these people had club memberships because this was the only way you'd get in on Friday & Saturday nights as it was so busy. This was probably the main reason the team flourished, reaching 7 Scottish cup finals in about 13 or so seasons , league titles & other various cups.

As I said earlier, too many people involved in running the social club , how can I put this , had 'sticky fingers' if you know what I mean , & with most of our great team getting on a bit , the money to replace them wasn't there anymore.

Then of course the Hoover workforce started dwindling over the years & the club went on a slippery slope & have never recovered.

I'd say the 'nose in the trough' people at the club who 'helped themselves' were mostly to blame , with the demise of the Hoover plant playing a significant part as well.

Over the years I've had one on one conversations with some of 'the culprits' involved in the social club & most of them have openly bragged about 'helping themselves'. Most of these people are dead now & some of the stories they told me are a disgrace to the club as a whole.

Great memories following the team in those days , but sadly I can't see us ever competing at the top again in my lifetime.

In the 60's & 70's we had a thriving social club (now 'sweepers') right next door to the Hoover plant , which employed about 5,000 people at its peak. many workers used the club straight after work & even before they're shifts (backshift & nightshift). Most of these people had club memberships because this was the only way you'd get in on Friday & Saturday nights as it was so busy. This was probably the main reason the team flourished, reaching 7 Scottish cup finals in about 13 or so seasons , league titles & other various cups.

As I said earlier, too many people involved in running the social club , how can I put this , had 'sticky fingers' if you know what I mean , & with most of our great team getting on a bit , the money to replace them wasn't there anymore.

Then of course the Hoover workforce started dwindling over the years & the club went on a slippery slope & have never recovered.

I'd say the 'nose in the trough' people at the club who 'helped themselves' were mostly to blame , with the demise of the Hoover plant playing a significant part as well.

Over the years I've had one on one conversations with some of 'the culprits' involved in the social club & most of them have openly bragged about 'helping themselves'. Most of these people are dead now & some of the stories they told me are a disgrace to the club as a whole.

Great memories following the team in those days , but sadly I can't see us ever competing at the top again in my lifetime.

Yeah,we have family friends who worked in the factory and I've heard the stories of guys lookin for a 'lumber' at the wee Gers club before they clocked-in for a night shift! :lol:

Sadly,the scum who fleeced your club weren't unique and a similar scenario contributed (allegedly :angry: ) to the demise of a club not a million miles from Cambuslang,

Incidentally,why did nothing positive emerge from the talks with Dawn Developments re 'new premises' for your club?

Yeah,we have family friends who worked in the factory and I've heard the stories of guys lookin for a 'lumber' at the wee Gers club before they clocked-in for a night shift! :lol:

Sadly,the scum who fleeced your club weren't unique and a similar scenario contributed (allegedly :angry: ) to the demise of a club not a million miles from Cambuslang,

Incidentally,why did nothing positive emerge from the talks with Dawn Developments re 'new premises' for your club?

Dawn Developments pulled the plug on the plans because of the 'credit crunch' that swept most of the world at the time , about 10years ago?

Apparently they had loads of houses & flats all over the country that they couldn't shift & decided to 'shelve' the Somervell project, which would've seen the football club relocate about 500 yards away at the bottom end of the old Hoover site , next to where the 'tradeteam' depot is.

Dougie (Lang) of this parish was club treasurer at the time ,if I remember correctly. He'll know more of the ins & outs.

Dawn Developments pulled the plug on the plans because of the 'credit crunch' that swept most of the world at the time , about 10years ago?

Apparently they had loads of houses & flats all over the country that they couldn't shift & decided to 'shelve' the Somervell project, which would've seen the football club relocate about 500 yards away at the bottom end of the old Hoover site , next to where the 'tradeteam' depot is.

Dougie (Lang) of this parish was club treasurer at the time ,if I remember correctly. He'll know more of the ins & outs.

Yeah,I thought that it was something along those lines.On the plus side though and based on the fairly recent experiences of Junior clubs who have seen their grounds acquired by housing 'development' mobs,it might not be the worst thing that's happened to Cambuslang. :)

Yeah,I thought that it was something along those lines.On the plus side though and based on the fairly recent experiences of Junior clubs who have seen their grounds acquired by housing 'development' mobs,it might not be the worst thing that's happened to Cambuslang. :)

Agree with that mate.

Personally, I was delighted when it didn't come off.

Archived