Canada

Ad Lib

22 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yes and public transport is reliable enough that it's easy enough to get around the city that way:

http://ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Passes/Weekly_pass.jsp

The only problem is it runs for a calendar week rather than a seven day period. Was in Toronto from Wednesday to Wednesday so it wasn't much use having a pass that ran from Monday to Sunday. Ended up planning things we couldn't walk to for the weekend as the family ticket covers two adults even if you aren't travelling with kids.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

The only problem is it runs for a calendar week rather than a seven day period. Was in Toronto from Wednesday to Wednesday so it wasn't much use having a pass that ran from Monday to Sunday. Ended up planning things we couldn't walk to for the weekend as the family ticket covers two adults even if you aren't travelling with kids.

Yes, sometimes on the TTC you have to get creative in order for it to make sense financially but the weekly pass should work for the OP as I believe he said he's in the T-dot Sunday-Sunday.

Montreal is a bit more versatile in that they have 3 day passes that you can use on 3 consecutive days

Ottawa is the worst as we don't have most of these products, although the day pass acting as a family pass on weekends.

6 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yes and public transport is reliable enough that it's easy enough to get around the city that way:

http://ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Passes/Weekly_pass.jsp

Lolz. 

16 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Is it possible to get a weekly pass for the public transport in Toronto?  

Consider buying a Presto card https://www.prestocard.ca/en/ You can buy them at Pearson Airport and use it to take the train from there to Union Station, you can also use it on all forms of public transit in the area, not just TTC. It can be topped up online and at various machines at subway stations etc

Niagara Falls, Ontario is bizarre.  The falls are amazing yet the area of Clifton Hill is dreadful - like Blackpool x100.  The rest of the town, such as where the bus station is, (which I assume is the old town) is dead.  A complete ghost town.

Nice park in Niagara Falls, New York.  Didn't venture into the town much though.

22 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Niagara Falls, Ontario is bizarre.  The falls are amazing yet the area of Clifton Hill is dreadful - like Blackpool x100.  The rest of the town, such as where the bus station is, (which I assume is the old town) is dead.  A complete ghost town.

Nice park in Niagara Falls, New York.  Didn't venture into the town much though.

It really isn't a great town, Niagara on the Lake is much nicer. What did you think of Toronto?

2 hours ago, Torpar said:

It really isn't a great town, Niagara on the Lake is much nicer. What did you think of Toronto?

Sadly I only went through Niagara On The Lake briefly on the bus.  Really liked Toronto though.  Getting around was dead easy and it was quite a nice city to walk around.

• 2 months later...

Finally got myself sorted out for Canada eTA passport etc so now I need a plan I'm thinking a day in Toronto wandering round and then get the train to Montreal 3/4 days there and then back to Toronto for 5 days I think. While I'm in Canada I'm keen to take in some American sports and also I see that Toronto's "soccer" team are at home while I'm there has anyone taken in a game as a tourist or do these things tend to sell out.

On 6/13/2018 at 17:36, Adam101 said:

Finally got myself sorted out for Canada eTA passport etc so now I need a plan I'm thinking a day in Toronto wandering round and then get the train to Montreal 3/4 days there and then back to Toronto for 5 days I think. While I'm in Canada I'm keen to take in some American sports and also I see that Toronto's "soccer" team are at home while I'm there has anyone taken in a game as a tourist or do these things tend to sell out.

TFC are usually pretty close to a sell-out so if you want to get a ticket get one early.  Depending on when you are coming over it should be easy to get Blue Jays and Argonauts tickets as well, Hockey games (either in Montreal or Toronto) are a lot harder to get and they may not be playing depending on when you are coming

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2018 at 16:41, Stu said:

Grand. Have booked with them for a trip there for a week in October. Will look back through the thread but any tips welcome.

I have flown with them a few times, mostly to the Caribbean and have never had a problem.  They are low frills and you don't get much in the way of leg room or seat width (their A330's are 9 abreast in economy) so if you are big and/or tall you might find a flight to Vancouver rough but if  you are a short guy like me then it should be fine. 

You may want to double check on their website but I believe you get a meal on the flight (because the Government of Canada mandates it for long flights).  Certainly don't expect free booze though

Edited by senorsoupe

• 2 weeks later...

Air Transat are fine. Taken them to both Vancouver and Toronto on multiple occasions and I've never had any problems.

Vancouver is one of my favourite cities anywhere. Especially in summer. Winter is just non-stop rain, although last winter was colder than usual. Grinds to a halt whenever there's snow.