Canada

Ad Lib

On 10/03/2023 at 10:17, Stu said:

Thanks for the advice - we're hopefully going to book Nova Scotia for September (as if we'd gone in May as planned a lot of places we wanted to go to would have been shut)/

Halifax, Lunenburg, Annapolis Royal, Wolfville, Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton is the plan. Lot to fit into 10 days but should be fun.

Couldn't remember if I posted before but seems I did. Head out three weeks on Monday. Fingers crossed Nova Scotia doesn't get hit by any more floods. Or wildfires. Or hurricanes. Not sure if they've had locusts yet....

On 21/08/2023 at 13:20, RuMoore said:

A lot closer to my trip now so just wondering if I'm missing anything obvious out. In Toronto for 4 days and so far on my list of things to do I've got CNN Tower, The islands, Hockey hall of fame, check out the markets (saw Anthony Bourdain trying out some peameal bacon I'd like to try) day trip to Niagra falls and checking out the by the lake town people have recommended, also just try some poutaine and enjoy some drinks and maybe a nice meal. 

First time going and open to all suggestions.

If the weather's nice, using the Bike Share to cycle along the lake to Etobicoke is a good way to spend a couple of hours. Having to check the bikes in every half an hour is slightly annoying, but it's easy to do and cheap. On your return, you can drop of the bikes and either stop off at the Amsterdam Brewhouse or one of the outdoor bars they have during the summer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/08/2023 at 12:36, Stu said:

Couldn't remember if I posted before but seems I did. Head out three weeks on Monday. Fingers crossed Nova Scotia doesn't get hit by any more floods. Or wildfires. Or hurricanes. Not sure if they've had locusts yet....

Which one of you lot didn't keep your fingers crossed? https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/lee-looking-more-likely-to-impact-maritimes-1.6962968

Hurricane will hit Sunday. We're due to fly into Nova Scotia via Toronto on Monday. Can't see a problem with the first flight but who knows after that - will depend what hasn't been blown away.

• 4 weeks later...

That's me leaving Canada after 4 days in Toronto in the morning. 

Loved the place. Loads to do and didn't feel as cramped or hectic as I thought it might, had a really relaxed atmosphere mostly and everyone was stereotypically friendly and welcoming. 

CN Tower was really cool, definitely the highest place I've been, was decent weather so had great views. Really enjoyed the Islands, would probably be my top recommendation for others visiting. As someone with zero knowledge on the sport i enjoyed the ice hockey hall of fame. The interactive stuff was really cool, scored a few shots and managed a few saves and got a compliment from a local on my first timer technique. Also St Lawrence Market was class, enjoyed my peameal bacon roll and even had a pre rolled joint cutting about Kensington Market which was pretty trippy, definitely a hippy hotbed. 

Spent a day at Niagra Falls and then Niagra on the Lake and can only echo what others have said on here, felt like the scene of a movie and some of the houses there and surrounding it are mesmerising. I shudder to think how much even the smaller houses cost. 

Only ever so slight negative was the prevalence of homeless people/crack heads sleeping on the pavements above the air vents. Saw a couple properly tweaking out and seemed quite a juxtaposition from the kinda progressive values the city seems to promote. 

Unsure if I'll ever make it back due to the cost of it all but if I had lots of money I'd come back regularly. 

10/10

9 hours ago, RuMoore said:

20231011_113124.jpg

20231010_114456.jpg

20231009_135246.jpg

20231010_104506.jpg

20231009_200347.jpg

20231011_200905.jpg

20231011_131611.jpg

20231011_105837.jpg

20231008_120450.jpg

20231011_130402.jpg

20231009_102158.jpg

20231009_142200.jpg

Glad you had a nice time mate, Toronto is very nice, but a real "sitting on the couch while your Auntie shows you her random holiday photos" feel to these. Report 8/10, photos 4/10

Edited by GHF-23

6 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Glad you had a nice time mate, Toronto is very nice, but a real "sitting on the couch while your Auntie shows you her random holiday photos" feel to these. Report 8/10, photos 4/10

Ahah cheers, I think.

What sort of photos would have bumped me up a few ratings? Off to NYC today so I'll make sure to hone my skills and upgrade from auntie to favourite cousin. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2023 at 21:46, RuMoore said:

That's me leaving Canada after 4 days in Toronto in the morning. 

Loved the place. Loads to do and didn't feel as cramped or hectic as I thought it might, had a really relaxed atmosphere mostly and everyone was stereotypically friendly and welcoming. 

CN Tower was really cool, definitely the highest place I've been, was decent weather so had great views. Really enjoyed the Islands, would probably be my top recommendation for others visiting. As someone with zero knowledge on the sport i enjoyed the ice hockey hall of fame. The interactive stuff was really cool, scored a few shots and managed a few saves and got a compliment from a local on my first timer technique. Also St Lawrence Market was class, enjoyed my peameal bacon roll and even had a pre rolled joint cutting about Kensington Market which was pretty trippy, definitely a hippy hotbed. 

Spent a day at Niagra Falls and then Niagra on the Lake and can only echo what others have said on here, felt like the scene of a movie and some of the houses there and surrounding it are mesmerising. I shudder to think how much even the smaller houses cost. 

Only ever so slight negative was the prevalence of homeless people/crack heads sleeping on the pavements above the air vents. Saw a couple properly tweaking out and seemed quite a juxtaposition from the kinda progressive values the city seems to promote. 

Unsure if I'll ever make it back due to the cost of it all but if I had lots of money I'd come back regularly. 

10/10

I know it's now February 2024 but just noticed this post, glad you enjoyed the city, great place to visit, not so much to live in these days! 

Homelessness, drug abuse and mental health are major issues in the city, the latter is horribly undertreated here, the subway "system" (all three line of it!) sometimes feels like one big mobile homeless shelter/mental health facility, it's also notoriously unreliable and become a bit more stabby recently. I avoid Yonge Street too if I can, just seems to attract all the worst people! 

On 12/10/2023 at 07:44, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Tbf, you can see my old apartment in the photo of the Muskoka chairs, so I did have a bit of nostalgia trip while browsing through them. For that reason I'll give them an 8/10.

Did you earn your millions or is it generational wealth?