Canada

Ad Lib

Tim Hortons opened today in Glasgow. Pretty long queues at time, imagine it'll die down after a few weeks.

From what I can remember the donuts were about a dollar in Canada. They start at £1.19 here! The coffee is the same which I don't think is too bad.

If you go in the next few days you can use a code on their Facebook page to get a free medium coffee/tea and donut :)

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Tim Hortons opened today in Glasgow. Pretty long queues at time, imagine it'll die down after a few weeks.

From what I can remember the donuts were about a dollar in Canada. They start at £1.19 here! The coffee is the same which I don't think is too bad.

If you go in the next few days you can use a code on their Facebook page to get a free medium coffee/tea and donut :)

Police Scotland must be shite if the company have to import their own security.

DBT5GROXgAEtK-j.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm moving to Canada in August this year with my girlfriend. I'm a dual national and she's going on a 2 year working holiday visa.

Never been before but very excited to see what it's all about. 2 week holiday (without the bird) first to California to see a friend who emigrated about 18 months ago. Then fly into Vancouver where I'll meet her and try find some work.

Mostly planning on staying in BC, so any 'must do' things in Vancouver or BC would be welcome.

• 7 months later...
Has anyone done Toronto->Niagara Falls->Buffalo and then back in a day?  I'm going to Toronto in March and fancy striking another American city off my list while I'm there, considering it's so close.

Toronto to Niagara doesn't take long, think about 45 minutes, but can't say how long border control and the drive to Buffalo would take

28 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

Toronto to Niagara doesn't take long, think about 45 minutes, but can't say how long border control and the drive to Buffalo would take

From what I understand, going from America into Canada is a doddle, the other direction is a different story.

On 1/19/2018 at 20:11, Highland Capital said:

Has anyone done Toronto->Niagara Falls->Buffalo and then back in a day?  I'm going to Toronto in March and fancy striking another American city off my list while I'm there, considering it's so close.

Skip the Buffalo part and just enjoy the Niagara peninsula.  Niagara falls itself is a tourist trap shitehole but the surrounding area is lovely with great wineries and great food.  You will have much more enjoyment visiting a winery than waiting in line at US customs.  

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

From what I understand, going from America into Canada is a doddle, the other direction is a different story.

This,

It can be quick and easy or it can take ages to get across, it really depends on the day, or on how much of an arsehole the US border guards feel like being on any given day.   If you are unlucky you will wait a few hours in line for the privilege of visiting erm... Buffalo NY?

17 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

This,

It can be quick and easy or it can take ages to get across, it really depends on the day, or on how much of an arsehole the US border guards feel like being on any given day.   If you are unlucky you will wait a few hours in line for the privilege of visiting erm... Buffalo NY?

A nice city?  I've visited America a couple times.  Never there though.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Not really. Been a couple of times for work related reasons. Many places to try to see first in the US before going there as a tourist as it's a bit of a dump overall as American cities go. Better to see Niagara  Falls from the Canadian side using Toronto as your base.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

No, 

granted I've not spent a lot of time there but first impressions were pretty poor.  I really don't think it's worth the effort of going through US customs if it's not necessary

1 minute ago, Highland Capital said:

Is it worse than Hamilton, Scotland?  Surely that can't be possible! :ph34r:

Never been to Hamilton, Scotland but some parts of Hamilton ON are pretty sketchy.  Avoid certain areas if you don't want to get addicted to meth from the fumes

Not as bad as the less salubrious parts of the original Hamilton and I am familiar with both. Canadians used to tell me how bad Hamilton, Ont was, but I could never see it having had more than a passing familiarity with areas like Bainsford and Govanhill over the years. You need to visit some of the hidden out of the way Indian Reserves to find something that could sensibly be described as deprivation in Canada because its a rich country in terms of natural resources and they have a reasonably strong welfare state unlike the Americans.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

• 2 weeks later...
No need to go to Buffalo for that, plenty of ghettos in Toronto to enjoy!

A few years back me and the wife were at a gig at the Phoenix Centre. For a change in scenery we decided to walk back to the hotel (Sheraton Centre) via Sherbourne Street. I’m not sure if that area has a reputation or not but it seemed like an episode of the Wire. Never bothered to go back in daylight to check it out again.