Donald Love Manchester United

Guest DAVIDB69

Couldn't care less if it's his parent/grandparent that's Scottish. If he's eligible and keen to play for Scotland then let's have a look at him.

As for the 'played a few games for Man U and gets in the Scotland squad' - fair enough. Worked with D Fletcher and with Jonny Evans for NI. Might not work for Love, but we're in a place where we need to try out replacements.

I didn't say I cared he was as English as they come being born and raised by English parents there and now working in England I was merely stating that he's very little Scottish.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy to accept ex-Hibs, English born, striker Steven Fletcher as he apparently "feels scottish". Refuses to accept Manchester United, English born right back who's turned down approaches from English youth sides to play for our youths.

Happy Hibee logic.

Happy to accept ex-Hibs, English born, striker Steven Fletcher as he apparently "feels scottish". Refuses to accept Manchester United, English born right back who's turned down approaches from English youth sides to play for our youths.

Happy Hibee logic.

Fletcher lived and was schooled in Scotland since the age of seven and one of his parents and half his family is Scottish.

Where did I refuse to accept the guy also?

Make up shit all you like though.

He's eligible so who cares if he feels Scottish or not. As with anyone, as long as he wants to play for Scotland and is good enough to, get him in the squad.

We haven't had a player play for one of the 'big' clubs in England for quite a while, so it's nice to have one.

Whether he turns out any good or ends up like another Michael Stewart or similar, we can only wait and see. Nothing to lose by getting him in the squad next month though.

For me, everything is pointing to this guy being utter garbage. He hasn't made it near the Man Utd team until he was 21, and even then it's only down to an injury crisis. I don't think he stood out at League 1 level with Wigan either.

Having said that, we're not exactly blessed with right-back options after Hutton. Whittaker is fine, but he's been struggling to get a game for Norwich this year, and is getting on a bit. I really like Callum Paterson, but it's difficult to know whether he's ready to be our first choice right-back yet. He's a tremendous athlete - but I'm not sure the rest of his game matches up quite yet.

Does it matter where he's born?

His middle name is Alistair.

It does matter. It matters more than anything else in the world. How many times has he been to Dingwall? What kind of accent does he have? How does he feel in his heart of hearts? Only once these essentials have been clarified in a three page puff piece in the Daily Record - and once Hamish Husband has passed judgement - can we tell whether he's truly Scottish. Also, he's not allowed to be black.

For me, everything is pointing to this guy being utter garbage. He hasn't made it near the Man Utd team until he was 21, and even then it's only down to an injury crisis. I don't think he stood out at League 1 level with Wigan either.

Having said that, we're not exactly blessed with right-back options after Hutton. Whittaker is fine, but he's been struggling to get a game for Norwich this year, and is getting on a bit. I really like Callum Paterson, but it's difficult to know whether he's ready to be our first choice right-back yet. He's a tremendous athlete - but I'm not sure the rest of his game matches up quite yet.

Warren Cummings we hardly knew ye.

Steven Fletcher was about 10 before he stepped foot in Scotland.

He's now our #1 striker.

That's incorrect. He moved permanently to Scotland after his old man passed but lived in Edinburgh for 3 years when he was 4 near Redford Barracks. He also lived in Germany. Although born near Liverpool I think he never had a proper home until he moved to Scotland and has always considered himself a Scottish Liverpool fan. ????

Not to drift away from the topic of this thread, but your examples beg the question: who is likely to see better career progress - a highly regarded young player getting regular games in the Scottish Premier at 18-20, or a fringe player at a top EPL side aged 21?

Most examples I can think of point towards the former.

I really hope we end up looking back at Love like "remember when he played a game and a half for Man Utd and everyone thought he was shite" as opposed to "remember that young Scottish right back that played a couple games for Man U, where is he now?"

As an aside, I would definitely look to blood Callum Paterson into the first team. Saw him play in the flesh for the first time recently and he was superb. Fantastic delivery on him.

Its scares me that Patersons considered the natural replacement for Hutton. Not sure why but he's never convinced me fully he's nearly good enough, and seems incredibly rash in the tackle too.

Archived