St. Johnstone v Motherwell

I think Tommy had noticed we were getting plenty of crosses opportunities on the left as the game wore on, and for all the weaknesses he has, Lappins the best crosser of a ball at the club while Sutton and Cummins are the best in the air.

In the Lappin v Craig debate, Im starting to think we're more likely to see Lappin kept on, he's contributed more this season.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's also decent highlights on Motherwell's YouTube page, though still no idea how they get away with that

Pretty sure the highlights on YouTube are recorded by the club with our camera which, presumably, means that we can publish them. Not sure how the rights issues work around that?

Not that I enjoyed watching them. ☹

Yip I'd go with that. Kyle and Saintsam will be gutted.

I prefer Craig aswell, tbh. I just cant see how you could justify it at the moment though. Think they have the same amount of goals/assists, but Lappin always seems to pop up at important moments.

Will we? I've said several times in pre-match threads that Lappin and Craig are on level pegging and I wouldn't know which the manager would choose. Two things go in Craig's favour for me - he's younger than Lappin and he's more consistent. You could argue that Lappin has made more crucial contributions and I wouldn't argue with that but when his level drops he becomes utterly rotten. Craig is far more consistent in his level. I think both are decent players to have around the team. We may keep neither.

Yep, I'm pretty gutted that Craig has come back and hasn't made the same impact as he did in his first spell. In a straight fight between him and Lappin, there's no doubt that Lappin has contributed more in terms of goals scored/created this season. When you're comparing two similar players with reasonably similar styles and strengths, you have to be fair and I'm starting to lean towards Lappin over Craig. The only argument in Craig's favour at the moment is his age really.

I don't think there's space for both in the squad personally. We have a limited budget, so we need to have a fairly varied squad, which we don't get with those two together.

I hate to say I told you so.....but I was against signing Craig.

Thought the signing made sense in the summer - we were desperate for goals from midfield and we were after a left winger/centre mid. He filled all those requirements. He's had a few decent games, but it seems we have moved on from the style that suited him so well.

That was dreadful, eye bleedingly bad stuff from both teams on what to be fair was an atrocious surface. Both teams struggled to string two passes together as the ball was lumped from one end to the other. The ball seemed to spend more time in the stands than on the pitch. Awful.

The two goals we lost were horrendous, proper pub league stuff. Nobody bothers to pick up or close down Wotherspoon who's allowed to saunter into the box at his own pace and have a pop at goal, Ripley then decides to actually move out the way of said shot that was pretty much straight at him. Hammell's defending for the 2nd goal was actually embarrassing. He wasn't goal side, he wasn't looking at the ball or the man he was meant to be marking, his body shapes all wrong and manages to get caught under the ball for good measure. Unacceptable for a player of his experience. Take it McGhee never picked him out post match and hung him out to dry in the same way he did Ainsworth?

Got exactly what we deserved though for showing absolutely no ambition in the 2nd half and there was an air of resignation in the away end as soon as the free kick was awarded. There was only ever going to be one outcome.

That was dreadful, eye bleedingly bad stuff from both teams on what to be fair was an atrocious surface. Both teams struggled to string two passes together as the ball was lumped from one end to the other. The ball seemed to spend more time in the stands than on the pitch. Awful.

The two goals we lost were horrendous, proper pub league stuff. Nobody bothers to pick up or close down Wotherspoon who's allowed to saunter into the box at his own pace and have a pop at goal, Ripley then decides to actually move out the way of said shot that was pretty much straight at him. Hammell's defending for the 2nd goal was actually embarrassing. He wasn't goal side, he wasn't looking at the ball or the man he was meant to be marking, his body shapes all wrong and manages to get caught under the ball for good measure. Unacceptable for a player of his experience. Take it McGhee never picked him out post match and hung him out to dry in the same way he did Ainsworth?

Got exactly what we deserved though for showing absolutely no ambition in the 2nd half and there was an air of resignation in the away end as soon as the free kick was awarded. There was only ever going to be one outcome.

Have you ever considered a career in motivational speaking?

I was a bit miffed with the players brought on to impact the game yesterday, but in the cold light of day Tommy got them spot on. Cummins competed much better with the centre backs and gave the midfield/defence an out ball, Sutton carried the fight and actually looked reasonably assured with his feet too. He also won the free kick for the second goal after a great little ball from Cummins. I'd argue that was his best performance for us so far. Lappin, the third sub who hadn't been on the park for more than a few minutes, put in a delicious ball for the winner. I was screaming for Swanson as he's the only player we had on the bench, Lappin perhaps aside, who could put his foot on the ball and control the game. Glad it wasn't my decision to make!

was Swanson carrying a knock? Seems very strange he wasn't involved. Tommys had a hard on for him for nearly a year, he plays him nearly all of the first two games when he wasn't really fit and boom he's completely dropped. Or maybe his name wasn't pulled out the hat when Tommy was picking the team.

Chris Kane must be absolutely shite in training if Sutton is getting on before him. By all accounts we tried to offload Sutton in January so seems very strange he comes on every week now

Have you ever considered a career in motivational speaking?

It was a pretty fair reflection of what took place however unpalatable that might have been. There's no point in dressing up a poor game. Very few plus points for us I'd say. Steelmen online MOTM vote returned a "null" vote and that says it all.

I wouldn't blame Ripley for the first goal. I thought Spoony did him superbly. He used the defender in Ripley's way to hide that he was shooting into the corner the keeper wouldn't have expected given where he was in the box. I'm sure Ripley would have been expecting any shot to be a curler into the far corner so was ready to cover that but Spoony caught him out brilliantly.

Archived