Big nations plans to exclude small nations from champions league

Guest DAVIDB69

So what do we assume the compromise to be? Top 5 leagues get their top 4 in to the group stages automatically with the 5th placed teams in a rejigged qualifying rounds, leaving the possibility of 12 other countries making the group stages. Or a complete make over.

Recently there was talk of a 3rd club competition for the smaller nations. It wouldn't surprise me to see to the introduction of something similar to the UEFA Nations League idea. Champions League for the top ranked nations, Europa League for mid-ranked nations, 3rd League for the bottom ranked. Hopefully a nation could rise up the coefficients to a higher grade but the coeffiecients will be skewed to benefit the status quo.

Oh you cynic, you!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll get the obvious remarks out the way first. Watching the likes of Lawwell and that bogbrush arsehole Doncaster pee their pants and start hopping on aircraft to the continent is hugely entertaining.

Yes lads, European competition will miss your talents. Completely and utterly outmatched while you're too busy fucking about at home trying to keep four games a season alive long enough that some broadcaster, somewhere might give a shit.

The Record went running to the usual suspects and *presto* the ghost of the Atlantic League is wheeled out again. Yeah, Celtic versus Ajax, that's a barnburner. And how long before teams that scuttle off to such a league start whining - again - about not getting a shot at the likes of Barca every few weeks. After all, don't we know who they are?

I'd happily hold the door open. Off they go. Fucking poison the whole lot.

Warburton's intervention on behalf of Rangers lacks credibility. I agree with his sentiment, but he manages a club who put a presentation forward to be parachuted directly into the top flight, based on being a 'big' team.

Lets not kid ourself here... Celtic and (an impressively optimistic) Rangers are against this idea because they happen to fall below the envisaged glass ceiling, instead of above it. Not because they're fundamentally opposed to ideas of big clubs doing things that advantage big clubs.

For what it's worth I don't imagine this idea will actually come about but it will no doubt be a negotiating ploy from the big handful of leagues and/or the big clubs, in the hope of getting what they actually want. Who knows what that actually includes, but I would guess they want more slots - perhaps 5 or 6 instead of 4 - or maybe a guarantee to get no fewer then 4 slots: as we know, England and Italy are in a battle the loser of which will only get 3 slots. Potentially they may also want a change to the seeding and draw systems, to their advantage of course, and remixing all the qualifying rounds instead of having dedicated "Champions" and "Non-Champions" pathways. I'd be against that as it advantages the few over the many, but it may well happen.

I think a legitimate question is why this is being pushed by the head of the European Clubs Association. Although it is an elitist body in itself, it's not an organisation representing only the biggest clubs - like the 'G20' was - but 200-odd clubs... This proposal from their chairman would shaft most of them.

That's what I don't. Like about them, I'm not against seeding if its done fairly but this five year average is designed to suit the bigger clubs. Barcelona can have a howler and go out in the group stage without it affecting their seeding whereas Malmo could win it and they'd still be pot 4 next year

The holders are always in Pot 1.

The amusing thing about this is its actually Lawwell and Celtics wet dream...

Just they happen to be on the wrong side of the glass.

I've actually heard Celtic fans berating top European clubs for wanting to hoard wealth for the few and screw the rest.

Hmmmm... Now does nt that sound at all familiar lhads

Guest DAVIDB69

Do think man united will be heavily behind this somewhere .

For years the champions league qualifiers were always man united , Arsenal , Chelsea, Liverpool .

Then Liverpool stopped qualifying and were replaced by man city who generally don't do much in Europe .

Now there's a chance man united will be out of the champions league for second tine in three seasons and maybe out of Europe completely .

Pretty sure man united become a pot three team next time in the champions league which they won't be happy about

Chelsea won't qualify unless they will the champions league which is unlikely .

Now Spurs and Leicester are in the equation .

If Spurs and Leicester qualify for the champions league next season as likely and do poorly and England gets cut to three that would be the point the toys would get thrown out the Pram I suspect in England as a whole

Random thoughts.............................

The wants of TV will surely take over in Europe as it has in England...and Scotland for that matter. How many top games actually go ahead at 3.00pm on a Saturday now? CL qualification games in July are a farce but as the non-elite sides are the only ones involved, it's seen as OK. Tough shit for the sides who have players involved in the Euros and World Cups every two years and whose guys are expected to have no break whatsoever.

We now have a situation where no domestic cup finals are allowed on the same weekend as the Champions League final, and no domestic games can be televised midweek in competition to the Champions League, as happened last week. Did anyone compensate Hibs & Hearts for their match not being on the box? I think not.

Give it about ten years and anyone outside the elite clubs will have had the bum's rush from the top competition, one way or another. Barca could have a shite season every year from now until then and will still be in the top competition as they are a TV draw.

President of Barca has backed the idea of "wildcards" in the Champions Leagues, basically a safety next for "big" clubs who don't qualifying - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35640050

Sounds like an awful idea.

One man's awful idea, another man's "blueprint for the future".

Random thoughts.............................

The wants of TV will surely take over in Europe as it has in England...and Scotland for that matter. How many top games actually go ahead at 3.00pm on a Saturday now? CL qualification games in July are a farce but as the non-elite sides are the only ones involved, it's seen as OK. Tough shit for the sides who have players involved in the Euros and World Cups every two years and whose guys are expected to have no break whatsoever.

The sort of dross that compete in the CL in July are highly unlikely to have players regularly competing in international tournaments.

But the shire isn't a hotbed of talent..

And even London..

Spurs

Arsenal

West Ham

Palace

are arguably better at the moment.

And Porto pisses all over Chelsea in European terms in the last 20 imo, they are most definitely a 'lightweight'.

Eta 'clyde' that's it explained. It either was that or a junior club.

The sort of dross that compete in the CL in July are highly unlikely to have players regularly competing in international tournaments.

Aye, maybe in times past....but look who's playing in this year's Euros and they're talking about moving to a 40-team World Cup. Bound to be a good number of guys who will be expected to pull the boots on again for the CL in July.

With rumours of the Euro super league doing the rounds again it poses an interesting conundrum from the EPL's top clubs. Right now the English league dominates financially worldwide, as such none of the English clubs would be interested in a superleague format with the top clubs from the other main countries. However if they bit the bullet and the other top clubs did form a league, would it be more popular worldwide than the EPL? Would it become the richest league and would the top English cliubs still be welcome?

I've always thought a superleague was inevitable and just a matter of time, but it's never actually come any closer to happening. Could the disparity in TV money between EPL and other European leagues be the catalyst?

I think the solution, or maybe compromise as a better word, will be that the big leagues will get the number of CL entrants increased. ie at the moment the top 3 league have 4 teams, then the next 3 have 3 (which could see England losing a place if they drop to 4th).

It'll get changed to something like the top 3/4 leagues getting 6 entrants or something.

Say what you like about Platini, but he wouldn't have been allowing this.

Archived