General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Giving Corbyn the benefit of the doubt here, I reckon if he'd given the mural more than a cursory glance he'd have seen it's the wrong side of the anti Semitism/Zionism line and not had to backtrack.

I see Corbyn is being attacked today by Jewish groups once again promoting the pernicious lie that anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism are effectively the same thing.  If we are going to fight and expose anti-Semitism in our society this sort of continually repeated pro-Israeli nonsense does not help at all.

IMG_5714.jpg

17 minutes ago, btb said:

Giving Corbyn the benefit of the doubt here, I reckon if he'd given the mural more than a cursory glance he'd have seen it's the wrong side of the anti Semitism/Zionism line and not had to backtrack.

See point 3 above.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Presumably you meant "attacked today by zionist groups" 

But it's an easy mistake to make

The statements came from the Board of Deputies of British Jews and the Jewish Leadership Council.  Am I wrong to describe them as “Jewish groups”?  No I didn’t think so.

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

It's nothing to do with anti-Zionism, it's to do with Corbyn being in Facebook groups with multiple anti-Semites and giving his support of an anti-Semitic mural.

I am talking about the statement from the groups referenced above.  If you had taken the time to read it you would not have posted that.  Then again if you’re not interested in accuracy you may have posted it anyway.

I think anti-Semitism should be opposed.  I don’t think continually claiming anti-Zionism is heavily linked to anti-Semitism helps in such opposition.

4 hours ago, Paco said:

Still fabricated to cover up Brexit, IMO.

Maybe or then again the EU making the point that when Britain does things together with the EU it is taken seriously and when it tries to separate itself from the EU it looks like a complete prat.

Granny is correct tbf. The idea that if you think the Israeli government is bunch of right old ****s means you also long for a second holocaust is fairly insidious these days.

Aye I've just seen this story on the news and I'm not convinced this isn't being exaggerated for political purposes.

The guy screeching at Livingstone last year (or whenever) was just an absolute cretin and the mural is more subtle than is being made out.

There is a sad parallel between the Israeli population with regards to Palestine and the population of the USA and gun control.

There are probably a majority in both countries that oppose current policy but are thwarted by wealthy, influential and well organised hard-liners.

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Aye I've just seen this story on the news and I'm not convinced this isn't being exaggerated for political purposes.

The guy screeching at Livingstone last year (or whenever) was just an absolute cretin and the mural is more subtle than is being made out.

Eh? The artist admitted what he was doing directly.

Eh? The artist admitted what he was doing directly.

I'm not denying that it is - but I still think it's subtle, and can absolutely see how corbyn could defend the free speech element if he wasn't paying full attention.

It's obviously nowhere near the anti Semitic material produced by the nazis.

Now I definitely don't consider it neutral.

Would it be neutral if a non Jew wrote it?

Perhaps we should get white guys to draw up a list for black women of what is and isn’t sexist and racist.

For neutrality purposes, of course.

Would it be neutral if a non Jew wrote it?

Perhaps we should get white guys to draw up a list for black women of what is and isn’t sexist and racist.

For neutrality purposes, of course.

It depends on whether David Schneider was a known opponent of corbyn or not.

My instinct of the whole thing is that the topic is being used as a stick to beat the left wing element which is now in charge of the party.

Do you think Jeremy corbyn is anti Semitic?