General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

New Statesman bar Stephen Bush are further to the right than the SNP members listed I would say. It’s funny on Twitter because your best analysis comes from people who have names like “Stalin Smokes Weed” or “Leon Thotsky”.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

New Statesman bar Stephen Bush are further to the right than the SNP members listed I would say. 

I genuinely feel sorry for Stephen Bush having to work with the likes of Helen Lewis on a daily basis. He doesn't deserve that. 

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

They do a podcast together. That knowledge hurts my soul.

I chucked it as a regular listen a while ago because of Lewis, although checked out the odd episode for Bush's input. Anoosh Chakelian appears to have replaced Lewis in the couple of episodes I have listened to lately, so I might be able to go back to being a regular now.

I chucked it as a regular listen a while ago because of Lewis, although checked out the odd episode for Bush's input. Anoosh Chakelian appears to have replaced Lewis in the couple of episodes I have listened to lately, so I might be able to go back to being a regular now.

That’s good. I might give it a go as my politics podcasts are overwhelmingly American (Chapo, Jacobin, Rev Left etc)

The USA and several EU countries (so far Germany, France, Poland, Lithuania and Latvia) appear to be launching a coordinated expulsion of Russian diplomats. 60 from the US alone.

Edit: 14 EU states expelling diplomats, apparently. Quite the coup for the British government, I’d have thought.

Edited by Sooky

28 minutes ago, Sooky said:

The USA and several EU countries (so far Germany, France, Poland, Lithuania and Latvia) appear to be launching a coordinated explosion of Russian diplomats. 60 from the US alone.

Edit: 14 EU states expelling diplomats, apparently. Quite the coup for the British government, I’d have thought.

I don't think Putin will stand for the blowing up of his diplomats.

I see Corbyn is being attacked today by Jewish groups once again promoting the pernicious lie that anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism are effectively the same thing.  If we are going to fight and expose anti-Semitism in our society this sort of continually repeated pro-Israeli nonsense does not help at all.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I see Corbyn is being attacked today by Jewish groups once again promoting the pernicious lie that anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism are effectively the same thing.  If we are going to fight and expose anti-Semitism in our society this sort of continually repeated pro-Israeli nonsense does not help at all.

Presumably you meant "attacked today by zionist groups" 

But it's an easy mistake to make

It's nothing to do with anti-Zionism, it's to do with Corbyn being in Facebook groups with multiple anti-Semites and giving his support of an anti-Semitic mural.

There’s always been that undercurrent of dodgy Islamophobia and anti-Semitism. It would be good if we could have a popular left wing movement that didn’t have dodgy hingers on like Ken Livingstone or the SWP.