General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

10 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I presumed Robertson would step down immediately after he lost his seat in June. I like him, but it's probably best that the deputy leader be an elected representative at some level. 

Impossible position for him to be in, especially with Ian Blackford making an arse of his old job.

Perhaps the way is now clear for him to lead the indyref2 campaign. Good orator, well respected, multilingual and knows the innerworkings of Westminster, and of course he is english and can't be accused of hating himself either.

Indeed. So respected in fact that his local electorate showed him the door.

40 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

Moray is a very strange outlier. Wait to see the tariffs on fish and agricultural products to the EU, and short staffing at hotels, restaurants and pubs. And RAF Lossiemouth gets closed down.

Edited by welshbairn

Ahh, the yoonion vote, the anybody but SNP vote, the MOD and white settler, little Englander vote. The moray Tory voting electorate deserve all they get from their referee, the man who used the WASPI women for photo ops during the election, promising to fight their corner, then shat on them.

4 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

Ahh, the yoonion vote, the anybody but SNP vote, the MOD and white settler, little Englander vote. The moray Tory voting electorate deserve all they get from their referee, the man who used the WASPI women for photo ops during the election, promising to fight their corner, then shat on them.

There was always going to be a reaction to winning 54 seats the previous time around.  Sadly there were some casualties of this.

Robertson was well liked and respected amongst his SNP peers however he was ‘old SNP’ in my books.  When. We retake the constituency I hope it is with a more radical MP.

The fact that we can still attract such a high level of support after all these years in charge of Scotland shows the real respect for the SNP and what it stands for.

There was always going to be a reaction to winning 54 seats the previous time around.  Sadly there were some casualties of this.
Robertson was well liked and respected amongst his SNP peers however he was ‘old SNP’ in my books.  When. We retake the constituency I hope it is with a more radical MP.
The fact that we can still attract such a high level of support after all these years in charge of Scotland shows the real respect for the SNP and what it stands for.

Agreed that the result of 2015 could never reasonably be repeated, and I think we will find that more radical policies will be being rolled out by the SNP shortly in response to the current Westminster omnishambles, and to show the real differences between what we've got and what we could have.

Last year's election was also the Unionists chance to have their day. Much like many who voted Yes obviously voted SNP in 2015 bringing in the 56 SNP MPs. There was likely to be tactical voting and SNP losses, and whilst the SNP still won, I think many SNP supporters didn't quite think it would be 21 lost seats.  

The good news is that the polls are now consistently showing the Tories down in to third sport. Hopefully some who may well have voted Tory and now seeing what an amateur, shite bunch most of their Scots members of parliament are - first prize to Kirstene Hair for being the worst.

I liked Robertson and he will be missed, but if there is to be an Indyref 2 you would hope he would be a vital part of it - either in the background, he did co-ordinate some of the most successful campaigns of the SNP ; or as a prominent leader/spokesperson for a Yes campaign. Ultimately though the leader probably should be an elected member of parliament.  

It'll be interesting to see who puts themselves forward for this. I take it the leader will be announced at the summer conference? 

2 hours ago, bob the tank said:

Agreed that the result of 2015 could never reasonably be repeated, and I think we will find that more radical policies will be being rolled out by the SNP shortly in response to the current Westminster omnishambles, and to show the real differences between what we've got and what we could have.

One of the better things about losing many seats was that it seems to have shaken the SNP in to action a bit. They were always trying to balance between ex-Lab voters in the central belt and the tartan teuchters in the 'Heartlands' by being bang in the middle.

The SNP have been pretty impressive since the election 'loss' - where they did win more seats than all the unionist parties put together. They certainly  have cracked on with things : the domestic abuse law, the income tax changes thanks to the Greens passing the budget,and land reform are big winners, IMO; and if they lose a few Brexit fisherman in Banff for the sake of a better nation overall and more progressive agenda then so be it! 

It'll be interesting to see how the next election goes in the likes of Angus, Banff, Gordon, etc as the Tory majorities in many are pretty thin 1-2k - and a possible incoming Brexshit hitting the fan and how these newly elected MPs deal with the quota Kings of the North Sea.

Edited by Kejan

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:40, Granny Danger said:

I really hope we don't.  We certainly won't in Moray. 

The SNP is rightly a broad church.  If we lurch to far to the "radical" side, we will lose a big chunk of support.

Rees-Mogg's violent bodyguard turns out to have a penchant for dressing as a Nazi.

Not cool but with the politics of England being so skewed to the right, this may actually stand ReesMogg in good stead.

https://evolvepolitics.com/jacob-rees-moggs-scuffle-bodyguard-exposed-partying-nazi-uniform/