General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Just now, welshbairn said:

I was surprised that North Korea has 24 million poor souls. Maybe we could give them the nukes, at least they might use the things, doubt we ever would.

:lol::lol:

Right, I posted about the possibility of referendums in an independent Scotland and we have had several pages for and against.
We should now wait until the day after independence then send a link (P&B political forum) tae the Scottish government.
They can then take it from there.
And we should expect a few thanks.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What, they've bombed Glasgow! Right, we'll destroy Moscow and you can destroy Washington and we'll call it quits. Any actual nuclear conflict is too bizarre to think about rationally, the whole point is deterrence which is ridiculed as a concept because it has actually worked. 

Interesting points. I think there are a whole load of folk who are a bit uncomfortable with the whole unilateral disarmament bit that was pushed by the yes camp in 2014.

R u proposing we somehow keep a share in trident when Scotland is independent? I thought we couldn't fire them without Americas permission anyway and that it was never an independent nuclear deterrent.

Is this a matter that should be decided by one of "wee willies" referendums?

3 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

:lol::lol:

Right, I posted about the possibility of referendums in an independent Scotland and we have had several pages for and against.
We should now wait until the day after independence then send a link (P&B political forum) tae the Scottish government.
They can then take it from there.
And we should expect a few thanks.

The day after independence, that will be akin to the day after tomorrow. Never can or will come.

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What, they've bombed Glasgow! Right, we'll destroy Moscow and you can destroy Washington and we'll call it quits. Any actual nuclear conflict is too bizarre to think about rationally, the whole point is deterrence which is ridiculed as a concept because it has actually worked. 

The good sense of one Russian submarine captain in 1962 did more to avert a nuclear war than any "deterrent" did.

The other two captains were not deterred.

26 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Interesting points. I think there are a whole load of folk who are a bit uncomfortable with the whole unilateral disarmament bit that was pushed by the yes camp in 2014.

R u proposing we somehow keep a share in trident when Scotland is independent? I thought we couldn't fire them without Americas permission anyway and that it was never an independent nuclear deterrent.

Is this a matter that should be decided by one of "wee willies" referendums?

Apparently it's a myth that we can't fire them, they're physically entirely in our control if not diplomatically, but the politics wouldn't matter if it got to that stage. My opinion is we should get rid of them, but I don't think it's an easy or clear cut decision, practically or morally. Despite being basically against wee willie's referendums, it would make a more powerful global message for nuclear disarmament if we decided by means of a referendum. Maybe even a virtue signal. ;)

Edited by welshbairn

Personally, I want to get rid as well.

However  the whole trident problem and the britnats big stick, could be nullified, if rather than being all CND, the yes camp pledged to hold a referendum within 5 years of independence.

There is leverage potential here. If we were to agree to lease the base out, even on a temporary basis. We would have rUK nuts in a vice. They would have to splash the cash fast in Devonport (or more likely West Wales).

I'm sure on our disarmament we would also be due an asset share for our part owned submarines and systems also.8)

18 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Personally, I want to get rid as well.

However  the whole trident problem and the britnats big stick, could be nullified, if rather than being all CND, the yes camp pledged to hold a referendum within 5 years of independence.

There is leverage potential here. If we were to agree to lease the base out, even on a temporary basis. We would have rUK nuts in a vice. They would have to splash the cash fast in Devonport (or more likely West Wales).

I'm sure on our disarmament we would also be due an asset share for our part owned submarines and systems also.8)

Totally agree, more leverage versus the rUK than Russia if we handle it right. :)

9 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

And her(e) comes an idiot to try and ruin a good discussion.

There's always one

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Apparently it's a myth that we can't fire them, they're physically entirely in our control if not diplomatically, but the politics wouldn't matter if it got to that stage. My opinion is we should get rid of them, but I don't think it's an easy or clear cut decision, practically or morally. Despite being basically against wee willie's referendums, it would make a more powerful global message for nuclear disarmament if we decided by means of a referendum. Maybe even a virtue signal. ;)

Despite being basically against wee willie's referendums
I re-iterate.
I'm talking about Scotland post Independence and no about the UK.

if we decided by means of a referendum
So ye think Trident would make a good issue for a referendum.
I would also suggest that the other points I made would be equally as good.

I hope that when Scotland is independent then we have lots of referendums like the Swiss do.
In a nation of 5m a referendum is a tidy way of getting the electors thoughts/wishes.

1. Do you want Trident in Scotland y/n

2. Do ye want our armed forces tae go half-way round the world tae bomb somebody y/n
(On reflection I'm guessing that widnae need tae be asked)

3. Dae ye want us tae bide in the EU y/n
4. Dae ye want us tae leave the EU y/n
(A one off answer)

5. Dae ye want us tae keep the monarchy y/n

and so on...

That's down tae three referendums.
I'm sure we could cope with that.

Read that. It looks like he is making specific (or at least, general) points about SNP economic policy, while their response is personal attacks on him.

I don't know enough about Scottish politics but I'd have thought the SNP might defend their own policies rather than just hiding behind "Labour's not relevant" rhetoric.

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Whit dae ye mean?
What on earth is the way I vote got tae dae with referendums.
What I want is for the people of Scotland to decide the big issues.
Whether they agree with me or no isnae the argument.
If they decided tae keep the monarchy and Trident then so be it.
I widnae be chuffed but that's democracy in action.

Read that. It looks like he is making specific (or at least, general) points about SNP economic policy, while their response is personal attacks on him.

I don't know enough about Scottish politics but I'd have thought the SNP might defend their own policies rather than just hiding behind "Labour's not relevant" rhetoric.

They've got a branch manager up here who they can defend their own policies to.
That clown would be better served staying in London and sorting his own policies out.