General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

16 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The security services have  veto powers over appointments and what's shown. Tom Mills wrote a book about the BBC that discusses it called The BBC: The Myth of a Public Service. Would definitely recommend it.

Room 101's a real thing, at least it was, a permanent office in Broadcasting house for MI5 vetting. Some poor sod couldn't understand why producers kept offering him jobs only to be told later that the position had been taken. It took 20/30 years before he found out it was due to faulty records, or willfully misinterpreted . He was briefly picked up in Holland because he looked a bit like one of the beardy Bader Meinhoff guys on a poster. Proved who he was and was let go.

Edited by welshbairn

There's lots wrong about Wikileaks but it's incredibly useful for quick information so long as you take it with a pinch of salt before checking sources. I thought there would have been a more rigorous arbitration process to weed out the likes of Cross/Kamm. If someone tells a blatant lie about you it's supposed be very difficult to get it removed as you aren't allowed to edit or comment on your own page.
Yeah I'm still going to use it...obviously.

Unless anyone has any other free encyclopaedia sites that are a bit less riddled with right wingness?

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Yeah I'm still going to use it...obviously.

Unless anyone has any other free encyclopaedia sites that are a bit less riddled with right wingness?

Just PM me with any question and I will give you the facts.

Actually they won’t be facts but just my opinion; however post Trump that seems to be acceptable.

#alternativefacts

:(:bairn

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its not just the CIA, there are several high ranking BBC presenters who are alleged to have either worked for the security services or indebted to them, Andrew Marr being one of them.

Not surprised in the slightest.  You'd have to be daft to think that doesn't go on.  Marr is just an establishment lackey he's not a journalist.

8 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

Seen a few tweets over the past half an hour but can't see any of the MSM running with it 

Sounds like 2 or 3 brexiteers trying to show their staunchness to their constituencies, but they have been reported in the much maligned MSM.

mon.thumb.JPG.aab1aec7dd6e2a2347cb3a1674e1db9d.JPG

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Sounds like 2 or 3 brexiteers trying to show their staunchness to their constituencies, but they have been reported in the much maligned MSM.

mon.thumb.JPG.aab1aec7dd6e2a2347cb3a1674e1db9d.JPG

Aye fair enough then - couldn't see it on The Guardian or BBC last night.

A snap election would be the last thing that the Tories want at this stage 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/22/benefit-sanctions-found-to-be-ineffective-and-damaging?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Benefit sanctions found to be ineffective and damaging

Study concludes that punishing claimants triggers profoundly negative outcomes

Well duh, but nothing will be done because the poor must be punished somehow.

Anither Scots Tory cooncillor in racism shocker. Only one paper does a guid job wi finding them, and is still the bane of jokes on Twitter...

2 hours ago, Sunrise said:

Anither Scots Tory cooncillor in racism shocker. Only one paper does a guid job wi finding them, and is still the bane of jokes on Twitter...

That’s fucking shocking.  Imagine being suspended from the Conservative Party for being a racist.  What’s the world coming to?