General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

This the same Jamie Oliver who runs a bunch of restaurants which have been shown to have ridiculous quantities of salt and sugar in their meals?

6 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I don’t know if it’s about affordability so much as education and time management. It’s much easier to access and make cheap processed shite than preparing a healthier meal.

I personally teach pupils whose parents will often get their kids a Happy Meal for dinner as it has no preparation time, and therefore they can work an extra half-hour / hour and get more wages.

People who bleat about how healthy food is cheaper than processed food never, ever factor in the opportunity cost of production.

40 minutes ago, RiG said:

This the same Jamie Oliver who runs a bunch of restaurants which have been shown to have ridiculous quantities of salt and sugar in their meals?

The same restaurants where adults can make an informed decision unlike children who don't really get a say in what they are given to eat?

40 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I personally teach pupils whose parents will often get their kids a Happy Meal for dinner as it has no preparation time, and therefore they can work an extra half-hour / hour and get more wages.

People who bleat about how healthy food is cheaper than processed food never, ever factor in the opportunity cost of production.

A few anecdotes don't really prove that the point isn't valid though. 

'Healthy' food is very cheap. You can get a whole bag of carrots for 45p for example. Onions are about 11p each. A pack of 3 peppers is about 99p. You can get a pack of 2 chicken breasts for £2. A pack of prawns is about £2. Mince is fairly cheap as well.
I think it's a total myth that eating healthily is more expensive, much the like much vaunted 'bottled water is more expensive than beer!' nonsense. 

Next time you see prawns for £2 buy me 20 packets and I'll come and get them from you [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

The misconception that eating healthy is expensive, really does my tits in.

Can make a meal for 4 in about 10 minutes, for about £2, without feeding absolute shite.

Bag of pasta - 50p

Tin of tomatoes - 20p

1 x Red Pepper - 30p

1 onion - 10p

Garlic bread 30p

Bag of mixed salad leaves 70p

Throw in chicken/prawn etc for an extra couple of quid.

That's a shite pasta meal though tbf.

Pasta -£1

Tomatoes - 50p-£1

Tomato Puree - 50p

Garlic - 30p

Salt/Pepper/Oregano/Chilli flakes - looking at about £3-4 (they will last a while though)

Parmesan £3

Basil £1

Bacon £2.50

Good Olive Oil - £5-10

You’re missing the point, it’s myth to say eating healthy compared to junk food is considerably more expensive. I very much doubt the people complaining about the price of healthy food, compared to frozen pizza etc, are going to be shelling out £10 on a bottle of olive oil.

A banana is cheaper than a mars bar and you can get rapeseed oil in Lidl for about £3. Also, you shouldn't be using too much of it anyway.

If you are careful and  buy the veg which is reduced then make it into a soup for the freezer it would be incredibly cheap to live (on soup).

Of course that requires effort and some folk simply can't be arsed. 

Food shouldn't just be used as fuel, it should be something that you actually enjoy. A lot of people can't/wont cook, but saying live off reduced price veg soup isn't the answer. The 'healthy' food solutions in here suggest using the blandest/cheapest ingredients available. A 50p bag of carrots have no flavour. If you roast them with some other stuff to introduce some flavour it's a bit better, but still. 

Well yeah, they've often got a lot of salt and other flavourings which is what you're competing against. To make a decent meal with fresh stuff can be quite expensive and time consuming. 

Why are prepared supermarket meals any worse for you than cooking from scratch? I'm talking M&S more than Iceland, they're disgusting.
Full of salt and other preservatives and e numbers also considerably more expensive.

It's extremely easy to make a tasty meal for about £1 a head.

Pack of chicken £3.33.
Bag of new baby potatoes £1
Broccoli 50p
Carrots 50p
Some sort of sauce £1.

Feed a family of 5 there for about £1.25 a head.

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Full of salt and other preservatives and e numbers also considerably more expensive.

It's extremely easy to make a tasty meal for about £1 a head.

Pack of chicken £3.33.
Bag of new baby potatoes £1
Broccoli 50p
Carrots 50p
Some sort of sauce £1.

Feed a family of 5 there for about £1.25 a head.

That's the entree sorted, what about the main course?