General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I hope the Nicola Sturgeon / Jamie Oliver photo I’ve seen was photoshopped. Meeting up with that p***k for.

Strongly disagreed with the minimum unit pricing and strongly disagree on making junk food more expensive. Need to change mindsets not just make things dearer.

I left school 10 year ago without even understanding how you put on/lost weight, never knew what a calorie was. How about starting there.

I hope the Nicola Sturgeon / Jamie Oliver photo I’ve seen was photoshopped. Meeting up with that p***k for.

Strongly disagreed with the minimum unit pricing and strongly disagree on making junk food more expensive. Need to change mindsets not just make things dearer.

I left school 10 year ago without even understanding how you put on/lost weight, never knew what a calorie was. How about starting there.
Schools have tonnes of stuff about healthy eating and drinking but it seems to make very little difference.

Price rises can be annoying but they work. Percentages of a difference.

Jamie Oliver can also be annoying - but he's generally spot on with his campaigns. Fair play to him for actually doing something.

Schools have tonnes of stuff about healthy eating and drinking but it seems to make very little difference.

Price rises can be annoying but they work. Percentages of a difference.

Jamie Oliver can also be annoying - but he's generally spot on with his campaigns. Fair play to him for actually doing something.

What about making healthy food cheaper then to cancel it out? It’s a total pain in the arse.

And schools had tonnes of stuff when I was there, posters etc, but not once did we ever have a class where we were taught about calories or what is and isn’t healthy.

How are Jamie Oliver’s campaigns spot on?

'Healthy' food is very cheap. You can get a whole bag of carrots for 45p for example. Onions are about 11p each. A pack of 3 peppers is about 99p. You can get a pack of 2 chicken breasts for £2. A pack of prawns is about £2. Mince is fairly cheap as well.

I think it's a total myth that eating healthily is more expensive, much the like much vaunted 'bottled water is more expensive than beer!' nonsense. 

What about making healthy food cheaper then to cancel it out? It’s a total pain in the arse.

And schools had tonnes of stuff when I was there, posters etc, but not once did we ever have a class where we were taught about calories or what is and isn’t healthy.

How are Jamie Oliver’s campaigns spot on?

Did you do HE at school? I only did it for S1 and S2 but there was a lot about healthy eating and nutrition in that. I think PE these days teaches nutrition now as well, though they didn't when I was at school.

Did you do HE at school? I only did it for S1 and S2 but there was a lot about healthy eating and nutrition in that. I think PE these days teaches nutrition now as well, though they didn't when I was at school.

Yeah I did HE. Made a few toasties, a bowl of egg fried rice and sewed a few things but never taught about any of that. I did PE and never taught about anything like that. Maybe higher PE did though who knows.

I just do not think making things more expensive is a good way of dealing with a problem, it’s not overly expensive to stop anyone with genuine eating or drinking problems either and just acts as an inconvenience to everyone else.

Yeah I did HE. Made a few toasties, a bowl of egg fried rice and sewed a few things but never taught about any of that. I did PE and never taught about anything like that. Maybe higher PE did though who knows.

I just do not think making things more expensive is a good way of dealing with a problem, it’s not overly expensive to stop anyone with genuine eating or drinking problems either and just acts as an inconvenience to everyone else.

I don't disagree, I think making things more expensive is a regressive move that impacts the worst off disproportionately, but I think it's wrong to say there aren't other factors going into healthy eating. Calorie levels are easily accessible, packaging is far clearer as to sugar levels than it was a few years ago, education is improving and healthy eating is on the radar to an extent I'm not sure I've seen before. I think there's more that could be done, particularly with regards to exercise (gym memberships, swimming pool memberships etc are very expensive which makes the most accessible way to regularly exercise out of reach to many) and I agree that making unhealthy things more expensive isn't the route to go down but I don't think education on healthy eating is in a bad state personally.

'Healthy' food is very cheap. You can get a whole bag of carrots for 45p for example. Onions are about 11p each. A pack of 3 peppers is about 99p. You can get a pack of 2 chicken breasts for £2. A pack of prawns is about £2. Mince is fairly cheap as well.
I think it's a total myth that eating healthily is more expensive, much the like much vaunted 'bottled water is more expensive than beer!' nonsense. 

I don’t know if it’s about affordability so much as education and time management. It’s much easier to access and make cheap processed shite than preparing a healthier meal.

I don’t know if it’s about affordability so much as education and time management. It’s much easier to access and make cheap processed shite than preparing a healthier meal.
Aye this. Baracus is correct in that there is a lazy myth spun about eating fresh ans cooking from scratch but the reality of it is likely that a lot of people simply cant be arsed. Theres most likely an education thing going on too. Jamie Oliver has been mentioned.... When he was campaigning for healthy school meals there was scumbag parents outside the gates kicking off and demanding that wee Britney gets turkey twizzlers if she wants them. How do you get past that sort of attitude?

There was a story of a chip van being banned from parking outside a school and some jakeball parents were passing various suppers through the railings to their chubby wee offspring.

This is the sort of mindset some folk have.

Giving your kids long term heart disease to own Jamie Oliver is funny tbf. I remember his wee face crying at those parents.
He is a fanny, but he was on the money there. Change is a slow process but there is always a moment where you can say it germinated. Jamie Oliver and the school dinners thing sparked something in this country, but the fucking pond life who only see it as an infringement of their right to half arsedly raise their spawn with the minimum effort will always be the last to toe the line. They will be left behind though. Todays obesity crisis will not be the same in 10 years I would bet on that.

Its like the current lurching towards common sense with single use plastic. In years to come David Attenborough will take a lot of credit for that.

He is a fanny, but he was on the money there. Change is a slow process but there is always a moment where you can say it germinated. Jamie Oliver and the school dinners thing sparked something in this country, but the fucking pond life who only see it as an infringement of their right to half arsedly raise their spawn with the minimum effort will always be the last to toe the line. They will be left behind though. Todays obesity crisis will not be the same in 10 years I would bet on that.

Its like the current lurching towards common sense with single use plastic. In years to come David Attenborough will take a lot of credit for that.

I’m glad that it’s Attenborough’s thoughts on single use plastic that’s taken hold and not his Malthusian eugenics.