General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

12 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Signed.

I'm sure there was a time when a Home Secretary would have resigned over their department mistakenly persecuting and deporting British citizens.

Mistakenly? Trawling for the kipper vote more like. Even if they didn't expect the effect of the unannounced even in Parliament change in the law, they've known about what's been happening for months and have done f**k all about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/16/windrush-u-turn-welcome-but-theresa-may-policy-cruel

I can't remember the last time that an issue made me this angry.

Edited by welshbairn

Having known people that have worked with Unity Centre and other orgs I’m unsure if the HO is actively targeting people more often than they used to or whether press attention is just being drawn to it after the Brexit vote. The Home Office is an absolutely abhorrent department and that’s why people that were sounding the alarms over Diane Abbott becoming Home Sec were so utterly laughable. An Abbott led HO might add a few extra 000s here or there by accident but I’d feel much more certain they wouldn’t deport Jamaicans who’ve built families here or send LGBT asylum seekers back to face execution in their home countries.

On 15/04/2018 at 15:36, Zetterlund said:

The plot thickens. If Lavrov's claims are correct this will surely be the end of May, Johnson and the rest.

I think the original message from the lab was that it found BZ and a Novichok, even RT reported this , but the Russian spin is trying to push the  BZ angle.

Has anyone else noticed the gradual decline of parks and green spaces in the last few years?

Took a walk through a local park at the weekend and was pretty shocked at how wild and unkept most of it was. Just basic stuff like leaves from autumn still covering the grass and ruining it for years to come. It might not sound like a big deal and I get that there's priorities but surely there's a need to have quality places for kids and recreation? I have to say it made me quite sad to see a place I took pride in when I was wee look so run down. I don't know what the answer is? Get local businesses to sponsor it maybe?

1 minute ago, Jdog said:

I think the original message from the lab was that it found BZ and a Novichok, even RT reported this , but the Russian spin is trying to push the  BZ angle.

The lab is not allowed to discuss its results independently under the OPCW rules, which Russia have signed up to. The stuff RT and Lavrov have been quoting is claimed to be from an anonymous source within the Swiss lab. There's an OPCW meeting on Wednesday which may address the issue, if there is one.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

The lab is not allowed to discuss its results independently under the OPCW rules, which Russia have signed up to. The stuff RT and Lavrov have been quoting is claimed to be from an anonymous source within the Swiss lab. There's an OPCW meeting on Wednesday which may address the issue, if there is one.

http://www.cbw-events.org.uk/faqs-skripal.html#NIL7

Has anyone else noticed the gradual decline of parks and green spaces in the last few years?
Took a walk through a local park at the weekend and was pretty shocked at how wild and unkept most of it was. Just basic stuff like leaves from autumn still covering the grass and ruining it for years to come. It might not sound like a big deal and I get that there's priorities but surely there's a need to have quality places for kids and recreation? I have to say it made me quite sad to see a place I took pride in when I was wee look so run down. I don't know what the answer is? Get local businesses to sponsor it maybe?

Victoria Park in Glasgow was like that the last time I was there.

The grass was overgrown, the water in the pond looked like toxic waste and there were weeds everywhere.

It was a shame to see. Where do the taxes go?
Evidently not on public services.

Israel bombing Syrian airbases now, apparently Russian soldiers were there at the time.

Israel recently stated it would wipe Iran off the map if they tried to get a foothold in Syria.... marvelous!

4 hours ago, Jdog said:

Israel bombing Syrian airbases now, apparently Russian soldiers were there at the time.

Israel recently stated it would wipe Iran off the map if they tried to get a foothold in Syria.... marvelous!

Nope

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/syria/syrian-state-tv-says-missile-attack-on-air-base-thwarted-1.6009200

False Alarm in Syria: Military Sources Says No Attack Overnight

Victoria Park in Glasgow was like that the last time I was there.

The grass was overgrown, the water in the pond looked like toxic waste and there were weeds everywhere.

It was a shame to see. Where do the taxes go?
Evidently not on public services.

The fences haven’t been painted either.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Very accident prone, these Russians.

23 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Syrians/Russians still refusing to allow OPCW access to the site of the alleged chemical attack.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/opcw-inspectors-allowed-syria-douma-uk-delegation-180416093322500.html

I know you're also sceptical of the Douma incident. Did you see this from Robert Fisk in the Independent yesterday?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/syria-chemical-attack-gas-douma-robert-fisk-ghouta-damascus-a8307726.html

15 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I know you're also sceptical of the Douma incident. Did you see this from Robert Fisk in the Independent yesterday?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/syria-chemical-attack-gas-douma-robert-fisk-ghouta-damascus-a8307726.html

It's a bit suspicious that they still haven't let the inspectors access the site when they're letting journos wander about the place. Fisk makes it clear that he doesn't know what happened. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's a bit suspicious that they still haven't let the inspectors access the site when they're letting journos wander about the place. Fisk makes it clear that he doesn't know what happened. 

Syria & Russia had been trying to get the inspectors out since immediately after the alleged attack. They could have delayed or made excuses before they even left for Syria if that was their plan. It's hilariously hypocritical that we're suddenly so full of respect for their work after bombing f**k out the place the night they arrived.

As for Fisk's article, it's a rare example of a mainstream western journalist with credible testimony from people on the ground in Douma telling a story which is the complete opposite of the mainstream narrative, and also corroborates what the Russians & Syrians have been saying. He said the doctors on duty that night are giving evidence presumably to the OPCW so time will tell.

12 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Syria & Russia had been trying to get the inspectors out since immediately after the alleged attack. They could have delayed or made excuses before they even left for Syria if that was their plan. It's hilariously hypocritical that we're suddenly so full of respect for their work after bombing f**k out the place the night they arrived.

As for Fisk's article, it's a rare example of a mainstream western journalist with credible testimony from people on the ground in Douma telling a story which is the complete opposite of the mainstream narrative, and also corroborates what the Russians & Syrians have been saying. He said the doctors on duty that night are giving evidence presumably to the OPCW so time will tell.

The inspectors have been holed up in Damascus since Saturday, all ready to go with UN clearance. The Russians/Syrians are indicating they just might let them visit the site tomorrow. I can't think of any reason for them to delay them for 5 days unless they have something to hide, and possibly to clean up.

The Russians have been saying that British Intelligence staged the attack. The pro regime doctor did not claim that anything was staged, he just had another explanation for the genuine symptoms.

Edited by welshbairn