General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm surprised by the complete lack of balance in terms of looking into what our security forces get up to (or what this guy did to make himself a target).

Obviously a crucial element of these kinds of attacks is keeping it all hush hush - but other than that there's an awful lot of 'won't someone think of the children' responses from our politicians and media.

I'm sorry but if you're a fucking double agent then this shit comes with the job.

I'd say we're entitled to be a bit miffed about Russian agents (if it was them) coming over here and assassinating a spy for whom we'd exchanged a few of theirs, and his daughter, never mind putting bystanders at risk with an internationally banned weapon, even in war. Our traitors are usually allowed to die in the Moscow suburbs from alcoholism and pining for cricket.

I'd say we're entitled to be a bit miffed about Russian agents (if it was them) coming over here and assassinating a spy for whom we'd exchanged a few of theirs, and his daughter, never mind putting bystanders at risk with an internationally banned weapon, even in war. Our traitors are usually allowed to die in the Moscow suburbs from alcoholism and pining for cricket.

I think we should be a bit miffed as well.

I don't think it should take over the entire news cycle and lead to unbelievable rhetoric and bombast by arseholes like Boris. This is a serious issue but it's being way overblown.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I don't think it should take over the entire news cycle and lead to unbelievable rhetoric and bombast by arseholes like Boris. This is a serious issue but it's being way overblown.

Treeza’s Falklands, what?

That Labour MP banging on about the sanctity of our security forces is a grade a weapon. It’ll be great when he books his ticket on the deselection express.

That Labour MP banging on about the sanctity of our security forces is a grade a weapon. It’ll be great when he books his ticket on the deselection express.
It's ridiculous. The BBC are on a feeding frenzy, and a monster is growing from it.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

If the UK narrative is true, what would been a better way of handling it? Diplomats/spies passing each other in Moscow or London as they're being deported isn't going to do much. Should the Government just have pretended it didn't happen? 

Edited by welshbairn

34 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-43448155
Racism and Islamophobia 'getting worse in Scotland'.

Dempster should have known better. It's OK to throw out the most vile of insults and lies about terrible politicians but absolutely do not mention stereotypes about their race.

Are you pished or have you gone native in alt-right land?

In his report, the official said Mr Dempster had been "stating his opinion" that Mr Yousaf "did not give much regard to road transport issues in the south west" and had been "largely anonymous in his presence".

The official said he had told Mr Dempster that Mr Yousaf attended the South West Transport Conference and had met residents in the village of Springholm.

He said Mr Dempster responded by saying: "He may have been at Springholm but no-one would have seen him under his burka."

Edited by welshbairn

I’m neither right or left. I’m a centrist. Both sides have some decent points of view and some awful ones.

Call me cynical but Dempster was only fired because he was caught being racist. He wasn’t fired for being a racist.
He should have stuck to the party line and called Alex Salmond’s wife fat and barren and kept the racist slurs to his own house.

The remarks were stupid and shocking and he should have known better.  He will hopefully be disciplined for them.

I am a wee bit concerned that there is a wider view that Islamaphobia and racism are the same thing; they are not.