General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

20 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'd agree with you here if I didn't think the people on my side of the debate - Owen Jones, Abi Wilkinson etc should also get to f**k for being consistently wrong about almost everything the past three years. Media punditry is more about who you are than your credentials in understanding how politics is shifting and it needs to change across the entire political spectrum and the old guard that runs the media has to change. I'm not limiting where I think that should happen to just the people who aren't on my side.

Not everyone is as slavishly devoted to a party over ideology as you are. My votes are temporary and conditional. I've voted SNP more and been a member of the party longer than I have Labour. That can change again.

So are you as outraged about corbyns lies and smears against the SNP and Leonard's likewise?   Don't see you criticising them.  Me thinks you're a liar.

So are you as outraged about corbyns lies and smears against the SNP and Leonard's likewise?   Don't see you criticising them.  Me thinks you're a liar.

Probs cause Leonard’s harbouring of abusers in the party is a little bit more concerning to me than whatever it is you’re talking about.

This all seems like a bit of a poor way of dealing with this. All Corbyn needed to do was deny the story, or get a spokesperson to deny it, and forget about it. This reaction keeps the story in the spotlight. It's just a bit of a bizarre response, one that will be lapped up by his supporters but I don't think will go down well amongst the rest.

You genuinely believe a major politician should just ignore a major news story slandering them from the front pages of several newspapers?

Really?

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

This all seems like a bit of a poor way of dealing with this. All Corbyn needed to do was deny the story, or get a spokesperson to deny it, and forget about it. This reaction keeps the story in the spotlight. It's just a bit of a bizarre response, one that will be lapped up by his supporters but I don't think will go down well amongst the rest.

Bashing the press is a  popular pursuit no matter what the political persuasion. 

Outside the supporters, plenty of people who will never vote for Corbyn are in favour of the government regulating the press, or are at least of the view that the press are awful and can't be trusted. Much of the latter has been brought on the press itself for publishing stories that are false or sensationalised, which in turn feeds the former.

Threatening the press for me reflects very poorly as it is comes across as the toys going out the pram for bad things being printed , but it will be generally popular. Calling them out for falsehoods is however perfectly right and I'd be pretty pleased if he did end up suing  given the serious nature of what was alleged. 

So you're condoning Leonard's lies and ignoring corbyns.   So you're a liar and tribal.  

Call me a fantasist and/ or craven so we can complete the list of insults you fling about with a lack of self-awareness. Please, it’s very funny.

Bashing the press is a  popular pursuit no matter what the political persuasion. 
Outside the supporters, plenty of people who will never vote for Corbyn are in favour of the government regulating the press, or are at least of the view that the press are awful and can't be trusted. Much of the latter has been brought on the press itself for publishing stories that are false or sensationalised, which in turn feeds the former.
Threatening the press for me reflects very poorly as it is comes across as the toys going out the pram for bad things being printed , but it will be generally popular. Calling them out for falsehoods is however perfectly right and I'd be pretty pleased if he did end up suing  given the serious nature of what was alleged. 

I think it’s good to threaten the press now and again. It was amusing to see Jim Waterson shitting himself despite being the editor of a publication which published the home address of a Hillsborough campaigner just because they were a Corbyn supporter.

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Call me a fantasist and/ or craven so we can complete the list of insults you fling about with a lack of self-awareness. Please, it’s very funny.

Never once called anyone a fantasist champ.  Glad we established lies and smears are fine with you as long as they're labour lies and smears.  Must say I'm shocked.

I cannot believe "craven" was missing. Truly shocking omission from the boy blunder. Losing his touch ?

I cannot believe "craven" was missing. Truly shocking omission from the boy blunder. Losing his touch ?

Say what you will but Cat Boyd, Patrick Harvie and myself are regularly out there on the streets slandering the SNP to all any and whomst will listen.

29 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Say what you will but Cat Boyd, Patrick Harvie and myself are regularly out there on the streets slandering the SNP to all any and whomst will listen.

You go out on the streets with Cat Boyd and Patrick Harvie?

Good to see JMOs fucking terrible politics never change.

Haven’t seen him posting as much recently. Can only assume he’s taken up a doorman position outside women’s bathrooms to stop trans people using their preferred toilet.