General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

And they pay for access. No country outwith the EU has access to the SM unless they pay for it. Leaving the EU meant leaving the SM... or paying for access to it.

Do you need reminded of the EU Referendum question?

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?"

No mention of Single Market.

No mention of Customs Union.

No mention of paying or not paying.

44 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

And they pay for access. No country outwith the EU has access to the SM unless they pay for it. Leaving the EU meant leaving the SM... or paying for access to it.

Turkey has no freedom of movement and the flow of money is the other way.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

And that's why the UK are likely to adopt the Turkish model.

With no freedom of movement for us to Europe, and we'd have to pay based on our GDP.  No thanks.

You don't give up the argument just because of a vote.
After a General Election you don't go, oh well better pack it in then and become a Tory.

Of course you don't and we should try and stay in EU etc etc. My point is that a vote to leave the EU meant leaving the SM as we know it. When I voted to remain I was very clear that remaining in the SM was part of vote.

45 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Of course you don't and we should try and stay in EU etc etc. My point is that a vote to leave the EU meant leaving the SM as we know it. When I voted to remain I was very clear that remaining in the SM was part of vote.

That's the problem - leave voters were told that we'd still be in the single market and the customs union.  They were seriously misled.

55 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

You were better informed than many voters then. Which is the entire point being made here. A huge portion of the population were misled and outright lied to. And they didn't know what they were voting for. Which is pretty clear from the shift in attitudes of many leave voters who had no idea of the clusterfuck coming.

It was a non-binding idiotic referendum that was only called because Cameron wanted to save his job. Am I f**k going to see all of this and say "oh well, that's it then" when this is going to be an absolute disaster for many of us.

Fair enough but it's safe to say that leave voters knew they were voting to end free labour movement. Goods and Labour =SM

Some, yes. Others will have believed the, constant, reassurances from their own side that we would remain in the Single Market regardless of the outcome.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:

Fair enough but it's safe to say that leave voters knew they were voting to end free labour movement. Goods and Labour =SM

It's safe to say they were told they could end  EU immigration without consequences you mean.  They had no idea that it would impinge on SM membership or the rights of UK immigrants in the EU - that was just scaremongering.  Their delusions are well-documented and extensive.  That's no basis for a massive constitutional change like Brexit.

https://www.ft.com/content/877e1c96-2cce-11e6-bf8d-26294ad519fc

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-boris/uk-will-retain-access-to-the-eu-single-market-brexit-leader-johnson-idUKKCN0ZC13W

Jesus mother of Mary... another Tory councillor in Scotland is outed as a Nazi...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/tory-councillor-hot-water-after-11798420

“Ruth Davidson clearly hasn’t got a grip of the far right problem that lurks within her own ranks.”

The Nazi eagle or “parteiadler” (party’s eagle) was developed by the party in the 1920s and used in various forms in the 1930s after the Nazis came to power in Germany. It normally also shows a swastika, the party’s main emblem.

There is no such swastika emblem on Cllr Good’s tattoo.

A similar icon, the Reichsadler, or Imperial Eagle, based on the emblem of the Roman Empire, was used by the newly-unified German state after 1871 and later adapted and used by the Nazis.

Cllr Good’s Facebook page - under the name “Bob Le Bon” - shows three images relating to the Nazis.

The first is a Nazi-era German newspaper, the second shows the Nazi Imperial Eagle with an image of a Soviet soldier raising the red flag in Berlin, and the third shows mannequins dressed in Nazi uniform with an image of Adolf Hitler behind them.

5 hours ago, NotThePars said:

There's probably gonna be a gradual shift in favour of the softest of Brexits over the next 12 months. Unless someone that isn't a roaster makes a commanding case for sacking the whole thing off.

Yeh agree with this. The Ireland situation has changed everything. They’ll fudge it, they’ll dress it up as something else but I’m starting to think the UK will have single market access etc. Don’t think it’ll go as far as abandoning the whole mess completely though. 

Being an SNP lad with an eye firmly on another Indy Ref the above scenario creates some real thinking for the leadership.