General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I see Ruth "No Surrender" Davidson getting fired in on Twitter after the likes of the Express (shock), the Mail (shock) and the Scotsman (shock) all railed against the SNP tax plans. Maybe she would have been happier if they had gone after disabled folk or people struggling on benefits? Ruth seems to have no issue supporting moves to take money from them.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

I see Ruth "No Surrender" Davidson getting fired in on Twitter after the likes of the Express (shock), the Mail (shock) and the Scotsman (shock) all railed against the SNP tax plans. Maybe she would have been happier if they had gone after disabled folk or people struggling on benefits? Ruth seems to have no issue supporting moves to take money from them.

I hear it is so bad Ruth is considering taking a job down south.

51 minutes ago, RiG said:

The Tories are all over the place with their attacks on this. They somehow aren't seeing the inherent and obvious contradiction in portraying a tax increase of £1.35 a week for someone on £40K as an 'outrageous attack on aspiration' while simultaneously saying the SNP aren't really doing anything to help low income earners as someone on £15-20K is only saving £1.73 a week and that's apparently so small a sum that it'll make no difference. It's an absolutely preposterous line of attack, and that's before we even consider that this is the same Conservative Party responsible for taking £30 a week from disability benefit, imposing the two child cap on tax credits, and several other policies which have reduced incomes by tens of pounds per week.

I'd prefer the tax proposals to go further, and I expect they still might in order to raise the extra money for local government required for Green support: possibly by removing the inflationary adjustment on the higher bands that will actually see someone on £50K saving more than someone on £26K and those on £60K losing less than those on £35K. However, seeing the reaction from the papers and Tories today only makes me more convinced the SNP have played a blinder here. They've completely neutered any attacks from the right with the cut for lower earners which has left the Tories tying themselves in knots, while they've come out with a tax proposal that is undeniably progressive and makes it hard for the left to dismiss - it's not as far as the Greens or Labour would go but it's going to be enough for them to accept with some minor tweaks rather than an overhaul in order to fund their requests.

44 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Shining star of the aberdeen tories here.You need to read his thoughts

Just saw that on Twitter I m not sure he will reply to me.... anyway

http://derekbateman.scot/

A more coherent look at the budget.

Edited by capybara

52 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Shining star of the aberdeen tories here.You need to read his thoughts

Fair play to you but I couldn't clutter up my day with shite like that appearing on my social media pages if I had them.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'd rather they suffer through realising the futility of their existence when they inevitably (attempt to) fulfil their survivalist dream only to go back to their maw's after four days because they ran out of tins of mushy peas.

^^^^ Snowflake.

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If you see the words "taxation is theft" anywhere you can immediately stop reading and discount anything else the person responsible has to say or think about anything.

I hate it when the Scottish government steal my money and spend it on shite like the NHS, education and other good positive things. Absolute arseholes.