General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

58 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

But it's ok in northern Ireland apparently, but no doubt if I'm wrong someone on here can clarify this

Yes The Police Service of Northern Ireland doesn't pay VAT and neither does "Highways England" another "national" body.  It was imposed on Police Scotland out of sheer spite.

Yes The Police Service of Northern Ireland doesn't pay VAT and neither does "Highways England" another "national" body.  It was imposed on Police Scotland out of sheer spite.

Yes, I thought that, and that the rules had actually been bent to allow the highways lot to pay nothing.

Funnily enough the only people I’ve noticed get properly seething about this policy are Rangers fans, a Conservative councillor from Angus, and the people who drink until they’re throwing up everywhere.

Which Councillor? We elected quite a few seething Tory muppets in May.

"There are no unemployed people" according to Phillip Hammond.
Surprised they haven't made more of the 0% unemployment rate for PR purposes.

You would think they would be singing that (success) from the rooftops eh!?
Having said that, 1.4m unemployed but pro-EU commentators claiming that Brexit will leave us with an employment shortage of 300k workers p/a arriving from Europe. How does one figure equate to the other? Are all those out of work completely unemployable??
Baffling!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-icj-judges-none-first-time-history-international-court-justice-withdraw-candidate-a8066336.html

Britain to have no judges on International Court of Justice for first time ever after withdrawing candidate

Another Brexit bonus, no doubt.  Britain's influence is shrinking before our very eyes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-42064804

2/3 of police who answered a poll want to be armed to respond to "spontaneous violence".

90% want tasers to be standard issue (to be fair I thought they already were)

I'd really like to know what kind of spontaneous violence they are expecting to quell with handguns. Saturday night fights outside the pub? Domestic abuse? 

Is local government VAT exempt?

The public sector body I work for have to pay VAT. I believe we can claim some (not all) back, but we have to pay it.

It's just lazy reporting. Local govt, police etc all incur VAT, but are able to reclaim it under s33 of the VAT Act. For some reason, Police Scotland wasn't added to the list.

NHS bodies, govt departments etc get to claim under s41 of the VAT Act, a more restricted regime.

It's just lazy reporting. Local govt, police etc all incur VAT, but are able to reclaim it under s33 of the VAT Act. For some reason, Police Scotland wasn't added to the list.

NHS bodies, govt departments etc get to claim under s41 of the VAT Act, a more restricted regime.

One explanation is that tax status is the kind of detail that should have been picked up at committee stage but because the SNP held a majority they were able to push it through without full scrutiny, another explanation is that the opposition parties weren’t interested in constructive cross party scrutiny and instead were devoting their energies to knee jerk SNPBAD contrarianism.

You can take whichever story appeals to your allegiances

Whoever you blame for the lack of effective cooperation it does highlight a weakness in a constitutional arrangement built on the assumption that the electoral system wouldn’t produce a majority party.

Watched the programme tonight that was broadcast yesterday on the BBC about Corbyn and the 2017 election.  

There are some sleazeball Labour MPs but Stephen Kinnock stands head and shoulders above them as the sleaziest.

Also whilst there were Labour MPs in safe seats who were out helping colleagues in marginals he was shown to be working purely in his own very safe seat.

Sadly the programme makers seemed reluctant to ask the Corbyn critics who were very vocal in the early part of the programme about their views after the result.

Watched the programme tonight that was broadcast yesterday on the BBC about Corbyn and the 2017 election.  
There are some sleazeball Labour MPs but Stephen Kinnock stands head and shoulders above them as the sleaziest.
Also whilst there were Labour MPs in safe seats who were out helping colleagues in marginals he was shown to be working purely in his own very safe seat.
Sadly the programme makers seemed reluctant to ask the Corbyn critics who were very vocal in the early part of the programme about their views after the result.

Cracking bit of TV that was.The visible distress Stephen suffered on realizing JC would not be leaving the next morning [emoji23]. The "vote for me to get rid of JC" pitch the other Blairite woman used.TV gold.